Directv R10 Opinions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jackson5

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
I had the same standard sony reciever since I went to DTV in 2001. I've liked it and never had a problem. I just decided to upgrade to Tivo through directv and started using the R10 yesterday. I'm not sure that I am a big fan of it it. DTV told me that they are the ones actually manufacturing these recievers. I have a hard time believing it is not outsourced to one of the big OEM's, but they tell me it isn't. The use of "favorites" as I know them are gone. I just don't really like the menu system. Does anyone else have an opinion....do the Hughes units have a better menu system?

I like the old sony...whether you were looking at favorites, or the guide, you could always still see the show you were watching in the corner of the screen and you could have different groupings of favorites. This menu goes over the entire screen.

the other problem is for use with a universal remote. How the heck do I program a universal remote to work with a DTV reciever? Does a code even exist yet? I send the signal up to our bedroom with a diplexer and use an IR sender to change channels...that is why I use a universal remote upstairs. I have no idea how I will program it. In the meantime, I'll be carrying the R10 remote control up and down the stairs...!!!!

For the remote, most of the universal remotes have a learning function. Or try looking up a RCA Direct Tivo unit code as the R10 is made by RCA.

I do not think any of the Direct Tivo units allow the show to be shown in the corner of the screen while searching through the guide. That is one feature I wish it did but it's not a big deal overall to me.

Was your old Sony receiver a Direct Tivo SAT-60 or was it just a regular receiver without Tivo? If you did not have Tivo before how do you like it?

Don't go there...

First, thanks for the info. My old sony was a standard reciever. I just "tried" to get Tivo within the last 2 weeks. I have had a terrible experience with the install. I've had two installers out and the 2nd line STILL is not working. Plus, when the second installer ran cabling, he didn't sloppiest job in the world. It looks like $hit. So, I'll be in for a battle with DTV I guess.

Since I only have the one line, I haven't been able to experience the full funcionality(taping something while watching something else). The whole concept of pausing live TV is sweet. I literally just got this installed last night so I have'nt been able to play too much yet. All I can tell you is that it doesn't seem real intuitive. In fact, the installer basically said to me "good luck with this remote, you won't be able to do anything without reading the book". All I know about Tivo is what I've heard from other people that it is the greatest thing ever invented. After the install experience I have, it better friggen' be.

Bottom line so far - pausing live TV is actually really nice. Seems like there is alot of learning to do to really be able to know how to use this....and I don't like the menu structure of the R10.

BTW - Are you sure about RCA making this? DTV told me last night they actually made it themselves. I can't really believe that, but I prodded them and they still said that they do make it themselves.

I am 99% sure RCA is making the R10, Hughes is making the HR-10, No clue who makes the D-10 and I think Samsung is making the H-10.

I also very recentley got my R10 (still need a 2nd line too) and I don't think the remote is all that hard to use. I will be programming it to my universal remote soon because the Tivo remote is not back lighted which makes it hard for me to use. I did have Tivo in the past though so I was a little familiar with how they function. Setting up the season passes for recording shows and other stuff though seemed to go fairly quick for me.

CWS_kahuna said:
I am 99% sure RCA is making the R10, Hughes is making the HR-10, No clue who makes the D-10 and I think Samsung is making the H-10.

I also very recentley got my R10 (still need a 2nd line too) and I don't think the remote is all that hard to use. I will be programming it to my universal remote soon because the Tivo remote is not back lighted which makes it hard for me to use. I did have Tivo in the past though so I was a little familiar with how they function. Setting up the season passes for recording shows and other stuff though seemed to go fairly quick for me.

i think the R10 is made by thompson which is RCA

Thanks

Thanks folks...I'll try programming the Universal Remote with an RCA code.

Maybe it isn't that hard and I am just impatient. sitting down and reading directions is not a strong point:) So, maybe it is just me.

Does anyone know if the Hughes DVR40 has any better of a menu structure? I actually got one of those off ebay before I decided to just get it through dTV directly. I got it directly through them because I figured the extra $$ I paid would be worth the savings of my time and effort running extra lines, etc. Basically, I paid a little more to get it directly through them so I wouldn't have to do the install. Well, the install has gone really bad and I still don't have 2 lines, so there goes that theory.

I'm now considering cancelling and just using the Hughes I got off ebay. So, any idea about the menu they have, is it any better. Thanks.

All the TiVos have a virtually identical menu structure.
If you don't like it, and you don't think you ever will adjust, you won't like TiVos.

Most of us, me included, though think TiVo has one of the most elegant UIs around. Let it record for you rather than "channel surfing" and you'll find it rarely gets in the way.

Yeah, maybe I just have to

get used to it. It is that whole change thing I think that is bothering me. I can get used to the favorites being different, etc the one thing I really don't like though is the menu taking up the whole screen and not allowing you to watch TV while you're looking at the menu. That I really don't like. I guess it is a trade off though.

Please forgive me

Hogarth said:
All the TiVos have a virtually identical menu structure.
If you don't like it, and you don't think you ever will adjust, you won't like TiVos.

Most of us, me included, though think TiVo has one of the most elegant UIs around. Let it record for you rather than "channel surfing" and you'll find it rarely gets in the way.

Forgive my ignorance....but what is a UI..."user interface"? I think that is it. Thanks.

jackson5 said:
get used to it. It is that whole change thing I think that is bothering me. I can get used to the favorites being different, etc the one thing I really don't like though is the menu taking up the whole screen and not allowing you to watch TV while you're looking at the menu. That I really don't like. I guess it is a trade off though.

that and there is not a one line quide on the bottom of the screen so you can search the guide, but still watch the "BIG PICTURE"

Agreed

MRTRIPOD said:
that and there is not a one line quide on the bottom of the screen so you can search the guide, but still watch the "BIG PICTURE"

I guess that is what I dislike most about this thing. Whenever you use the menu, you lose the "big picture". There is never a part of the screen that you can always see. Anytime you sue the menu, you lose the picture. That is really the biggest thing that I dislike. I guess there is no way around it huh?

The other thing....and it is kind of dumb, but there are no channel icons. With my sony there were icons such as CBS, ABC, etc. But what made it good for me was the kids channels and others..Disney, etc it made it much easier to find them. I'm trying to set up the favorites and I have no idea what channel is what 'cause I am looking for the icons.

CWS_kahuna said:

Thompson Consumer Electronics has the contract for D-10-100, Samsung is making the D-10-200 and Phillips is making the d-10-300 all are sold as D-10. Hughes was sold by Directv to Thomson Consumer Electronics so they make nothing any more. All Directv DVRs are made by the same contractor to the same specs designed by Directv so it dosen't make any difference who "makes" the R-10 it is semantics wether Directv makes the unit or not. Jackson 5 unless your Sony died why don't you have directv connect it as a second receiver in the bedroom it will only cost you $5/Mo. and you are already used to the remote.

Because I am cheap

boba said:
Thompson Consumer Electronics has the contract for D-10-100, Samsung is making the D-10-200 and Phillips is making the d-10-300 all are sold as D-10. Hughes was sold by Directv to Thomson Consumer Electronics so they make nothing any more. All Directv DVRs are made by the same contractor to the same specs designed by Directv so it dosen't make any difference who "makes" the R-10 it is semantics wether Directv makes the unit or not. Jackson 5 unless your Sony died why don't you have directv connect it as a second receiver in the bedroom it will only cost you $5/Mo. and you are already used to the remote.

I've never had s 2nd reciever and don't need one. I already have the set up necessary(remote sender, etc) so I'm not going to pay the $5/month if I don't have to. You provide great info though. So the question is, how do I program a Universal remote? I have a remote from an RCA reciever and tried that tonight, but it doesn't work. Any thoughts? Thanks

What remote is it?

MRTRIPOD said:
i just programed my terk univeral remote to control the r10 i have

What remote and what code did you use? Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)