DIRECTV Remains Clear HD Leader with 130 HD Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Keep that quality at 5 channels per transponder, easily can still do 150 channels. There is no quality issue keeping new channels away, they've got plenty of room for beautiful ST feeds. The real limitation on NFL will be the quality of the image given from CBS & FOX.

So, give me WGN & AMC...

I think of it like this, they announce "130 HD" by Aug 14. They end up adding 18 PPV. It is just a poor method of execution, even if other channels will be coming in weeks or months.

Don't stoop to the count marketing methodology of the competitors. I know they have always counted PPVs, but this is not what customes though when they boasted 130 by aug 14.

Keep that quality at 5 channels per transponder, easily can still do 150 channels. There is no quality issue keeping new channels away, they've got plenty of room for beautiful ST feeds. The real limitation on NFL will be the quality of the image given from CBS & FOX.

So, give me WGN & AMC...

I think of it like this, they announce "130 HD" by Aug 14. They end up adding 18 PPV. It is just a poor method of execution, even if other channels will be coming in weeks or months.

Don't stoop to the count marketing methodology of the competitors. I know they have always counted PPVs, but this is not what customes though when they boasted 130 by aug 14.

Well I read one post by Scott that threw out the idea maybe the 18PPV are place holders for VOOM?.Another posted that Satracer said the contracts were not signed.So there's all types of interesting ideas floating around.;)

I PROMISE YOU - 15-18 PPVs are NOT placeholders for VOOM.

If you see voom on D*, it will be content, not 15 HD channels. They will be very selective of their new HD offerings because they have limited expansion, and have alreadys aid this is the en of their expansin plans for a while (investor call). I wouldn't expect them to add 15 channels of anything. Voom, if ever, would look like a few channels, perhaps some on-demand, but I highly doubt 15 channels will ever appear again, on any provider.

Contacting support about new national HDs (with a little frustration on the lack thereof with last big rollout), reply was
---
Thanks again for writing. I understand your concern regarding this issue.

We can't currently offer all of your channels in HD because our satellite capacity doesn't allow us to do that yet. We're continuing to expand our HD capacity and hope to offer more HD channels in the near future.

--
Which prompted me to ask about the lack of sat space, asking: do we have to wait until D12? (Yes, knowing that is not likely the case).

A Claudette replied, and included the info...

...we don't have plans to add FoxNews and other channels you stated in HD at this time...

"other channels" included HBO HD.

Oh well. That REALLY IS keeping it close to the vest.

Contacting support about new national HDs (with a little frustration on the lack thereof with last big rollout), reply was
---

We can't currently offer all of your channels in HD because our satellite capacity doesn't allow us to do that yet. We're continuing to expand our HD capacity and hope to offer more HD channels in the near future.

--
Which prompted me to ask about the lack of sat space, asking: do we have to wait until D12? (Yes, knowing that is not likely the case).

...we don't have plans to add FoxNews and other channels you stated in HD at this time...

They have plenty of capacity. There are test channels still being linked, many PPVs are only temporary, and not all of the transponders are full.

Also, I can guarantee you that they have no clue on which channels are being added. No matter which channels you ask about the reply would have been, "We don't have plans to add_____________".

---

--

This is also known as 'only the people that need to know - know' and yet those who don't have to field questions about it.

The D* sources are saying nothing new coming in August, just the local market launches that were already announced for August.

Hopefully we'll have brighter Wednesdays in September.

No ESPNU hd in August. Sounds like ole Charlie is negotiating contracts for Direct and Dish.:confused:

Directv has battle plan

You see were Dish has the new trubo HD. and letting it be know it will have 150 HD channels by year end. If you take out the MLB, NFL packs . Dish has a better line up of HD channels. Just a guess i bit Directv will come up with more HD channels by the end of the year. And some type of HD channels only pack to match Dish. Just look at the jump made by Directv last year in sales. I have hard the Dish will not let some that has Dish all ready get the HD trubo pack. Big no ,no if that is true. I think look out for something big in October. Just my guess.:rolleyes::D

You see were Dish has the new trubo HD. and letting it be know it will have 150 HD channels by year end. If you take out the MLB, NFL packs . Dish has a better line up of HD channels. Just a guess i bit Directv will come up with more HD channels by the end of the year. And some type of HD channels only pack to match Dish. Just look at the jump made by Directv last year in sales. I have hard the Dish will not let some that has Dish all ready get the HD trubo pack. Big no ,no if that is true. I think look out for something big in October. Just my guess.:rolleyes::D
If you take away all of the HD offereings neither one offers any. Lol.:p

While I HOPE D* comes up with a HD only package, at this time, they really dont need to. They are getting new subs without it.

Should be no surprise that only new subscribers can get the HD pak that's Dish.:p

It's also good that Dish has announced 150 HD channels,DirecTV already has that capability.Now all that is needed is for Dish to announce capabilities for 200+HD channels and 1500 HD locals by the end of 2009 which DirecTV will have with the launch of D12.:rolleyes:

Should be no surprise that only new subscribers can get the HD pak that's Dish.:p

It's also good that Dish has announced 150 HD channels,DirecTV already has that capability.Now all that is needed is for Dish to announce capabilities for 200+HD channels and 1500 HD locals by the end of 2009 which DirecTV will have with the launch of D12.:rolleyes:

There will be a time in the next couple years when there will be alot more capability than actual available channels, so as long as both get their sats in the sky, the numbers game will be nonsense anyway.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts