DirecTV Poor Customer Service

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

belchar

Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
For those of you considering DirecTV, this is my story which has thus far ended with no satisfaction. Here's a letter I sent to DirecTV corporate offices:

"My name is Kurt Boutin(acct. # removed for privacy issues) and up until recently I was a happy DirecTV customer. That is until the night of 12/12/2007. That was the night I received 17 calls (between the hours of 9:30pm and 11:15pm) from DirecTV on my cell phone. I make a point of not answering calls that are from a number I don't know. I figure they are likely to leave a message if it's important. That being said, I did answer the call that came at 11:15pm and said, "It's 11:15pm and if you wish to speak with me, please call back during normal business hours" and hung up. No more calls that night. The next day, my wife called back and was assured that I'd be taken off "the list".

On Dec 17th, I got 13 calls between 9:53pm and 11:43pm at the same number. My wife once again called and they once again assured her this wouldn't happen again. On Dec. 18th(yes, that's the NEXT NIGHT!), I got an additional 11 calls in the same time period. These are all verifiable via my cell phone records. The next day I called to cancel my service. I know that DirecTV is a business and really just wants to make money, but I can't see how this would be acceptable.

Now, my understanding about cancellation is that cancelling based on changes in programming as stated in Section 1(d) of the agreement is absolutely valid with the possible exception of a $15 service charge.

On Dec. 28th, my debit card was charged $307.12 without my authorization. I am infuriated by this. I understand that there is a process for disputing charges, but I gave DirecTV no authorization to automatically charge my account. I called DirecTV to complain and spoke with someone named Jesse (#100222434) after being hung up on by someone else. After spending time talking with Jesse I was assured that my card would be reimbursed within 7-10 business days. My wife called today to find out the status of this and was told that the rep gave incorrect information.

Now, I ask you, Mr. Carey and Ms. Filipiak, what are you going to do to rectify this situation? This IS going to turn into a huge mess of bad PR if I don't receive satisfaction in this area. I'm completely and thoroughly disgusted with DirecTV's practices and won't rest until this information is widespread.

Kurt"

This was sent to the office of the President and VP of Customer Service of DirecTV. I was contacted by a man named Chris (ID# U9931) who was a "Customer Advocate" who called to basically say, "We'll look into the 40 calls to try to make sure it doesn't happen again" and "We can't refund your money".

To me, this is POOR customer service. I really LIKED DirecTV, but I'm NOT liking the way they treat their customers. It's just wrong. This kind of abuse by companies has to stop!

Kurt

What changes in programming do you think you were subject to to invoke that portion of your "agreement", and which agreement was it? (the Lease Agreement, the Terms of Service, etc...)

If you read further into the agreement, D* does have the right to charge your card for any outstanding fees on your account, including early termination fees.

And in reality, how much bad publicity do you really think you can generate without running into legal troubles with D*? In all honesty, your opinion doesn't mean much to me. You have your opinion, I have mine, and everyone else in the world has theirs. You can post your message on every forum, go on TV and radio, and most people just won't care. If it gets to be too much of a problem in D*'s view, they'll just haul you into court and request a gag order.

Agreed; I do not see this as customer abuse as the OP suggests; yet it seems just another case of where a user is playing some kind of game of chicken with a company and got caught and now wants to lash out claiming to be a victim.

Why didn't he send the letter before canceling. It seemed to have gotten their attention.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts