DIRECTV Remains Clear HD Leader with 130 HD Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
sounds like, according to satelliteracer at dbstalk, something is happening this thursday, regarding hd. he said no new channels but reformating. my guess is the legacy channels will officially convert to mpeg4. that makes me a happy camper. but so does fsn florida and sun sports going 24/7 in time for football season. hoping for breakfast with the gators in hd this season!!

Direct release confusing

Check the press release date of the article???? Is this a typo or an old article???

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., July 28, 2007 - DIRECTV, the nation's leading satellite television service provider, continues to dominate the HD landscape by delivering significantly more quality national HD channels than any other television provider in the nation via the most advanced technology. Beginning August 14, DIRECTV will launch more than 30 additional HD channels, bringing the total HD channel lineup to 130.

Check the press release date of the article???? Is this a typo or an old article???

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., July 28, 2007 - DIRECTV, the nation's leading satellite television service provider, continues to dominate the HD landscape by delivering significantly more quality national HD channels than any other television provider in the nation via the most advanced technology. Beginning August 14, DIRECTV will launch more than 30 additional HD channels, bringing the total HD channel lineup to 130.
It is a typo, just as with the RSN count in the article as well.

I think they should proof read their press releases before they make them public.

I am also confused. I never look in the Dish Forum and I saw this when it first posted and it was in the D* Forum. Maybe it was simultaneously posted in both and the threads have since merged. Because when went back and read the last two pages of posts, there were some on there that weren't there when I went to bed at 2am eastern time, but they suddenly showed up this morning. And some of those posts that magically showed up overnight are not quite in the flow of what had been discussed yesterday.

Yea disapointing information for the most part if your not a sports freak, in total one additonal HD channel that I hadnt expected but like.

I expect more national HD channels along with the ones they stated. There is no way D* would only add 4 national channels when it has 35 channels being rolled out.

i agree. the news will be better than what people are expecting right now after that announcement.

:eurekaI think that I read some were a while back that ESPNU is going HD right before Collage football season starts and Directv will be carring it. That is if I remember correctly!!:eureka

:eurekaI think that I read some were a while back that ESPNU is going HD right before Collage football season starts and Directv will be carring it. That is if I remember correctly!!:eureka

Viman - that is one that is resonable to expect. I don't remember seeing a release about it, but it has been talked about.

DirecTV is ALL OVER the sports channels, except WGN America HD, for some reason, still not Cubs HD a couple times a week..... :mad:

WELCOME to SatelliteGUYS by the way!

WOW!!!!!! awesome!!! i'm jumping over here! 1080p! :up

1080p for movies shot in 24 FPS provides ZERO additional information! 1080i incorporates 3:2 pulldown to sync 24 frame per second with 60 Hz so there's always at least one complete video frame of video per film frame. There's an extra video field (half of one interlaced frame) every 5 video fields that's redundant. Nearly every HD display does a good job detecting the 3:2 sequence and deinterlacing for display.

In 1080p60, there's still a 3:2 pull-down sequence (aka judder), but in this case there's additional redundancy (2.5 video frames for every film frame). And of course, the display does not need to deinterlace. There's still 3:2 judder.

Displays that run at 72 or 120 Hz can eliminate the 3:2 judder if it can be detected properly. I've heard mixed reviews on 120 Hz "smooth motion" processing so it's not at all certain that displays do the right thing. Only Pioneer plasmas run at 72 Hz. Some plasmas actually run at 48 Hz in their film mode but I'd expect too much flicker to make a watchable picture.

Soooooooooo, whats the point?

what he's saying is that 1080 p at 24 frames per second wont be any better than the 1080i at 24 frames per second.the picture really wouldn't be any better than what we have now. i really can't see D making a move like this if it wasn't better than what we have now. someone correct me if i'm wrong but HDDVD was 1080i and BluRay is 1080p right? i have always seen the difference between the two. why wouldn't this be the case here?

Well, 1080p on a 1080p display looks much sharper than 1080i/720p. Yes, there is still judder, but its still sharper.

Im going to hedge my bet and say if you have a larger screen 1080ptv, the 1080p D* signal will look better than the 1080i signal. If they do it right.

Bluray on my 50" 1080p tv is a better pic than it was at 720p on my 46". Not a huge leap, but it does look better, so Im not going to fault D* if they do it properly. Also, there are plenty of 24p capable tv's out there for 1080p/24.

Well, 1080p on a 1080p display looks much sharper than 1080i/720p. Yes, there is still judder, but its still sharper.

Im going to hedge my bet and say if you have a larger screen 1080ptv, the 1080p D* signal will look better than the 1080i signal. If they do it right.

Bluray on my 50" 1080p tv is a better pic than it was at 720p on my 46". Not a huge leap, but it does look better, so Im not going to fault D* if they do it properly. Also, there are plenty of 24p capable tv's out there for 1080p/24.

i revised my previous post pointing out pretty much what you just said. besides is the judder really that much of a big deal? not to me. i don't recall experiencing this.

Technically, the term judder was introduced to explain a phenomenon that occurs when movies and other film sources are converted for home viewing using 3:2 pulldown, which uses 4 frames from the original to create 5 interlaced frames in the output. As a result, 3:2 pulldown shows odd frames for 49.98 milliseconds and even frames for 33.33 milliseconds. This mismatch of timing produced a jerky effect that was eventually dubbed as judder.
In Spring 2007, some owners of xx64, xx54, and xx34 Samsung Plasma TV's adopted the term judder to explain a sometimes annoying problem present in this family of PDP's. This particular visual flaw appears when horizontal scrolling news tickers on news, sports, or financial stations are displayed. Specifically, the news ticker starts and stops in small jerky motions instead of moving smoothly. Some owners call this "jumping ticker" effect "tudder," short for ticker judder, to differentiate the ticker judder effect from true judder. Samsung plasmas have no reported visual pulldown judder problems.
To visualize the ticker judder effect, imagine rolling along in your automobile at 10 miles per hour while tapping your foot on the brake pedal. Although the car will continue to roll along, passengers in the car will quickly become annoyed by the constant jerking of the vehicle. The annoying jerky motion of the news tickers in these Samsung models affects some people so much that they return their TVs in exchange for another model or manufacturer. Others, however, are completely unaffected by it.

what he's saying is that 1080 p at 24 frames per second wont be any better than the 1080i at 24 frames per second.the picture really wouldn't be any better than what we have now. i really can't see D making a move like this if it wasn't better than what we have now. someone correct me if i'm wrong but HDDVD was 1080i and BluRay is 1080p right? i have always seen the difference between the two. why wouldn't this be the case here?
Actually, both HDDVD and BR are 1080p and both are capable of displaying 1080p/24 and 1080p/60.

Correct Dodger. I think what he's thinking is the initial cheapo HDDVD players only went up to 1080i.

I think the only way itll be any improvement is if they allow for more bitrate. Say run 3 1080p ppv's off a 38mb TP to give them a little more. I dont think 1080p at 5 per tp will do any better than 1080i at 5 per tp.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)