Directv Q4 announced. 93,000 US subs ADDED!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/di...-growth-slows-as-fees-keep-rising-1201113787/

DirecTV president and CEO Mike White said in the U.S., the satcaster expects to delivering “mid-single digit top- and bottom-line growth in 2014.”

DirecTV U.S. ended 2013 with 20.25 million subscribers, an increase of 0.8% compared with 20.08 million subscribers in 2012. The company attributed that minimal growth rate to its focus on “higher-quality subscribers, as well as a more challenging competitive environment and mature industry.”

The 93,000 U.S. net adds for the fourth quarter were down from 103,000 a year earlier, although churn declined slightly (from 1.41% to 1.43%). DirecTV beat analyst consensus expectations of 74,000 U.S. subscriber adds.

“This latest quarter shouldn’t obscure a larger trend: the U.S. is going to become a tougher and tougher place to do business,” MoffetNathanson analyst Craig Moffett wrote in a research note. “Cable’s advantage from cross-subsidizing video with broadband will eventually win out,” with the prospect of a merged Comcast-Time Warner Cable compounding the challenge, he added.

Indeed, DirecTV may be facing a bleak start to 2014. The Q4 results don’t take into account the latest fee hikes in the U.S. by DirecTV, which raised rates an average of 3.7% effective Feb. 6. DirecTV may also suffer customer attrition in the current quarter from its decision to yank the Weather Channel; the company dropped the NBCUniversal-owned cabler over fee dispute last month.

The ultimate endgame for DirecTV in the States is a merger with Dish Network, Moffett wrote, “but that merger still looks far off and uncertain.”

In the fourth quarter, DirecTV’s average monthly revenue per customer was $111.74 — 6.3% higher than Q4 2012. According to the company, that increase was mostly due to higher set-top fees, price increases on programming packages, higher fees for a new enhanced warranty program, and increased commercial business and ad revenue.

Meanwhile, DirecTV announced that it will buy back $3.5 billion in stock. “This repurchase program reflects our strong balance sheet and confidence in continued strong DirecTV revenue, earnings and free cash flow growth, as well as our belief that our stock is far below our intrinsic value,” White said.

White noted that DirecTV’s Latin America operations continue to have a much stronger growth profile. DirecTV Latin America full-year revenue for 2013 increased 10%, to $6.84 billion, mainly from the addition of 1.2 million net new subscribers during the year.

However, in the fourth quarter, DirecTV LA added 231,000 net subscribers — well below analyst consensus expectations of 359,000. In Q4 2012, the division netted 658,000 subs. White reiterated that 2014 financial results for that Latin America division will be “pressured by macroeconomic conditions, foreign currency headwinds, higher programming expenses and production costs related to unparalleled coverage of the FIFA World Cup and difficult comparisons related to one-time benefits in 2013.”

Interesting very good number and thanks for sharing!!! :)

Last edited:
I'm certain the dispute Dish had with Media General & Bonten Media helped Directv with these numbers. Either way, good numbers for Directv.

I doubt the Weather Channel dispute had a noticeable affect on the numbers.

No these numbers are from the 4th quarter last year, before the Weather Channel was dropped. We're not going to see Q1 2014 numbers until probably the middle of May.

Good point! So I will move my statement to the next quarter then!

I doubt The Weather Channel will negatively impact DirecTV in a substantial way. I believe that the stance DirecTV has taken (predominantly via DirecTVPromise.com) regarding ubiquitous availability of local weather options had already been on the uptrend long before this dispute. After all, why would The Weather Channel have strayed so far from being a purely weather-data-based channel to begin with? The audience simply wasn't there.

Regarding ongoing sustainability of subscribers over the next year or three, and based on responses on this forum and others, it is DirecTV's overall picture quality and high definition availability that I believe, anecdotally-speaking, is keeping most folks from making the switch to alternative video carriers. For example, we have Comcast HSI (50Mbps) at the house and ended up double-playing it with basic cable alongside. However, we refuse to switch from DirecTV for two reasons: (1) my wife despises cable; and (2) DirecTV is simply an overall better experience.

For us, our only real alternative is ATT U-Verse, but considering how painfully slow they're rolling the service out even in a major hub city for ATT (Atlanta), I don't expect to see any competition from ATT for at least another year or so (hence why we switched from DSL to HSI).

Back at the 60,000 foot level, there are a few reasons why we have not re-upped our contract with DirecTV at this point:

1. The Genie offering, which is an essentially free (minus installation) upgrade for us, does not have the wireless Genie mini being sold in the Atlanta market -- yet (we've had DirecTV notate our account that that's what's holding us back);
2. Tech blogs are beginning to start rumors that Apple's AppleTV may have a hardware and software refresh this year; this could suggest a bigger move into the living room;
3. It's been reported this morning (such as at Gizmodo.com, among others) that Amazon could be readying an AppleTV-like box of their own (who knows how or if that would transpire)

Overall, my view is that the Comcast-TWC merger would seriously open the door for DirecTV to begin earnest talking with DISH about merging. As others have mentioned on this thread, the idea that Comcast would have such a huge reach with IP-based services poses an imminent threat to DirecTV. Regardless, I believe DirecTV can and would strike back; just looking at the Comcast cable box that was sent to us for our double-play deal shows that Comcast is still quite a bit behind technology relative to DirecTV and DISH.

Hello 4K dtv here we come :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.