Directv picture quality!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Enforcer

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Has anyone seen a difference in the picture quality lately? My locals are absolutely stunning! I have seen small increments of improvements, but tonight its outstanding. The best I have seen. Anyone else?

I was watching Survivor last night on CBS and it was the best local channel transmission I have seen since having DBS (4 years now).

I was at the MN locals then I moved back to Omaha,

OMaha is on the new SAT, much better pic that the MN locals. I think it depends city to city on the trasponder setup and counts

I have a 65" RPTV

I have the ability to get CBS HD OTA, but I was watching the local channel CBS on satellite. Besides...Survivor isn't in HD anyhow.

Generally speaking, it may be possible that the TV network (or channels) which run your locals rented more bitrate space from DTV.

This could explain a sudden change of picture quality. When the streams are compressed, there is less information lost and it generally renders in a more 'pleasing to the eye' way.

Or you may just have experiencing a better reception of the same signal. Less errors concealment withing the MPEG decoding means that the video will look better as well.

Even though I have the same locals... yes they are looking better.. ide say close to the quality of some of the SD channels... keep in mind though our locals are not on 105

Loric said:
Generally speaking, it may be possible that the TV network (or channels) which run your locals rented more bitrate space from DTV.

LMFAO, you think local broadcasters rent space from D*???:rolleyes:

ShadowEKU said:
Even though I have the same locals... yes they are looking better.. ide say close to the quality of some of the SD channels... keep in mind though our locals are not on 105
105? You mean 101.

vurbano said:
LMFAO, you think local broadcasters rent space from D*???:rolleyes:

I wrote the networks buy space from DTV as I understood DTV is acting as a broadcaster. Now, I may be wrong about who the broadcaster actually is, but that was not the point of my post.

I just meant to say that any given program may look better just because its network chose to spend more money on bitrate space.

Loric said:
I wrote the networks buy space from DTV as I understood DTV is acting as a broadcaster. Now, I may be wrong about who the broadcaster actually is, but that was not the point of my post.

I just meant to say that any given program may look better just because its network chose to spend more money on bitrate space.

D* pays to broadcast networks... then sticks consumers with a slightly higher bill.

Locals DO NOT pay for D* to broadcast. I seem to recall D* pays a very Minimal if any fee to local broadcasters.

Unless D* elects to give a station more bitrate space then nothing is going to chancge.

Stations can reach agreements with D* like Mark Cuban did but ide say you would hav eto have a lot of demand and a lot of cash to back it up.

I've suddenly seen an improvement in my South Bend locals. Not outstanding, but better.
We got locals in September. Right from the beginning, there has been a 'flash' or 'pulsing' every couple of seconds in the picture on all locals. Looking at the picture in slow motion on a TIVO, you could seen the picture breaking up into small blocks, or pixels.
This is now gone. One channel still has too much color, and another one not enough. Ghosting doesn't seem to be quite as bad either.

ShadowEKU said:
D* pays to broadcast networks... then sticks consumers with a slightly higher bill.

Funny how things work differently from one place to another.
Over here, it's the other way round : networks pay broadcasters so the programs are broadcasted.

Thank you for correcting me on this.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)