DirecTV or Voom? Your honest opinion....

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have Directv. I also had Voom in July. I couldn't stand the unreliability of the Voom receiver. I LOVE the HTL-HD from Directv. It is very stable, has PG info for the OTA channels. It pulls in quite a bit of OTA channels vs what the Voom box would do, and yes I had the new software that allowed OTA scanning with Voom.

For me it's Directv hands down.

I do have to jump aboard with the Voom=Movies and DirecTV= Sports statements. That is about as easy as it gets. Based upon my Avatar I think we all know which side of the fence I am on for today and tomorrow ... when we build it, they will come :D

Just to correct your misconceptions on Voom coming from someone who has it:
I wouldn't consider Starz 3 HD channels, TNT HD, and Fox Sports HD paint drying.

neither would I but, moov, gallery, auction.....come on!

Had Voom for 3 months, receiver locked up 3 times. Not good, but not terrible.

my locked up at least 3 times a week....or more

My 52 inch RCA had a problem with centering the picture when using the DVI cable but it was a problem with the TV, not Voom. I fixed it by going into the TV's service menu and adjusting the screen an inch to the right.

I've had 3 D* receivers....all would let you adjust the picture. Voom has the feature, "disabled"

I see all of my OTA channels on the PG and it is seamless.

You must receive OTA from only one market. I can get 3 "one from another state". PG only from the zip Voom had me down for.

I did have terrible rain fade, I called Voom. They upgraded me to a 24" dish for free and I smiled watching College Football through Hurricane Frances a couple weeks ago so, needless to see rain fade problems are gone.
PG sucks, got me on that. The only thing I love about Voom's PG is that I can search by HD, since I always look at that first.
True, we can only hide OTA channels we don't want not regular satellite channels.

Not that you care but just so you have the correct info and don't walk around the earth misleading people.

I do have the correct info

I'm not here to convert you guys, just gather info. We all want to see good PQ, more HD and affordable toys. Who cares what name is on the dish. I'm just trying to see who is the best right now....

I would wait and talk about this in October when Direct TV adds the 24 new HD channels.

Then we can compare.

ScottChez said:
I would wait and talk about this in October when Direct TV adds the 24 new HD channels.

Then we can compare.

October? I thought Direct was adding HD in a couple years when the new birds went up?

If Direct adds 24 new HD channels next month. I would switch over without a doubt, and gladly agree that Direct is the King of HD.

But I would be shocked if they pull that off in one month, let alone one year. Their squeezing bandwidth now to fit ST games. As a matter of fact I don't think 24 new HD channels exist?!

dnyce said:
October? I thought Direct was adding HD in a couple years when the new birds went up?

If Direct adds 24 new HD channels next month. I would switch over without a doubt, and gladly agree that Direct is the King of HD.

But I would be shocked if they pull that off in one month, let alone one year. Their squeezing bandwidth now to fit ST games. As a matter of fact I don't think 24 new HD channels exist?!

I would also be shocked if they pulled it off in October. Birds are not in a couple years either ... April of 2005 is the launch. The NFL ST games look great, as good as my OTA games. I think it is the other channels that suffer not the ST ones. I actually went through my guide last night to document how many channels of SD I actually watch. I came of with 31 ... that is out of the 210 that I have ... DirecTV needs to do a poll, and eliminate (not renew) channels that no one watches. And they can get rid of all of the 7 shopping channels I counted, man that is absurd!

Oh and when D* does fly the new birds each can do 500 LIL HD or 150 national channels ... lots better than what Rainbow 1 can hit!

I had Voom but cancelled because I was having a lot of problems with the Motorola boxes and reception. In fact, Voom had to replace my box three times. There's no doubt that Voom has more HD content but if your having service problems then whats the point?

I know have D* HD and I love it! D* service is 1000% better than Voom and they will be adding more HD content in 2005. I don't miss voom at all.

There are Voom customers that have no problems but in my opinion its a gamble.

It sounds like DirecTV is setting itself up to be the one stop shop for all your TV needs. Sports, Tivo, and HD. If it all pans out next year and Direct has more HD and the PQ is as good or better than Voom for a reasonable price, the King shall be claimed. Then you won't see anymore comparisons of DirecTV to Voom or Dish. I think at that point Dish and Voom would have to merge to try to survive. We'll see what happens...

But for now if you love HD Movies, Voom is the place to be having all premium channels E and W HD feeds plus their exclusives.
If you love Football and security then DirecTV with Sunday Ticket is for you. Being number 1 means you never go away, have the best equipment and everything else that comes with being the biggest with the deepest pockets.

It will be funny 10 years from now when people don't even remember what SD channels look like and TV's come with built in HD DVR's, to look back at how it all started.
Then they'll come out with something new like 1440p Super Definition, and we'll start all over again :rolleyes:

I just switched from Voom to D*. The only reason was to get the HDTivo.

For the record, I would have preferred to stay with Voom if both had DVR options. A lot of their HD exclusives are worthless fluff, but a lot of it is pretty cool stuff. I already miss WorldsportHD A LOT.

But, fact of the matter is - there's so much stuff on my HDTivo waiting for me to watch, that I feel like D* has 100 HD channels. (Compared to the chances of something I like being on Vooms 40+ HD channels including OTA).

Voom beats D*

but

D* + HDTivo beats Voom.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts