DirecTV or Voom? Your honest opinion....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dnyce

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Atlanta
This is my first post on this Forum. I've been Vooming for about 3 months now. Love it and never had a problem, but I have been looking at Direct closely to see if the price drops on the HD Tivo by the holiday season. I am keeping Dish just for my DVR, and Dish seems to be anti HD so their not an option for me.

I know this is a Direct forum and people tend to be overly protective of who they get their Satellite signal from. So I figure this is the best place to come to get some insight from the other side of the fence. I'm curious, in some of your minds why do you think Direct is better than Voom or vice versa?

Actually, this has historically been a Voom-populated forum in the past...

That said, you could debate D*TV vs. Voom til the cows come home.

In the end, it's about HD programming content and locals.

If you like sports, basic HD channels and more on the way, and the ability to get your locals (including OTA HD), D*TV is probably the best for you.

If you want more HD channels, regardless of specific content that you make like, Voom is for you.

This is an over-simplification, but it's a good summary of the high-level differences.

That said, there's one other factor - staying power. D*TV has over 13 Million subscribers, 3 main satellites, and has over $1 Billion invested in 4 new satellites committed for mid-2005 and 2007, just to expand local HD and other HD channels.

Voom has about 29,000 subscribers and one main sat with one backup.

Both services have nice-looking HD. But then , HD is generally nice to look at, no matter who provides it.

If you already have Voom, and you're happy with them, then why change now? If the desire for a PVR is the major factor, but you're willing to wait until xmas, may as well hold out until then to see if Voom has theirs out by then, how much it costs, and how well it works. I think Voom and DirecTV are both in so much flux right now, it really doesn't make much sense to try to make decisions now for a future change. I'd be willing to bet that six months from now, things will be very different for both of them.

When Voom is installed correctly and you dont have any major technical or billing issues I think it is THE choice for the most HD with the best PQ.

However, you do pay more for it, there are fewer SD channels compared to D*, you have to do without a Tivo or DVR and you have to understand that within the next 12 moths Voom will be out of business.

Given those drawbacks, I'll take my "HD lite" on D*.

Good Luck

zubinh said:
When Voom is installed correctly and you dont have any major technical or billing issues I think it is THE choice for the most HD with the best PQ.

However, you do pay more for it, there are fewer SD channels compared to D*, you have to do without a Tivo or DVR and you have to understand that within the next 12 moths Voom will be out of business.

Given those drawbacks, I'll take my "HD lite" on D*.

Good Luck

Zubinh,

I have a Sammy 56" DLP and I am in the process of getting Directv. How do the non-hd channels lool on the DLP.. Right now I have analog/digital cable.
Thanks for the insight!

Okaydave :

The short answer is many SD channels look great while a select few look just average. I cant say that any look bad or unwatchable.

For example, when I watch HBO Standard, the picture is actually very very good. But watching Pax is not too good. Colors are washed out, grainy etc.

Honestly, since I got the Sammy, I dont watch too much SD anymore. My OTA antenna brings in my locals in digital which look awesome and HBO HD looks incredible while Showtime HD looks excellent as well (although not as good as before NFL season began). Discovery HD in the HD pack is beautiful. Between my locals, HBO&Showtime, and the HD pack, thats 90% of my TV watching.

Youre gonna love your D* on your DLP!!!

All good points.

I have heard rumors around about Voom going out of business eventually, but luckily I got in with their $0 promotion so I won't be out a dime. And I'll cross my fingers that if we do go under we get bought out by Direct and get the best of both worlds :)

Right now I think Voom has the advantage.
Not counting the 21 exclusives. Voom has every HD channel out there except for the HDnet's. Plus you can't beat having all of the equipment and OTA antenna for free. Luckily I'm in South Florida so I get 22 OTA channels. And I love being part of a new company, it's constant growth. In the past 3 months we've added USA, Sci Fi, and Fox Sports HD. Plus I just heard we're getting a Kung Fu HD channel on Oct. 1. :D

The three major things keeping me at Voom are:
TNT HD. Basketball season is coming. Yeah it's stretched but it's better than TNT SD.
Starz HD. The only premium package I wanted because it has 3 HD channels. StarzHD-E, StarzHD-W, and Encore HD.
Plus, I spent $1,800 on my 52 inch HDTV. Voom is the only company dedicated solely to HD and having more than anyone else.
So I'll stick with them and we'll see what happens.

It's not all good at Voom. No pay per view is absurd to me. And no DVR hurts like a sucker punch in the gut.

I will say one thing though if Voom does get bought out or fold. It will always be remembered as the company that started the HD revolution. It's not often you see a giant company like Direct make decisions based on the threat of a 29,000 customer start up service.
We all win in the end....

zubinh said:
Okaydave :

The short answer is many SD channels look great while a select few look just average. I cant say that any look bad or unwatchable.

For example, when I watch HBO Standard, the picture is actually very very good. But watching Pax is not too good. Colors are washed out, grainy etc.

Honestly, since I got the Sammy, I dont watch too much SD anymore. My OTA antenna brings in my locals in digital which look awesome and HBO HD looks incredible while Showtime HD looks excellent as well (although not as good as before NFL season began). Discovery HD in the HD pack is beautiful. Between my locals, HBO&Showtime, and the HD pack, thats 90% of my TV watching.

Youre gonna love your D* on your DLP!!!

Thanks for the info! I am looking forward to my HD Tivo.....and Directv.

Thanks again.

Since you are with Voom and happy with them, do you really want to mess with a good thing? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I tried Voom and was not happy with the PQ, this seems to vary across the board. So I am with D* but you need to do what is best for you, not what is best for us.

Voom has the most HD, period. D* promises more HD but until the birds are flying next year it's what ya get ya got.

DirecTV TiVos are great, and the HD-TiVo works just like the SD versions, except with HD capability. Pricey, but they can't be beat. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I had just Voom but I could not resist the Sunday Ticket deal, so I also have DTV. I've been waiting for the Voom DVR but it most likely will never happen.

As soon as the DTV DVR price drops a bit- i'll get one and dump Voom as I pretty much only watch HBOHD-W on Voom.

Get DirecTV! Voom is doomed!!!

"It's not often you see a giant company like Direct make decisions based on the threat of a 29,000 customer start up service".

and where did you get that?
you think what D* is doing as far as HD goes that it has anything to do with Voom??
lol,, get real, D* had plans for more HD long before Voom was even started up.

but to answer the question:
Voom has more HD content, true, if you like that kinda of stuff, I didn't.
most isn't worth watching, just because you can watch paint dry in HD doesn't compel me
Voom STB locks up "Alot", only one brand Motorola
Voom no way to center picture if off center
Voom no PG for OTA that they don't have you locked into
Voom has major rain fade
Voom PG just down right sucks
Voom no way to block/lockout channels

D* not alot of HD but more will be coming
D* lot's of STB to choose from with lot's of features
D* very little if any rain fade

Even if V* comes out with their HD PVR system I'd be leary about spending any $'s on it unless it could be used without the V* service. My luck would be to spend a bunch of $'s on it and a few months later have a paper weight because the company folded. Not saying that it would happen, I'd just be worried about having a box that I couldn't use anywhere else.

rad said:
Even if V* comes out with their HD PVR system I'd be leary about spending any $'s on it unless it could be used without the V* service.
I would tend to agree with that. They need to practically give it away (in HD-PVR terms), or lease it. If I had to buy it outright, I wouldn't pay much more than what the HD is worth. Sounds pessimistic, but considering what most HD-PVRs cost, I'd want to be certain that I wouldn't be throwing my money away, and Voom isn't at a point right now where I'd feel confident in that. I think most people are pretty much banking on the fact that they will offer a lease. Guess that's yet to be seen. It's also yet to be seen how usable and stable they are. These things are much more complex than a simple receiver, and they've had enough challenges with those.

rkr0923 said:
"Voom has more HD content, true, if you like that kinda of stuff, I didn't.
most isn't worth watching, just because you can watch paint dry in HD doesn't compel me
Voom STB locks up "Alot", only one brand Motorola
Voom no way to center picture if off center
Voom no PG for OTA that they don't have you locked into
Voom has major rain fade
Voom PG just down right sucks
Voom no way to block/lockout channels

I guess I struck a nerve their rkr0923...

Just to correct your misconceptions on Voom coming from someone who has it:
I wouldn't consider Starz 3 HD channels, TNT HD, and Fox Sports HD paint drying.
Had Voom for 3 months, receiver locked up 3 times. Not good, but not terrible.
My 52 inch RCA had a problem with centering the picture when using the DVI cable but it was a problem with the TV, not Voom. I fixed it by going into the TV's service menu and adjusting the screen an inch to the right.
I see all of my OTA channels on the PG and it is seamless.
I did have terrible rain fade, I called Voom. They upgraded me to a 24" dish for free and I smiled watching College Football through Hurricane Frances a couple weeks ago so, needless to see rain fade problems are gone.
PG sucks, got me on that. The only thing I love about Voom's PG is that I can search by HD, since I always look at that first.
True, we can only hide OTA channels we don't want not regular satellite channels.

Not that you care but just so you have the correct info and don't walk around the earth misleading people.

I'm not here to convert you guys, just gather info. We all want to see good PQ, more HD and affordable toys. Who cares what name is on the dish. I'm just trying to see who is the best right now....

Sure got some good feedback here. I am in the same boat as you kinda. I currently have Voom and am thinking about switching back to D*.

my thoughts:
1. If you like sports I think D* is the way to go. With the exception of TNT HD on Voom they offer no Fox Sports regional channels and no ST's of any kind. Voom has a rush which is cool if you like that stuff. edge D*

2. The SD content is far better on D* i think. more options for the non HD tv you might have. edge D*

3. Cost...the extra sets are only like $5 a box i think to activate i think compared to the $50 - $200 per box and $10/month. Edge D*

4. Content HD...Vooms gets the nod I think due to more content. Now the problem is some of that content is pure crap. Moov, gallery, auction and most of the cinema 10 I never watch. But...overall with TNT HD, Rush, Rave, and yes even Equator hd with its "mosquito noise" V* offers more. Edge Voom.

5. Customer Service. I am still pissed about the Olympics, NFL HD feed that is suppose to be on 311, and the fact the can not charge my CC correctly any month since I have had V*. D* is not perfect but big edge here to D*.

6. Local OTA....got the free antenna with voom and none with D* so advantage V*.

7. PQ....now that D* is shoving 5 channels on a Transponder( i know that is an exaggeration so save the dumb a** comments) I have to give the edge to V* by a short curly one.

overall. I am still switching back to D* from Voom on the 25th of Sep. when my balance is up. I have sd tv's in the house with 3 kids and there is no way in hell I will pay $200 for a "professional install" for each one even it goes down for more than one. I m sick of watch an analog signal from the antenna during my morning coffee and in bed at night. I will miss some channels but now can watch PPV (in hd too) and get the NFL ST. Also get more kids channels and some others my wife likes like hgtv,diy, fine living or something etc. Voom was something I wanted to try and might go back to as long as they have another $0 upfront which is why i tried it in the first place. I still get the Networks OTA, espnHD, add HDNet, HDNet movies, DHDT(a must), Bravo HD(though i don't watch),and PPV HD. and save about $10 a month. just my thoughts but D* gets the slight edge.

dnyce said:
I guess I struck a nerve their rkr0923...

Just to correct your misconceptions on Voom coming from someone who has it:
I wouldn't consider Starz 3 HD channels, TNT HD, and Fox Sports HD paint drying.
QUOTE]

FoxSports HD is only in Florida.... :confused:

Do you like NFL Football? then D* (Sunday ticket)

Do you like Movies? then Voom? (Va Va Voom)

nuff said. ;)

GregN said:
Do you like NFL Football? then D* (Sunday ticket)

Do you like Movies? then Voom? (Va Va Voom)

nuff said. ;)

I would agree with that to a point re: movies and Voom. The movies they show on their cinema 10 are not recent movies....they are mostly older ones. The HBO's etc r the same I believe.

also if you want any ST's D* is for you. or Fox Sports net local coverage

Cinema 10 reminds me of going into a Video rental store and seeing row after row of old movies that I immediately bypass in order to find the "New Arrivals" section.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts