DirecTv On Demand

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

glen4cindy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
St. Louis MO, area
Is there any way to get DirecTv On Demand without buying the $199 HD Plus DVR?

I'm even considering getting rid of DTV altogether and building my own HTPC. From what I looked at, SageTv might be a good choice, but, to add a 2nd TV into the mix would require the HD Theater unit which is $199. I like my DVR and if I get rid of DTV I would lose many channels as I have basic cable because it is required when you have internet service from the CATV co.

With the HTPC, SageTv, the HD Theater unit, I could recoup my $1000 yearly sub fees to DTV in less than a year. I could also use the HD Theater unit to stream alot of content from the web, which would work to replace some of my content that would be lost by ditching DTV.

If I went the DTV on Demand route, I would obviously be keeping DTV, but, some sort of DVR is necessary for some of the wife's programming likes require both of my tuners to be in use at the same time.

Thanks

Is there any way to get DirecTv On Demand without buying the $199 HD Plus DVR?T

hanks
Yes, the R22. You can't pick and choose which receiver you get from ordering with DirecTV, so ordering on your own is your best bet in getting a R22. I've shopped with solidsignal and if you want to buy the R22 online (IMO) they're the best.

DIRECTV R22 - DIRECTV PLUS+ DVR Digital Multi-Satellite Receiver (R22) | R22 [DIRECTV]

More info one the R22: http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...rectvs-new-r22-sd-dvr-targeting-mpeg4-sd.html

Yes, the R22. You can't pick and choose which receiver you get from ordering with DirecTV, so ordering on your own is your best bet in getting a R22. I've shopped with solidsignal and if you want to buy the R22 online (IMO) they're the best.

Hey thanks for the link, but, the statement that I read on the website it a HUGE sign to me that I should not ever BUY equipment.....

"As of 3/1/06 DIRECTV® now requires a 24 month commitment and all equipment must be returned to DIRECTV® if customer cancels service with DIRECTV® "

So, ***I*** spend $99 for an R22 and when I cancel my service, I have to send ***MY*** R22 to DirecTv. That's not even right. I don't see how they can legally make a customer give them equipment that they had to purchase themselves. I can see having to return equipment DTV sends but not equipment you buy yourself.

Well the "good" news is that whether you get it from Solid Signal, Best Buy, or DirecTV directly, you are not buying the receiver, you are leasing it. The link that was posted is actually a lease. It will be $99 no matter who you go through. At least through a retailer, you know exactly what you are getting.

Understand that the retail price of an R22 is much more than $99. It is actually much closer to $480 which is the amount they will charge you for it if you don't activate it or fail to return it.

The $99 is a "lease entry fee". You are NOT buying the receiver. This equipment model was adopted by DIRECTV in March of 2006.

Know also that adding an R22 to your account will commit you to 24 months of qualifying programming.

DIRECTV Equipment Lease Addendum

Well, I appreciate the information. I do know one thing. I will not be "purchasing" any equipment from DirecTv or anyone else for that matter.

I would really like a HD Plus DVR but, the fact that $200 is a lease entry fee, and does not make the equipment "mine" is way too high a cost.

Does this new policy also apply to the current DVR's that I purchased from Best Buy long before they began this policy?

If so, then DirecTv must have instituted this new policy in a effor to forever lock someone into service with them.

I like my Tivo's. It's clear that I will never get them back should I leave DTV and see that I made the wrong choice, I would not be able to afford restarting service, with 3 DVR's again with those kinds of pricing models.:mad:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)