DirecTV offers basic packages to boost growth

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I just want a wireless internet with the D* bundle so hopefully in the near future all the people than live out in the country will have internet and D* holding hands, I can wait, I love it. That is the reason to stay with D* the looks for ways so customers are able to take advantage of the whole VOD.

The idea of $20 VOD titles would be a delight to me. I go out to a movie and all through showing there is a dance of lights from smart phones in the auditorium while people text out and read incoming texts. Of course they think this is ok, but to me, it is distracting and RUDE. That little spot of light x 10 or 20 phones busy with texting, is getting out of control. So if I could stay home and avoid that annoyance, I say bring on the VOD.

Also not everyone lives ten minuets from a movie theater. VOD could be a god send if you lived an hour from the nearest theater, and you had a good ISP.

$30 or $40...If they could throw in a discount for the DVD/Blu ray to be used later when it is released. It actually might be a good deal. Would I personally spend that kind of money, no ... But for those with a large family...it could be a really good deal.

Why in the world would they do that?? You don't get a discount off the DVD/BD for turning in your ticket stub from when you saw it in the theater, so why would you get a discount for buying it on PPV?

And Dodgerking, movies do not hit PPV until they are on DVD/BD. And that doesn't happen a few weeks after it leaves the theater, it's MONTHS. The average lead time from theater to disc is 4.5 months. But then by your rationale, you could then argue 'why pay $4.99 for it on PPV when it'll be in the Redbox for $1 in 4 weeks'? Or even go further and say 'why pay $1 at the Redbox when it'll be on Starz in a month'? If it's not worth it to you, fine, Don't buy it. But don't call people fools and criticize them for being willing to pay a premium (and in most cases that 'premium' would be less than what they'd normally spend on tickets) to NOT have to go to a theater to watch a new movie. Mr TV hit the nail square on the head. It sucks to go to the theater because people are f**king rude. It's too bad it's illegal to beat them within an inch of their life with the cell phone they can't seem to put away, or else it might be a little more pleasant.

Last edited:
I think they may have two good ideas going. One the basic tier package, I know for many of us it may not appeal to as I think a while ago someone was a able to post the channels that were going to be in the basic pack and of course it lacked MLB and such. But for those who are maybe Dish 120 subs could be a good deal and in regartd to the 20-30 dollar VOD, if they are movies out right now its not a bad deal 8-11 dollars per person unless you catch a afternoon show, though it is nice somethimes to leave the house :)

I am thinking this might be it for the base backage going out to test markets?

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/231672-new-select-package.html

In this economy smaller is always better. Direct need's to take lessons from the old C band model. Smaller packages and pick and choose. Paying for 90% of channels you don't watch is crazy, even in good economic times. Hopefully this will start a trend with all pizza and cable providers to offer more choice at lower prices.

Sports channels like ESPN and the Fox Sportnets are the most expensive channels. They add unnecessary costs to packages and should be offered as add on's to a basic tier.

Here's a plan, you get a basic tier, add sports if wanted and or add small packs such as music, family, drama etc. What I would love to see is a pick 10, pick 20 ala carte type thing.

By not offering AMCHD, TMCHD and BBCHD after the successful launch of D12, DIRECTV has clearly signalled their intent not to engage in a channel by channel competiton with other providers. Fortunately Netflix and Hulu and Amazon offer reasonable work-a-rounds. I might not have pursued those work-a-rounds as a first choice if DIRECTV had signalled an intent to aggressively compete for national HD. But they didn't and I did. So if DIRECTV offers reduced cost packages and targeted sports offerings I will be happy. As far as the PPV movies, I am not interested. The rare times I am driven to see something first run I prefer going the extra mile to see it at a theater and turn it into a date night with my wife or an outing to have fun with my family outside of the house. If others are happy paying a few extra bucks to see it at home, that's great too. To each their own.

But the main thrust of what is being said is that Mr. White has made a decision from the top that is going to reshape the way many of us view TV. As consumers we will undoubtedly react in many ways.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.