Directv Question (extra fee for markets with 2+ RSN's)?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Juan

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Moscow Russia
I will ask it here because this is a serious question (not trying to start an uproar in the D* forum)...mods can move this post if they want..

There is a rumour that D* is chargeing a $2 fee for markets that have multiple RSN's?..that would make a 2 or 3 dollar increase into 4 or 5 for their biggest markets!! And yet nobody complains?? wow

nothing I have seen. And we have a lot of folks from "multiple RSN" areas in the D* area and nothing has been said.

so its probably not true ;)

technically I get multiple RSN's...I get FS North and FS Wisco (which is only part time). Everybody in MN, WI, ND, SD gets both but I'm in an area where I get both the Twins and Brewers. Normally its one or the other but there are a couple spots on the border where both are not blacked out.

At the other site, there are some posts about this. It does appear that the charge is showing up on some bills, but there is exactly zero about it at the D* website. I suspect that since it isn't on the D* website and is only showing up on bills being generated now, that the number of people reporting is low because they haven't gotten this latest bill yet.

I stand corrected
I see there are some posts (from over there) from this morning about it. Only specific areas where the RSN costs are pretty high. Most folks it wont affect

I may have to stand corrected. I thought neither provider would charge more fees to some than others for their packages. If this is true, watch for NY RSN's soon from Dish with similar extra fees. Very interesting.

And I too have avoided really getting into it about fees, but for all the talk about Dish and fees, it sure seems like Direct is having to do the same. There should be no surprise, it's what Dish has been saying all along. They can't absorb the high RSN costs, it appears neither can Direct.

but so far the only confirmed location is NY where they have four RSN's + a couple overflow ones.

With the Lakers RSN ( I think?) coming betting LA is not far behind, and there may be others just not yet being charged for.... I guess we shall see, but the concept is very enlightening and does not bode well for those already not happy about paying for the RSN's, unless they can get them out of the normal packages.

But where is the line drawn? Is it all markets with more than one RSN that is up 24/7 on D*? Or is it the ones where the prices got out of hand.
I say it that way as I get both FS North and FS Wisco but Wisco is only part time (and blacked out most of the time). Lots of markets are like that. They get one RSN as the RSN but there is a part time (games only) channel they can get. Places like Wisco, Indiana, Utah, Houston.

There are markets that have had 2 RSN's for decades. Boston, LA, Northern Cali and Florida come to mind. Its not like magically these markets added RSN's.

Wonder about Colorado where Directv owns one of the networks (Root RM) but there is also Altitude?

And yes there are packages where the RSN isnt part of it. Entertainment package is the best example out there. It is essentially Choice package minus sports (except ESPN & ESPN2). There are a couple channels missing but mainly its sports.

And the prices of the RSNs keep going up because they seem to be the only channel(s) that carry the games now. I used to be a Pistons fan. Back in the 2007-08 season, half of the Pistons games were on my RSN (FS Detroit) and the other half were on my MY tv affiliate WMYD 20 which was a good thing because at least people who had OTA only could still see some of the games. Then somehow in the summer of '08, FS Detroit was able to get a deal to become the exclusive channel for not just the Pistons, but the Red Wings and the Tigers too. So basically now, if you are a fan of any of those teams, it's either get cable or go to a bar to see the games. Am I sure the other RSNs have become the same way. They're now the only place to see your MLB, NBA, and NHL teams unless the game is nationally broadcast, which chances are, your team will only be on a national broadcast in just a fraction of the games that they are scheduled to play. I'm sure the RSNs are forking over a lot of money to become the exclusive channels that they are today.

Don't you get FS Detroit or are you too far out to get the televised games or have moved? I think even DISH has FS Detroit. Just curious myself, I may make the move to D* for Chicago sports before baseball season, if I can convince the other half...

My market (GreenvilleNC) has MASN and FSN South full time and FSN Carolinas and MASN2 and FSN South2 games only. Waiting to see if there is a charge.

Charlotte NC has MASN and FSN South and SportSouth. Wonder about them also.

Just got my Feb bill. No $2 extra charge. Where I am in CT we get YES, SNY, NESN, and I believe CSNE.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Just got my Feb bill. No $2 extra charge. Where I am in CT we get YES, SNY, NESN, and I believe CSNE.

And the MSGs.

Edit: I just checked and you don't get the MSGs, but I do. I wonder why, we are both in New Haven county.

raoul5788 said:
And the MSGs.

Edit: I just checked and you don't get the MSGs, but I do. I wonder why, we are both in New Haven county.

I wondered about that too. When I lived in Naugatuck I got the MSG's. For some reason Waterbury and Wolcott don't. Same with channel 2 WCBS as significantly viewed.

What about those markets, like LA, which have more locals as well? They could use the same argument to charge and additional fee for those markets that have more the the big 4

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I was going to ask about NC like Jamie since we have a bunch of RSNs. I "moved" to Lexington to get the Bobcats games to come through, so I have:

MASN (MLB Orioles)
MASN2* (MLB Nationals)
Fox Sports South (MLB Braves)
Fox Sports Carolinas* (NHL Hurricanes)
SportSouth (MLB Braves)
SportSouth Charlotte* (NBA Bobcats)
FSN Cincinnati (MLB Reds)

* part time channel

It is interesting to note that the day I "moved" is the day they started their now 16-game losing streak! I am not a Bobcats fan, but "moving" was so easy and when they play the Celtics, Blazers, Knicks, Bulls, and teams I really hate like the Lakers, it's nice to have the games on SpSo. Most, if not all, of the Greensboro area has this arrangement of RSNs, without the Bobcats - only areas within 75 miles of Charlotte get Bobcats games.

Do you get all of those with the base package or do you add the sports pack to get the rest?

They are going by the base pack one. So like Iowa you get CSN Chicago. If you add sports pack you get FS North, FS Wisco (game only), FS Midwest and FS Kansas City (game only)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts