DirecTV/ReplayTV Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tyralak

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
Secure, Undisclosed Location
Does anyone know if D* plans on either designing new DVRs or writing new software for existing units based on the newly aquired ReplayTV technology? Or did they buy Replay strictly for it's patents? Even though I'm a Dish guy, I'd love to see D* put this new aquisition to good use and roll out ReplayTV software on D* DVRs. I had a ReplayTV several years back, and it's always been my favorite in terms of software.

From what I remember being said at CES or a investors statement. Direct will be looking at hd boxes from now on.

How this will be incorporated with Replay is anyones guess.

They got them mostly for the patents which protects them from some cases going on and likely most of what may come down the pipe. ReplayTV was not a bad device, they innovated many things, but they were badly marketed by some companies that were too weak at the time and some that failed to understand what ReplayTV was/what they had. The online remote scheduling was always on ReplayTV and now DirecTV has it, so I think they will incorporate items in as they see fit. There really is not 1% or 2% difference in any DVR so these small things are key.

The one feature I am waiting for the most is the software that allows you to dump the RAW recording from the HDD to your PC like ReplayTV had.

Last edited:
They got them mostly for the patents which protects them from some cases going on and likely most of what may come down the pipe. ReplayTV was not a bad device, they innovated many things, but they were badly marketed by some companies that were too weak at the time and some that failed to understand what ReplayTV was/what they had. The online remote scheduling was always on ReplayTV and now DirecTV has it, so I think they will incorporate items in as they see fit. There really is not 1% or 2% difference in any DVR so these small things are key.

What I really loved were the comprehensive genre organization and searching capability. Plus I liked the look of the interface.

Yep, one of the big things going for that brand also help cement their demise; the fact they WANTED to be an outsider, an end user driven device; so they shied (sp?) away from the corp sponsor that TiVo took at every turn. They also got into a fight over the commercial adv feature once they passed on those partnerships (you could call it EXTORTION ATTEMPTS in my book). Once D&M Holdings (Denon, McIntosh Laboratory) bought them, they really didn't know what they had or how to market it, but they had $$$

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts