DIRECTV Protection Plan - What is covered?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stevelite

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
Hello All, Happy holidays.

I am having a problem with HD20-100 model (not 600 I heard this one is being recalled). HDMI output is not working, but component video still works. I called protection plan to get serviced , but was told that they do not see HDMI port not working as a problem and since I am getting component video it's operating normal. Huh? and they tried to tell me it's same quality pictures and this and that. Which may be true, because the receiver can only do 1080i/720P.

That is besides the point. I have PS3, Blueray Player, DVD all connected via HDMI. HD20 is only device not connected to HDMI input. I feel that I have a defective receiver and I should get a replacement or repair, but they will not do anything about it.

What good is Protection Plan paying $5.99 a month?

I am having a problem with HD20-100 model (not 600 I heard this one is being recalled). HDMI output is not working, but component video still works. I called protection plan to get serviced , but was told that they do not see HDMI port not working as a problem and since I am getting component video it's operating normal. Huh? and they tried to tell me it's same quality pictures and this and that. Which may be true, because the receiver can only do 1080i/720P.

That is besides the point. I have PS3, Blueray Player, DVD all connected via HDMI. HD20 is only device not connected to HDMI input. I feel that I have a defective receiver and I should get a replacement or repair, but they will not do anything about it.

It is apparently even more Abolutely worthless than I thought. I can't believe that. Anyone that doesnt wait until they have a problem and then sign up for the plan before reporting it is really wasting a lot of money. Hard to believe they do not feel that no HDMI is a problem.:rolleyes:

I'd call and say none of the outputs work, or explain that you dont have room on your TV to use anything but HDMI. They're going to ship you a receiver, not send out a tech... right?

It's Xmas, tell them you got a Wii, and need the component freed up and to fix your box asap.

How many reps have you spoken to? Be nice when calling, and if you're not getting anywhere, nicely say, "ok, thanks for your time," and call back the next day. Rinse, and repeat if necessary. After 3-4 times, it's time to talk to a supervisor.

Document date, time, person talked to with employee numbers and location state/city of rep, each and every time. Some may not give the city location.

The protection plan is good if you can get past the front line rep. Being nice, yet firm, over a period of time should get you results. BBB.org is where you can file a complaint. That could take a little while though.

I think that people would be surprised to see what is covered and what is not.
I have spoken to one rep, and then asked to speak to a supervisor. Supervisor was no help. Basically reinforcing what 1st rep said.

I am going to call and try again next year.

I'd call and say none of the outputs work, or explain that you dont have room on your TV to use anything but HDMI. They're going to ship you a receiver, not send out a tech... right?

It's Xmas, tell them you got a Wii, and need the component freed up and to fix your box asap.

HAHA.. I got a feeling they will say, get a TV that has component video.

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do to get something done.

Before you call them up, unplug the receiver from the wall. Tell them it will not power up anymore. Follow all of their troubleshooting steps. If they ask if its plugged up, tell them yes. They will either send you a new receiver or send out a tech.

If the HDMI is not working, your receiver is damaged. You are entitled to a new receiver.

Went on 3 PP service calls today..

1st was because the customers remote didnt respond.. cause: batteries were dead.. solution, buy some batteries.

2nd Screen on HD Rec Fuzzy, replace with ERP. Cause Input was wrong, Solution: Changed back to HDMI2

3rd Cust 771 (Searching for Sat) Cause no dish on new house, Solution call back and set up a Movers.

If they are sending techs (me) out on BS like the above on the PP. surely you can get your box replaced.

Went on 3 PP service calls today..

1st was because the customers remote didnt respond.. cause: batteries were dead.. solution, buy some batteries.

2nd Screen on HD Rec Fuzzy, replace with ERP. Cause Input was wrong, Solution: Changed back to HDMI2

3rd Cust 771 (Searching for Sat) Cause no dish on new house, Solution call back and set up a Movers.

If they are sending techs (me) out on BS like the above on the PP. surely you can get your box replaced.

Why they can't send tech to fix a real problem like me instead of BS like above..:D

I've had the protection plan since October 2004. Direct TV has always taken care of my problems in a reasonable amount of time. Replaced receivers and remotes without much questioning. I also agree it helps to be nice and polite when talking to the person on the other side of the phone.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts