Directv Now adds DVR cloud

Looks like the satellite dish is history. I’m excited. Too many variables with weather with the dish. Just wonder how soon this will take place? OTT DBS offering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looks like the satellite dish is history. I’m excited.
I'm not sure how you arrived at this conclusion. The article makes it very clear that DIRECTV NOW is an "alternative" and based on what we know about their offering, it is currently very far from that.
Just wonder how soon this will take place? OTT DBS offering?
If you're asking when the entirety of the DIRECTV lineup is available OTT, perhaps later than sooner as the local channels and RSNs (the stuff that live TV is made of) may be really sticky wickets.

Another issue that the sound bites don't seem to address is what, if anything, AT&T is forced to divest itself of to make the Time Warner deal happen. One of the mileposts to releasing the new and improved DIRECTV Now and Watch ATT products that Stephenson offered is the completion of the Time Warner deal that we have been made aware is the subject of DOJ anti-trust concerns.

If the price difference is only $20, many would likely take their chances with what they know rather than what AT&T promises.

Reactions: Jillian2
If you read article it clearly states ATT wants to offer exact same services with OTT as they do with the dish

Only 20 hours of storage, a 30-day time limit, AND some shows swapped out for on demand versions with unskippable ads? (according to some Beta users) Um, no thank you. This combines all the annoying limits of the other services' DVRs in one package.

If you read article it clearly states ATT wants to offer exact same services with OTT as they do with the dish
It also clearly states that DIRECTV and Time Warner will be part of the equation but we also know that the DOJ isn't down with that.

Wanting is nice but getting is what counts.

I'm not sure how you arrived at this conclusion. The article makes it very clear that DIRECTV NOW is an "alternative" and based on what we know about their offering, it is currently very far from that.If you're asking when the entirety of the DIRECTV lineup is available OTT, perhaps later than sooner as the local channels and RSNs (the stuff that live TV is made of) may be really sticky wickets.

Another issue that the sound bites don't seem to address is what, if anything, AT&T is forced to divest itself of to make the Time Warner deal happen. One of the mileposts to releasing the new and improved DIRECTV Now and Watch ATT products that Stephenson offered is the completion of the Time Warner deal that we have been made aware is the subject of DOJ anti-trust concerns.

If the price difference is only $20, many would likely take their chances with what they know rather than what AT&T promises.
I don't get why people are waiting for OTT services to carry the same local channels you can already get for free. If you want to watch locals on your mobile device, just get an OTA Tivo, no fee. We need OTT services for pay tv channels, not free locals.

Clearly states they will offer a broadband version of their satellite service by years end. Like I said earlier, say goodbye to the dish

and like mdram said earlier, not all people have the necessary broadband to stream. The dish isn’t going anywhere...

It will clearly be on a back burner. Correct it will stay for legacy customers but I wouldn’t expect any ground breaking equipment or advances. Their focus will strictly be OTT as it is now.

I don't get why people are waiting for OTT services to carry the same local channels you can already get for free. If you want to watch locals on your mobile device, just get an OTA Tivo, no fee. We need OTT services for pay tv channels, not free locals.
Not everyone has convenient OTA access to locals so those people (and those who don't want to wire an antenna around) need an alternative that meets that need.

I would expect someone who travels to know that.

The TiVo in particular can be a real bearcat if you don't also have always-on Internet access.

Reactions: xfoneguy
Clearly states they will offer a broadband version of their satellite service by years end. Like I said earlier, say goodbye to the dish.
They won't even have the DVR feature up to speed until "late Summer" so I'm not sure how they get from practically nothing to Genie by year end.

It looks like only Chrome and Safari are supported on iOS/tvOS v10+ while FireTV (2nd gen+), Android (5+ with Chrome "second gen") and Roku support is still not there.

An enhanced DIRECTV NOW experience

Talk has been virtually worthless when it comes to delivering anything like the current DIRECTV experience through DIRECTV Now.

If they dumb the Genie down (i.e. not being able to skip commercials in even more content) to meet DIRECTV Now, there's surely going to be a thermonuclear reaction.

Then there's still the three stream limit.

AT&T can't even get rid of U-verse, so how are they going to retire DirecTV?

Lol. This is true. I think the plan has always been to have a solid OTT plan in place first. 5G will play a huge role in ATT being able to avoid ISP’s. Once that’s set say goodbye to the dish and Uverse

AT&T can't even get rid of U-verse, so how are they going to retire DirecTV?
By selling it off to DISH of course.

I'd still like to have a glimpse into the future to see how the DOJ complaints pan out as AT&T is doing their best to imply that the Time Warner acquisition is somehow imperative.

Reactions: ncted
I really like the new guide and I am hopeful, after a few months, a large increase in DVR size will be included at no extra cost. We shall see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts