Directv on boat

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BMcKen1912

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 17, 2004
Mississippi
Does anyone have a boat that they use Directv on?

The boat people were telling us that the satellite dish would block parts of the radar. Is this correct? Also do you think it is worth getting if you are going on overnight fishing trips?

Thanks

I don't know about the radar blocking but, with the wake and floating I don't see how you could get a signal locked with a standard dish unless you got the portable DirecTV unit. It seems to me that you would get signal locked and then it would be gone.

Does anyone have a boat that they use Directv on?

The boat people were telling us that the satellite dish would block parts of the radar. Is this correct? Also do you think it is worth getting if you are going on overnight fishing trips?

Thanks

There are systems that use gyro type dish stabilization. They cost severl thousand dollars. If you do a google search for Marine satellite systems, you can see a list of some of the different ones.

For a simple overnight fishing trip I would probably take a portable DVD player unless I was going over night every night....

My boss has one of the gyro systems on his houseboat. I hear it works pretty well (I've never seen it while the boat is moving.)

If you spent all the money for one of those, not only will it stay aimed, but it is probably low-profile enough to stay out of the radar. But they are expensive.

Those boat tracking things work at anchor with calm conditions and are, as mentioned, expensive.

Clamping a dish to a piling is not too tough. You need many miles of cable for long trips.

Joe

Yes..someone was saying it would physically block part of the radar, but it's not true..talked to some people today and lots of the charter boat captains use them to watch the football games while they are taking people out.

It's some sort of tracking satellite..it works while in motion. We just bought a new boat today..so was considering getting one. The boat even has HD tv's on it :D. Don't know if I can get HD with the satellite though.

thanks for the responses.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts