Directv now questions

Searching for titles will never approach the instant gratification of surfing a single service. Its just too messy (even with voice control). I suspect that this is why penetration of streaming remains limited.

Plexes like those in the MTV family are proof that people prefer to consume store-bought content that is bad for them rather than hunting down content that is good for them.
You mean for you. Others may enjoy the chase, so to speak.

And for me there is no chase. I know what program I am looking for and I type it in or say it. If it isn't available it gives me similar content.

Much faster for me than surfing to see what it on, but that's mainly because of my watching habits these days.

I certainly won't say the same is true for everyone as we all have different wants and tastes.

I do think however that people have become accustomed to big packages and surfing so that's what they do.

Once changed to a streaming platform, it becomes second hand using the method I use.

Reactions: raoul5788
I suspect that this is why penetration of streaming remains limited.

Limited? For OTT live streams sure, but that is because it is in its infancy. So to compare its base with cable or sat that has been around for decades is not an apples to apples at all. Fact is though, cable and sat numbers are shrinking for the most part, and streaming numbers are growing for the most part.

For streaming such as Netflix (100 million subscribers), Hulu (12 million or so), Prime (not sure a streamer count, but prime members are in the millions) and the like, I would hardly call the penetration limited.

Reactions: spencer7779
For streaming such as Netflix (100 million subscribers), Hulu (12 million or so), Prime (not sure a streamer count, but prime members are in the millions) and the like, I would hardly call the penetration limited.
As long as all of these services combined don't fulfill pretty much everyone's need, OTT is still a supplement.

Reactions: andy_horton
And that's fine for them (and pretty much everyone who does FTA), but for the overwhelming majority, the purpose of TV is just to watch it.

I expect that in the long term, aggregation services (such as a cross-platform search feature) will become the new "carriers" and they'll surely find ways to monetize their products as TiVo has been doing all along: giving us a new look at the same stuff we already get.

Last edited:
Reactions: primestar31
Received my new phone on May 18th. The newer 1945 model.
ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1499652021.011419.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)