DirecTV price increases coming in March

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nuzzy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
NH, USA
(Note from Scott - These prices are no OFFICIAL - Please CLICK HERE to see a statement from DirecTV on the new pricing)

DirecTV will be raising their prices effective March 4th, 09.

Here is some of the increases:

Base Package Former Price Price on/after Mar 4, 2009
Basic $9.99/$12.99
Básico $29.99/$32.99
Choice $52.99/$55.99
Choice Xtra $57.99/$60.99
En Español $19.99/$19.99
Familiar (Expired package effective Mar 4, 2009.) $45.99/$48.99
Familiar Últra $54.99/$57.99
Family $29.99/$29.99
Jadeworld $36.99/$36.99
Lo Máximo $104.99/$109.99
Plus DVR $62.99/$65.99
Plus HD/DVR $72.99/$75.99
Preferred Choice $32.99 (no locals $32.99)/$35.99 (no locals $35.99)
Premier $104.99/$109.99
Select $45.99 /$48.99
DVR Service $5.99/$6

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's not forget that Dish DVR Advantage packs are getting a beat down. An $8 increase is no joke. Especially as a percentage of the previous package costs.

While none of us like to see things go up, I can deal with the three dollar increase it looks like I will be having.

Serious question. Why is SD still around? Can we kill it yet? These cable and satellite companies need to totally reevaluate the way they do business regarding paying a premium for HD content. Major Bullsh!t.

I see NO mention of the TC or TC+ packages - wonder if they will be going up or staying the same??? (yea, I know I can dream... :rolleyes: )

While I'm NO fan of ANY rate increases, I'll take these ANY day over what E* is doing to their subs - & you can actually UNDERSTAND these... :rolleyes:

Yes but the channels they are adding is what D* has today.

When you buy an SD pack and HD access. Dish's HD only packs, although going up $5-10, will still be cheaper for me than DirecTV packs.

Oh well, enough on this. Just don't want everyone getting the wrong impression that all Dish packs are going up $10.

Serious question. Why is SD still around? Can we kill it yet? These cable and satellite companies need to totally reevaluate the way they do business regarding paying a premium for HD content. Major Bullsh!t.

Do I like paying the HD surcharge, nope, but I do understand why they charge. While they might not pay a bunch for HD content they did launch four new satellites that added the capacity for all that HD content, need to pay for them somehow.

You do realize that SD only still makes up more than 50% of the subscriber base for both D* and E* don't you?

Yes, my thoughts exactly. It is 2009. We need to lead, not follow. HD should be universal as 100MBS Internet should be.

Robert
PS: The cost per subscriber of delivering HD goes down with the increase in HD subscribers. Administration becomes easier as well. Two recievers, both HD, one DVR, one not.

I'm currently renting a season place that already has satellite service so I wasn't able to choose which company. The lower price increases (for the packages I'm interested in) and obviously less messing around with their customers makes it all the more likely I'll end up going with D*.

The $10 from Dish is on one package. It is HD only, and thus is likely to see several more channels added. Most Dish SD is going up $2-$3, not unlike DirecTV.

I don't recall receiving a email or post card telling me all the channels they are gonna add for my $10 increase in my DVR Advantage Package.

Neither of these companys should be raising prices during this recession. The majority of the subs will downgrade their programing, which I plan on doing. Dropping HBO and think twice about the NHLCI package next fall, while I get many games on the NHL Network and Versus anyways.

I don't recall receiving a email or post card telling me all the channels they are gonna add for my $10 increase in my DVR Advantage Package.

That's why I used the word likely.

Neither of these companys should be raising prices during this recession. The majority of the subs will downgrade their programing, which I plan on doing. Dropping HBO and think twice about the NHLCI package next fall, while I get many games on the NHL Network and Versus anyways.

Both companies have contracts with providers that specify wholesale rate increases each year. In other words, their rates are going up, too. If that makes people drop back a tier, that's fine because they can also pay less by not providing those channels.

I see NO mention of the TC or TC+ packages - wonder if they will be going up or staying the same??? (yea, I know I can dream... :rolleyes: )

While I'm NO fan of ANY rate increases, I'll take these ANY day over what E* is doing to their subs - & you can actually UNDERSTAND these... :rolleyes:

TC and TC+ are old packages that are no longer offered. They were replaced with Choice and Choice Extra, respectively. If you still have either of these old packages you are grandfathered in with them, and I am sure they will go up $3 per month as well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts