DirecTV pays $1B for NF ST in 2011 - even if there is no football!

Theoretically no. If more providers offered Sunday Ticket and it was offered for less as a result by those providers, the large bag of money they get for the NBC/CBS/FOX deals would be signifigantly smaller because ratings on networks would be worse, and the value of those contracts is based on the advertising money NBC/CBS/FOX can bring in as a result. The NFL won't be getting a billion/year from each provider, so hard to say the sum of all of the signed up providers will equal what they're getting from DirecTV as well.

There's no way to prove that one way or the other, it's hard to say they would make more or less, there are a lot of moving parts to it most of which we can only speculate about.

But as of right now...only a small portion of the cable/dish subscribers are getting ST. Would you figure that IF offered to MORE folks...MORE folks would buy it?

But as of right now...only a small portion of the cable/dish subscribers are getting ST. Would you figure that IF offered to MORE folks...MORE folks would buy it?
More people would buy it.

But with the package being being exclusive, Directv can use it as a lose leader in order to get more subscribers, so they don't care about losing money on it.
If the package was available to all the providers, then those providers would not want to lose money on it (since it couldn't be used as a loss leader) and the NFL might actually get less money on it.

The NFL does not want Sunday Ticket available to everyone. They are protecting the networks.

Sandra

I guess you just give owners more credit than most of us would. As Sandra said above, do you think for one second that owners would lower ticket prices, lower other fees to attend games (beer/parking/etc.), or lower TV rights fees if they were able to substantially lower player salaries? :rolleyes: By your logic big time college football tickets should be close to free since the only salaries those players make is room and board and tuition (and a few million for the coach).

As an example, I'd like to see how much successful NHL teams (Bruins, Flyers, Rangers) lowered their ticket prices after the 2004 lockout lowered player salaries from 76 percent of revenues to 54 percent of revenues (per Wiki). I couldn't find much info in a quick search, but I don't recall hearing that the Flyers cut ticket prices 30% after the lockout ...

Simple economics ... teams will charge what they can for tickets / TV rights to maximize profit. Changing costs will not substantially affect this. Tickets to Yankees games in the 30's cost 25 cents because that's what fans would pay. The Yankees tried to charge $2500 a game for some seats last year because they thought fans would pay it. Not enough did, and it appears that those seats will now sell for $1500 in 2010.

Thank you! :up It is no different than the airlines....why will they offer a seat $175 round trip when they know there is people always willing to pay more? And IF they WERE to drop prices on the flight...they will make you pay in other ways....like $5 soda cans and $25 for your luggage.

Wake up dude....the owners do not care about the average fan because does not spend as much as the corporate fanS. Perfect example is how much they charege for a Super Bowl/World Series/NBA Finals as compared to regular season. MOST of those seats are priced out of the pocket of Joe Average.

meStevo said:
Theoretically no. If more providers offered Sunday Ticket and it was offered for less as a result by those providers...
But that is the problem with the assumption...

What is the price for 2010 MLB Extra Innings, which is available on:

DirecTV
Comcast
Time Warner
Brighthouse
Cox
Charter
Cablevision
Fios

Anyone want to tell me each provider has a different price? No one can say that, because the 2010 pricing isn't available yet. And the only reason the pricing isn't available is because MLB hasn't set the price.

Yes, here is where the problem lies. There are hardly any differences in pricing between platforms as MLB has set the price of the package.

But that is the problem with the assumption...

What is the price for 2010 MLB Extra Innings, which is available on:

DirecTV
Comcast
Time Warner
Brighthouse
Cox
Charter
Cablevision
Fios

Anyone want to tell me each provider has a different price? No one can say that, because the 2010 pricing isn't available yet. And the only reason the pricing isn't available is because MLB hasn't set the price.

Yes, here is where the problem lies. There are hardly any differences in pricing between platforms as MLB has set the price of the package.

But you really compare the two....because right now....the NFL is MUCH MORE popular than MLB. I don't know about you guys....but IF it is true that now it will be easy to lockout the players by the owners....it's very scary to me that now Directv will dictate how the NFL runs there business....to me it's almost a no brainer they are gonna lockout now. Am I the only one thinking this?:confused::rant::(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts