Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
By Linda Moss -- Multichannel News, 9/12/2007 3:11:00 PM

DirecTV plans to create a tier of HD-only channels when it rolls out its much-ballyhooed expanded high-definition TV packages, possibly as early as next week.

The new tier will include services that are not simulcasts of standard-definition networks and exist only in high definition. This tier will be one part of the DirecTV’s overall revamping of its HDTV services, which will jump to more than 70 channels this fall.

Read the rest at http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6478005.html

I am about to get some coffee and read that article, but is there any mention of "grandfathering" current premier pack users (or top package users) when all these changes take place? Say H20 and or HR20 users?

So $4.99 for the hd extra pack + the $9.99 hd tech fee = $14.98 for hd. Didn't Directv just say a few weeks ago no new price increases when they added all the new hd channels?

So $4.99 for the hd extra pack + the $9.99 hd tech fee = $14.98 for hd. Didn't Directv just say a few weeks ago no new price increases when they added all the new hd channels?

Until March ...
This is a new package, not an addl charge from the way I see it.

Jimbo

It was stated that the no price increase was in reply to a question about the immediate future or this year. Not in relation to 1/1/08 or after or really in relation to people that sign up AFTER said rollout.

I think what it means is NO new price increase for current subs with the HD pack as they will be grandfathered. New customers will pay the $9.95 plus the $4.95 or about $15

Grandfathered will pay the same $9.95 as they already get channels like HDNET. New Subs TO THE HD PACKAGE pay $9.95 + $4.95 = $15

Come March everyone will pay $15

I wonder if Dishnetwork will now lower the HD package from $20 to $15. Competition is good.

Aren't UNIV, HDNet and HDNM existing HD channels on D*? Discovery Theater is HD only with no simulcast. Will that be added too the new tier too? The only new channels are MHD, MGM and Smithsonian and will they be worth an additional $4.99? My guess is, the grandfathering will be temporary and all HD subscribers will either pay the 4.99 or lose the channels. I'm glad E* is already at 20 bucks so I don't anticipate paying more for any additional channels they add :)

Aren't UNIV, HDNet and HDNM existing HD channels on D*? Discovery Theater is HD only with no simulcast. Will that be added too the new tier too? The only new channels are MHD, MGM and Smithsonian and will they be worth an additional $4.99? My guess is, the grandfathering will be temporary and all HD subscribers will either pay the 4.99 or lose the channels. I'm glad E* is already at 20 bucks so I don't anticipate paying more for any additional channels they add :)

Your glad they are at $20 so you don't anticipate paying more...sure $20 is better than $15 any day. I don't know that just sounded funny to me richiephx:)
I am certain that in the end, both services will end up being very close to eachother in the HD pricing structure and channels. We at D* feel like we have been paying that $10 bucks a month for not much in channels, heck of the group I only watch the ESPNs, so maybe for a couple of months we will feel better.

***please have grain of salt ready before proceeding***

The word I got from D* CSR is that the HD Extra Pack for $4 or $6 will be grandfathered until December. Once that date rolls around, ALL subscribers (newbies and long-time clients) will have to pay the increased fee for those 6 or 7 channels. If you subscribe to the highest package(s) such as Premiere, the HD Extra Pack will be included.

I don't like any price increases and I have to agree with Vurbano, Did I really say that again? The world must be coming to an end. ;):D, they are trying to nickel and dime us to death.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts