DIRECTV Price

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

scots

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 5, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Soooooo...I had DIRECTV installed less than a year ago on July 3, 2012. I knew my bill would go up as time went on due to various promotions dropping off and whatnot, but this latest bill I just got is RIDICULOUS. I have the Ultimate package along with Starz & Showtime. My bill started off somewhere around $64/month. It had a free HBO/Cinemax promo for 3 months, and I called and cancelled those channels at the end of the promo. The CSR offered to give them to me free for another 3 months, but I declined and told her that we never watched those two channels and I didn't want to have to call in again in another 3 months. At some point my bill went up to around $93/month.

Then I made the decision to move (which I wasn't really planning on when I first signed up with DIRECTV) because the neighborhood I was in was going downhill REALLY fast. My house sold a LOT faster than I expected (had an offer less than 2 week after it was listed). Found a new house (which is out in the country now), and my only options were DIRECTV or Dish...and supposedly I can get Prism from CenturyLink. Charter is the cable company that covers this area, but they don't have any lines out to where I live...so cable is a no-go. So...I just decided to stick with DIRECTV since I was still under contract and called about moving. The CSR said that I wasn't supposed to be eligible for the standard mover offer because I had been a customer for less than a year, but that I was close enough to a year that the computer was letting her override and give me the discount anyway (...whatever...). So I did a new 2-year contract for the mover special. I don't know if that just restarted the clock, or if it extended my existing contract by 2 years...didn't think to ask at the time. I also added an additional receiver (which they made me pay $99 for) because my new house is bigger and I added another TV.

The move occurred at the end of March 2013. My bill went up a little after the move, which I was expecting due to having one more TV. Yesterday I get my latest bill, and it's now $145 a month!!! I about had a cow when I saw that! That's more than double what my bill was less than a year ago! I also noticed a message on this latest bill that the "free" NFL Sunday Ticket they gave me will automatically renew, and that if I don't want it I need to call before the billing starts if I don't want the charges on my bill. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my entire life! I didn't have NFL Sunday Ticket when I first signed up. They added it several months after I started service. I never watch football and didn't ask to have the "free" package added to my existing service, so why should I have to call to have something removed that I never asked for in the first place?? Why can't they let you log in to your account and remove it yourself? They MAKE you call in to remove any of the premium crap. UGH!

Like I said earlier, I knew it would eventually go up as some promotions dropped off...but more than double less than a year later seems completely crazy to me! And it's going to get even higher as more promos drop off (some of which I'm not exactly sure when they're dropping off). I've had Dish, Time Warner, and AT&T U-verse in the past and they all went up gradually over time...but NONE of them more than doubled less than a year later. Is there anything I can do to get my bill lowered some...and that won't extend my new 2-year contract? I can supposedly get CenturyLink Prism for $98/month with no price increases for 2 years, and that even gives me EVERY channel they offer including HBO/Cinemax/Showtime/Starz...but I don't know if I can take that all-at-once whammy of an ETF from DIRECTV on that new 2-year contract right now with a new house and all. Very frustrated.

Just call when the promos end and see if they hav any new offers to lower your bill and if they say no play CSR Roulette till you get offers :)

UGH...I hate CSR Roulette. LOL

I figure it will be difficult to get new offers/promos since they usually have a contract attached to them and I just did a new contract a couple months ago.

I also noticed a message on this latest bill that the "free" NFL Sunday Ticket they gave me will automatically renew, and that if I don't want it I need to call before the billing starts if I don't want the charges on my bill. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my entire life! I didn't have NFL Sunday Ticket when I first signed up. They added it several months after I started service. I never watch football and didn't ask to have the "free" package added to my existing service, so why should I have to call to have something removed that I never asked for in the first place?? Why can't they let you log in to your account and remove it yourself? They MAKE you call in to remove any of the premium crap. UGH!

You had the NFL package free the day you signed up in July. They don't play regular games in July.... They play them when you apparently saw you had it months later. Most people would call three or four times to cancel if that's all it took to get a year of NFL Sunday free!
I would say you have more than the Ultimate package and a couple of receives if your bill is an ongoing $145.

Unless something has changed. The two-year commitment just restarts at that point and the remaining time on your old contract just drops off. The total commitment never exceeds two-years.

Unless something has changed. The two-year commitment just restarts at that point and the remaining time on your old contract just drops off. The total commitment never exceeds two-years.

When he moved, that started a new 2 year commitment for the price they moved him for ... iirc.

I have Ultimate plus Showtime, Starz, and HD Extra Pack. There's also NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings, which I have absolutely no interest in and don't want...but am not being charged for at the moment. Tampa8 is correct that the NFL Sunday Ticket package was on there from the beginning and I didn't realize it. I just looked back at my first bill and saw it on there, so I was mistaken when I said it was added later. However, they did add MLB Extra Innings with no input whatsoever from me. MLB doesn't show up until my April 2013 bill, and I never signed up for it. Anyway...I have 4 receivers. One Genie HR34-700, two H25-100s, and one H25-500.

