DirecTV Reups with NFL

anders5189

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
CNBC is reporting that DirecTV will pay the NFL $1 billion a year through 2014 for NFL ST rights. This is a 43% increase from their current deal. I'm sure there will be more details to follow.

Good to see DIRECTV will be making people bend over through 2014 for ST. Can you say $300/season? I think I see that quickly coming.

Broadband Sunday Ticket coming, but no details released as to whether those without Sunday Ticket on DIRECTV can access it for some fee or if it's a bonus for those who just have DIRECTV ST.

More news is that there will be a Red Zone channel at some point available to internet, satellite, cable providers. No details on pricing or exactly which providers have signed up to offer it.

1 Billion a year? Do you think DirecTV even makes money on the ST or if its only for marketing purpose? I mean youd have to have A LOT of people subscribe to get a billion back.....

DirecTV does NOT make money on NFLST in a direct manner (cost vs. total of subscriptions). DirecTV feels (and I disagree) that its exclusive presence brings people to the system.

ST is the only reason I have DirecTV, even if we don't sub to it this year which we may not do as we plan to purchase our first home, we'll be keeping it.

People like me are why they're keeping ST for themselves. We can speculate all we want, but it makes sense at this price for them. We'll never see the data we'd need to rationalize it

Directv and the NFL can suck it hard. Thanks for allowing competition to come in AGAIN. I have my own Sunday Ticket, and it's online thru streaming for free.

DirecTV does NOT make money on NFLST in a direct manner (cost vs. total of subscriptions). DirecTV feels (and I disagree) that its exclusive presence brings people to the system.
Actually it is great for them. The ST is the single best thing about DirecTV. It has and will continue to give tham a huge edge.

Directv and the NFL can suck it hard. Thanks for allowing competition to come in AGAIN. I have my own Sunday Ticket, and it's online thru streaming for free.
I'm with you. JustinTV is far bigger threat to DirecTV than Dish Network could ever hope to be.

Eh, the games I watched on JustinTV weren't something I'd really boast about to someone. On a couple of occasions I was lucky enough to distinguish the numbers on the players. Some broadcasts are better than others, but the Red Zone channel in HD is the best football experience I've ever had short of being at a game. It makes superfan worth paying for.

Eh, the games I watched on JustinTV weren't something I'd really boast about to someone. On a couple of occasions I was lucky enough to distinguish the numbers on the players. Some broadcasts are better than others, but the Red Zone channel in HD is the best football experience I've ever had short of being at a game. It makes superfan worth paying for.
JustinTV is still hit or miss depending on who's putting the games up, but it is a new thing that will get better over time. Before there was no alternative to ST except going to a sports bar. This at least gives people without access to DirecTV something.