Directv receivers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

davva

Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
I have had Directv for over 2 years and, for the most part, I'm reasonably happy with it. I have had a couple of shouting matches with them and have been close to cancelling the service but stayed with it after I cooled down.

I have two receivers. Both leased. The one in the living room is a Tivo but the one in the bedroom isn't.

I called Directv and asked how much it would cost to upgrade the bedroom box to a Tivo and they said $119. That's not too bad but they said I also had to take out another 2 year contract.

That annoyed me a bit as I don't think I should be tied to them for a further two years just because I'm upgrading a receiver so I told them to forget it.

However, I do want a Tivo box in the bedroom.

So I have a couple of questions that I hope the knowledgable people here could answer for me.

1. Can I buy a Tivo receiver from ebay (or somewhere) and plug it in and expect it work OK?

2. Would there be any extra wiring to be installed?

3. Is there any particular type I would have to get?

Thanks in advance

Davva.

davva said:
I have had Directv for over 2 years and, for the most part, I'm reasonably happy with it. I have had a couple of shouting matches with them and have been close to cancelling the service but stayed with it after I cooled down.

I have two receivers. Both leased. The one in the living room is a Tivo but the one in the bedroom isn't.

I called Directv and asked how much it would cost to upgrade the bedroom box to a Tivo and they said $119. That's not too bad but they said I also had to take out another 2 year contract.

That annoyed me a bit as I don't think I should be tied to them for a further two years just because I'm upgrading a receiver so I told them to forget it.

However, I do want a Tivo box in the bedroom.

So I have a couple of questions that I hope the knowledgable people here could answer for me.

1. Can I buy a Tivo receiver from ebay (or somewhere) and plug it in and expect it work OK?

2. Would there be any extra wiring to be installed?

3. Is there any particular type I would have to get?

Thanks in advance

Davva.

1) Yes, you can purchase one from a 3rd party, but obviously you will still have to activate it with D* before it will work to its capacity, chances are, you will still be hit with the commitment, if you take this route, make sure, and verify afterwards that D* adds your owned receiver as owned and not leased.

2) Assuming you have a 3lnb or 5lnb dish, there are 4 outputs from your dish, from your post, I gather you are using 3 of those 4, and since you are replacing the non-dvr with the dvr, all you need to do is run the unused 4th line from the dish (use RG6 coax and quality compression fittings) to the second tuner on the new tivo.

3) I assume you mean receivers, well, obviously, it will have to be one that D* supports.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
Been with DirecTV for 2 years on a lease? I thought that program just started?

Ermmm...yes I think so. I mean, I have been with them since Jan 04 and I'm pretty sure that I don't own the receivers.

damaged said:
1) Yes, you can purchase one from a 3rd party, but obviously you will still have to activate it with D* before it will work to its capacity, chances are, you will still be hit with the commitment, if you take this route, make sure, and verify afterwards that D* adds your owned receiver as owned and not leased.

2) Assuming you have a 3lnb or 5lnb dish, there are 4 outputs from your dish, from your post, I gather you are using 3 of those 4, and since you are replacing the non-dvr with the dvr, all you need to do is run the unused 4th line from the dish (use RG6 coax and quality compression fittings) to the second tuner on the new tivo.

3) I assume you mean receivers, well, obviously, it will have to be one that D* supports.

Thanks for the reply.

If they try and make me commit for another 2 years then I'll fight tooth and nail. After all, I can go elsewhere without early cancellation penalties.

I had a look at the dish and there are (as you said) three coax's coming from there. Am I right in thinking that I can open the front bit up and find an unused coax connector inside? If that's the case then it looks to be a fairly straight forward job.

Davva

davva said:
Thanks for the reply.

If they try and make me commit for another 2 years then I'll fight tooth and nail. After all, I can go elsewhere without early cancellation penalties.

I had a look at the dish and there are (as you said) three coax's coming from there. Am I right in thinking that I can open the front bit up and find an unused coax connector inside? If that's the case then it looks to be a fairly straight forward job.

Davva

There is indeed a 4th connector, it should be a simple job.

davva said:
Thanks for the reply.

Davva
I think you will fight a losing battle, none of us want a commitment, and yes it would seem that you would not be tied to one AFTER you have your 1st commitment, but that is D*s policy, until they change it.

I don't have DISH so I cannot comment on thier policy for commitments, maybe one of the members ghere can jump in and give us the scoop on DISH.

Jimbo

D* has a 1 yr. commitment for adding base model receivers to your account a 2 yr. commitment for advanced receivers (DVR & HD). DISH has an 18 month commitment for new lease customers if they want to qualify for the $49.99 credit. D* just started the lease program in March so if you have been a customer since 04 you own the equipment. Sounds like you have the Phase3 dish, remove the two screws that hold the LNB assenbly to the arm and you will expose your connectors.

So to clear this up...

I currently have a Samsung DVR connected in my living room. I also own a R15 $399 that I am not currently using. If I wanted them to add the R15 to my account for my bedroom, would I have to sign up for a 1-2 year commitment?

I was a customer for 5 years, then left for a year. I signed back up with them on this past Sunday with no commitment, Total Choice, 1 DVR.

I don't see why they would require me to sign a commitment if I own everything, dish, cables, and receivers. They have no incidental costs associated with me.

Anybody else have a similar situation?

:eek: OK I'm a dish network customer but let me get this straight. you guys are telling me a current customer of directv that owns all his equipment and has satisfied his first contract. if he wants to buy another box from a third party and add that box to his account. he will agree to a new one year contract? i know i will stay with dish network now! you guys can put up with that sh*t all you want. i ain't!!!crazy directv is!!!:eek:

hobojoe said:
:eek: OK I'm a dish network customer but let me get this straight. you guys are telling me a current customer of directv that owns all his equipment and has satisfied his first contract. if he wants to buy another box from a third party and add that box to his account. he will agree to a new one year contract? i know i will stay with dish network now! you guys can put up with that sh*t all you want. i ain't!!!crazy directv is!!!:eek:
Do a Dish n it up promotion with DISH and you will have a new 18 mo. commitment also the two services are very similar.:) :) :)

hobojoe said:

LOL!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)