Right now I have 4 credits left on my bill:
- "Advanced Receiver 24 Mo Credit w/Autopay + eBill": $10.00
- "Ultimate 24 Mo Rebate: Mos 13-24": $10.00
- "Adv Receiver Cr Ends: 02/2015": $2.00
- "Primary TV Free": $6.00

The only thing I changed when I moved was I added one receiver. I was not quoted any new package price and was not told that I was being signed up for any new channels/package. I knew there would be a slight increase due to the receiver I added, which I think is $6.00/month. I've been considering removing Starz because I rarely watch anything on the Starz channels anymore. It just totally sucks that you have to call in to do it. I hate dealing with the CSRs and sitting on hold. When I was with Dish and AT&T U-verse they let you remove channels online (don't know if they still do or not), so I don't understand why DIRECTV doesn't let you do it online. They have buttons there to do it, but when you click on them it tells you that you have to call in. Dumb.

It's just kind of got me shocked because I've never had any other TV provider increase the price on me so much so quickly. Past providers all increased slowly over time, but none more than doubled in less than a year.

Last edited:
When he moved, that started a new 2 year commitment for the price they moved him for ... iirc.

unless you add or change equipment when you move it does not start the 2 year over.....when I moved in December to the apartment they told me my contract still runs til Feb 2014 (which is right...I got Genie Feb 2012)

Apparently so. I'm not quite sure how that could be, since it was installed on July 3, 2012. That one credit states it's for months 13-24, but I haven't had it 13 months yet. August 2013 would be month 13, wouldn't it?

unless you add or change equipment when you move it does not start the 2 year over.....when I moved in December to the apartment they told me my contract still runs til Feb 2014 (which is right...I got Genie Feb 2012)

I did add one receiver when I moved...which they made me pay $99 for.

I did add one receiver when I moved...which they made me pay $99 for.

Everytime you add or upgrade a receiver it's a 2 year contract reset, but simply moving and taking your existing receivers with you doesn't reset your contract, even if they send a tech to do the install to your new location, as everything else is not tied to a contract.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

Cool, I did not know that.

Apparently so. I'm not quite sure how that could be, since it was installed on July 3, 2012. That one credit states it's for months 13-24, but I haven't had it 13 months yet. August 2013 would be month 13, wouldn't it?

So the 13-24 month credit would not have started yet.

I have Ultimate plus Showtime, Starz, and HD Extra Pack. There's also NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings, which I have absolutely no interest in and don't want...but am not being charged for at the moment. Tampa8 is correct that the NFL Sunday Ticket package was on there from the beginning and I didn't realize it. I just looked back at my first bill and saw it on there, so I was mistaken when I said it was added later. However, they did add MLB Extra Innings with no input whatsoever from me. MLB doesn't show up until my April 2013 bill, and I never signed up for it. Anyway...I have 4 receivers. One Genie HR34-700, two H25-100s, and one H25-500.

Right now I have 4 credits left on my bill:
- "Advanced Receiver 24 Mo Credit w/Autopay + eBill": $10.00
- "Ultimate 24 Mo Rebate: Mos 13-24": $10.00
- "Adv Receiver Cr Ends: 02/2015": $2.00
- "Primary TV Free": $6.00

The only thing I changed when I moved was I added one receiver. I was not quoted any new package price and was not told that I was being signed up for any new channels/package. I knew there would be a slight increase due to the receiver I added, which I think is $6.00/month. I've been considering removing Starz because I rarely watch anything on the Starz channels anymore. It just totally sucks that you have to call in to do it. I hate dealing with the CSRs and sitting on hold. When I was with Dish and AT&T U-verse they let you remove channels online (don't know if they still do or not), so I don't understand why DIRECTV doesn't let you do it online. They have buttons there to do it, but when you click on them it tells you that you have to call in. Dumb.

It's just kind of got me shocked because I've never had any other TV provider increase the price on me so much so quickly. Past providers all increased slowly over time, but none more than doubled in less than a year.

First.. Check your bill..NFL Sunday Ticket is around $50 a month for 5 months.. It is not an ongoing charge. If you do not want them it is a quick phone call to remove..

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Just my experience, but I have had zero problems calling and telling them to put me on new promos, you can do it once every year...this last time really saved me some nice money, it dosent hurt to call retention and just see what promos they can get you.

UGH...I hate CSR Roulette. LOL

I figure it will be difficult to get new offers/promos since they usually have a contract attached to them and I just did a new contract a couple months ago.

So do I but sometimes it takes that to get anything ;) :)

Sounds like when you moved they accidentally removed your promo. Just call them and ask them to fix it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts