DIRECTV PROTECTION PLAN Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I think it's all silly, I agree something doesn't seem right when a consumer pays $99 to $299 for a box you have to return after your done with the service, especailly when you consider they will replace all the equipment for free if you move of course under a new 2yr commitment. It just doesn't make much sense.

Just to clearify, if you move all they replace is the dish, switch if needed and wiring, you take your existing receivers with you and it's only a new 1 yr commitment.

You can get D* and get a STB that doesn't cost you one penny and has only a 1 year commitment, its just a SD receiver. If you want higher end hardware, such as a SD DVR, HD STB or HD DVR look at the charge as an upgrade charge, the more advanced the STB the higher the upgrade charge.

D* generally warranties their equipment from 60 to 90 days, depending upon who you ask. The plan covers more than the shipping costs to have a replacement receiver shipped to you. It pays for the technician time to come and trouble shoot the system, realign the dish, replace cable/connectors, replace the LNB, replace the remote control, replace the dish if it is damaged, or even come back out and change your TV to the correct input channel so you can watch D* again (It happens, I've been on several of these types of calls)

If you feel comfortable/competent enough to do these items yourself, then by all means don't sign up for the plan.

The way it works:

Standard, DVR, and HD IRD's have a 90 day warranty period. HD-DVR's have a one year warranty.

Outside of those warranties, you have to pay the $19.95 delivering and handling, and extend the contract with D*.

If you own the equipment, the protection plan is $7.99 a month. If you lease, it's $5.99 a month. I had my reciever replaced last month to accomodate the new HD channels and I am still getting charged $7.99, so I guess I still own the equipment. That suprised me since I thought DirecTv was supposed to have started leasing only earlier this year.

you shouldn't be. The PP should be $5.99 regardless. You might wanna call them up to change it.

you shouldn't be. The PP should be $5.99 regardless. You might wanna call them up to change it.

Thanks..Actually I did email my question to them yesterday and they said the reason I am charged $7.99 is because I own the equipment.

I dont really want to call them cause last time I did, I was pretty much called a liar and the person would not transfer me to the department I requested or his supervisor.

There was a time, about 8 months ago, that D* changed the pricing on the protection plan. It used to be $5.99/mo for basic receivers, and $7.99/month for advanced receivers. You were charged the advanced price if you had any owned or advanced receivers (DVR, HD, HD/DVR).

Think "Acts of God" If you blow out 5 receivers from a power surge and need all of them replaced, $100 shipping plus D* may say they are not at fault and you must pay for replacement units. 2 days later, another thunderstorm rolls in and blows out your receivers again.....This is not the fault of D* so in a case like this, your calling your homeowners insurance to see about coverage. Second, an E* 622 purchase price is $499, a HR-20 is $299 plus $60 per year. In a little over 3 years you now equal the price of the 622. After that D* starts to make a profit on the HR-20 But as technology changes, D* is more flexable to work upgrade deals on the older technology boxes. IE: free upgrade every 6 months where E* is every year. As mentioned in past blogs here, I too have doorstops old (Sony boxes that I purchased) sitting in the basement. They are neat to look at and I could hook them all up and have a really cool looking entertainment center to wow all my friends ahh never mind, the point is, I enjoy owning all of my equipment and hate the thought of having to pay a lease fee. But it comes down to what do you do with your old units as technology is so radidly changing? As I and others (past blogs) said earlier, they make great door stops. Jim

Second, an E* 622 purchase price is $499, a HR-20 is $299 plus $60 per year.

What's the extra $60/year on the HR20 for? Also, if you have the D* protection plan, power surges are covered so no charge to replace STB's.

Originally Posted by JNEUBY View Post

What's the extra $60/year on the HR20 for? Also, if you have the D* protection plan, power surges are covered so no charge to replace STB's.

He's counting the $5 p/m for the lease.
But he quoted the 622 at $499 to purchase , but did not quote the purchase price of the HR20 which would be $749.

Jimbo

Originally Posted by JNEUBY View Post

He's counting the $5 p/m for the lease.
But he quoted the 622 at $499 to purchase , but did not quote the purchase price of the HR20 which would be $749.

Jimbo

OK, I may be mistaken but isn't E* going to charge a mirroring charge on a purchased receiver anyway? Both services don't charge for the 1st STB on an account,even if it's leased at D*. For any additional receivers they charge either a lease or mirroring charge so we're looking at a wash on the cost either way.

Last edited:
If the house that you lease burns down or is blown away in a hurricane who replaces it? Who rebuilds your apartment that you rent if it floods out? Sorry but I feel that in the first two years, the contract length, that perils are just a cost of doing business for D*. After that make the per month cost of the plan $15 or some such. I will be an incentive for keeping people under contract and still not a requirement.

Over the years it has saved me a fortune. I call it the DirecTV Upgrade Plan. My DTC-100 was upgraded twice (Samsung>Hughes) before I got my first HD-Tivo. A Samsung TS-160 was replaced with an H20. One of my HD-Tivos was replaced with an HR20 a couple months ago when it kept locking up. Sunday I called because another of my HD-Tivos started locking up, and they're sending an HR20.

Two more locked up HD-Tivos to go and I'm fully upgraded. ;)

If your smart you will take a video camera and scan your whole house and all your toys Like I did. And put the tape in your Safe Deposit Box at your bank, and send a copy to a close friend so you have all your bases covered.

I have never been a big fan of protection plans but last year when i upgraded to hd something just told me to take it. 2 months later hit by power surge an fried all 3 boxes, the replaced eveything and no additional 2yr contract.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts