DirecTV On Demand, very disappointed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
strange - for me, both HD and SD content downloads much faster than i can watch it .. i have zero delay between starting the download and being able to watch the program ... a 45 min HD show downloads in around 25-30 mins on my connection ... (12-15 Meg cable connection)

I too have no viewing delays or issues; not when I had 6mbps or now with 8. Could the content be more robust; sure. But considering it is still in it's DirecTV infancy AND that the content still comes via the program providers; I think they are doing a hell of a job. I not a huge fan of PPV or VoD anyway; I can find plenty of content without it; and see it somewhat as a fad thing at this point. MAYBE one day they will do something to change my mind with VoD, but PPV still hasn't after all these years.

Jokeworm, how are you connected to the internet? What modem are you using, and do you have it configured in any special way?

Jokeworm, how are you connected to the internet? What modem are you using, and do you have it configured in any special way?

Cox cable --> modem (motorola sb5120) --> router (Dlink Dir 625) --> Dlink Ethernet Switch (DES-1108) --> Directv receiver (HR-21) .. all hard-wired ethernet ...

My internet Connection is split between four computers, two media players, and two VOIP adapters .. all pretty much run 24*7 ...

There is no special connection or configuration .. i did not put anything into routers DMZ or forward any ports ... just plugged an ethernet cable from one of the spare slots on my switch into the back of my receiver ... and everything worked as advertized.

Virtually the same for me except I use assigned IP addresses in my network, I have a static IP from AT&T and only the VoIp adapter is setup for DMZ per the providers recommendation.

My connection is split between 3 computers, a media players, and a VoIP adapter.

AT&T DSL (assigned static IP) --> --> DSL Filter --> GAteway (ActionTec GT724R) --> Router (D-link DI-624 for wireless access to visitors) --> D-link Ethernet Switch (DSS-16+) --> DirecTV (HR-20 & 21) .. all hard-wired.

lol Don't have an download issue either. It can pretty much a HD without delay.

FIOS ActionTec Router ---> HR20
All hard wired.

FYI I spit mine between 360, VoIP adapter, PC.

Last edited:
I've used it for kids shows and works good enough. I have a really fat pipe down (14 mbps). So works well. The content is mostly fluff. I never did think it was going to be much but marketing to keep up with cable. End of day, Netflix with an HD DVR is good enough. I like the concept of on demand, I just dont like being nickled and dimed. And free things are usually old stuff not worth watching. So DoD is what it is. Nothing more.

I not a huge fan of PPV or VoD anyway; I can find plenty of content without it; and see it somewhat as a fad thing at this point. MAYBE one day they will do something to change my mind with VoD, but PPV still hasn't after all these years.

I view VOD as a wonderful thing (much greater than just a fad), and have been using it since its launch with my cable company a few years ago (02-04?). I now have cable and DirecTV and even if DirecTV didn't have VOD, it would be worth the trade off with cable because fo all the HD channels we get. I have all my movie channels (Premiere package) with DirecTV and just a bare bones HD-DVR with the standard digital/HD channels with cable. Although cable has more of the multichannel premiums, I prefer having my premiums with DirecTV because of HD and a better aspect ratio on so many of them, vs 1 HBO HD and 1 Showtime HD with the cable provider, and nothing more.

DirecTV will improve VOD, it is new (yes, six months in beta is still new)... let's give it time. In the mean time, DirecTV has a great search feature. Instead of bitching about the lack of HD VOD like many, I have been planning ahead and recording all the movies in HD that I could otherwise VOD in a somewhat crappy SD version. We have DVRs people, load them up with movies and enjoy. I wouldn't just rely on VOD and never did with cable either. I use it yes, but record more by way of planning ahead and recording from within the guide or on the wonderful online guide interface that allows us to schedule a recording from anywhere in the world and have the command to record sent to our DVRs.

I agree with you completely on PPV. I never order PPV, not even worth the hassle of the free coupons. I either buy my movies on DVD, bluray (HD-DVD, I wish) or wait for them to come on the premiums, but never order PPV and never watch movies on basic cable channels like TNT or TBS, with their edited to death ripping apart of the movies and commercial interruptions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts