Directv picture quality!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Enforcer

SatelliteGuys Guru
Apr 12, 2004
131
0
Has anyone seen a difference in the picture quality lately? My locals are absolutely stunning! I have seen small increments of improvements, but tonight its outstanding. The best I have seen. Anyone else?
 

Enforcer

SatelliteGuys Guru
Apr 12, 2004
131
0
I was watching Survivor last night on CBS and it was the best local channel transmission I have seen since having DBS (4 years now).
 

ScottChez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 2, 2003
1,650
142
I was at the MN locals then I moved back to Omaha,

OMaha is on the new SAT, much better pic that the MN locals. I think it depends city to city on the trasponder setup and counts


I have a 65" RPTV
 

Enforcer

SatelliteGuys Guru
Apr 12, 2004
131
0
I have the ability to get CBS HD OTA, but I was watching the local channel CBS on satellite. Besides...Survivor isn't in HD anyhow.
 

Loric

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 18, 2005
46
0
Generally speaking, it may be possible that the TV network (or channels) which run your locals rented more bitrate space from DTV.

This could explain a sudden change of picture quality. When the streams are compressed, there is less information lost and it generally renders in a more 'pleasing to the eye' way.

Or you may just have experiencing a better reception of the same signal. Less errors concealment withing the MPEG decoding means that the video will look better as well.
 

ShadowEKU

Expert in the Making
Supporting Founder
Jul 13, 2004
1,829
0
Frankfort, KY
Even though I have the same locals... yes they are looking better.. ide say close to the quality of some of the SD channels... keep in mind though our locals are not on 105
 

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
23,813
104
Newport News, VA
Loric said:
Generally speaking, it may be possible that the TV network (or channels) which run your locals rented more bitrate space from DTV.

LMFAO, you think local broadcasters rent space from D*???:rolleyes:
 

lee espinoza

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 18, 2004
190
0
ShadowEKU said:
Even though I have the same locals... yes they are looking better.. ide say close to the quality of some of the SD channels... keep in mind though our locals are not on 105
105? You mean 101.
 

Loric

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 18, 2005
46
0
vurbano said:
LMFAO, you think local broadcasters rent space from D*???:rolleyes:


I wrote the networks buy space from DTV as I understood DTV is acting as a broadcaster. Now, I may be wrong about who the broadcaster actually is, but that was not the point of my post.

I just meant to say that any given program may look better just because its network chose to spend more money on bitrate space.
 

ShadowEKU

Expert in the Making
Supporting Founder
Jul 13, 2004
1,829
0
Frankfort, KY
Loric said:
I wrote the networks buy space from DTV as I understood DTV is acting as a broadcaster. Now, I may be wrong about who the broadcaster actually is, but that was not the point of my post.

I just meant to say that any given program may look better just because its network chose to spend more money on bitrate space.

D* pays to broadcast networks... then sticks consumers with a slightly higher bill.

Locals DO NOT pay for D* to broadcast. I seem to recall D* pays a very Minimal if any fee to local broadcasters.

Unless D* elects to give a station more bitrate space then nothing is going to chancge.

Stations can reach agreements with D* like Mark Cuban did but ide say you would hav eto have a lot of demand and a lot of cash to back it up.
 

jimisham

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 31, 2004
170
0
I've suddenly seen an improvement in my South Bend locals. Not outstanding, but better.
We got locals in September. Right from the beginning, there has been a 'flash' or 'pulsing' every couple of seconds in the picture on all locals. Looking at the picture in slow motion on a TIVO, you could seen the picture breaking up into small blocks, or pixels.
This is now gone. One channel still has too much color, and another one not enough. Ghosting doesn't seem to be quite as bad either.
 

Loric

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 18, 2005
46
0
ShadowEKU said:
D* pays to broadcast networks... then sticks consumers with a slightly higher bill.

Funny how things work differently from one place to another.
Over here, it's the other way round : networks pay broadcasters so the programs are broadcasted.

Thank you for correcting me on this.
 
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Top