DirecTV Revolution Report

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Combine the first sentence with the sentence that follows (but you didn't quote). My statement was correct when taken as a whole.
OK...Sorry, misinterpreted what you meant. Just a point of clarity on my part.

BTW, I did quote it, I just didn't bold it. (Hey that sounds like it could be a line in a song...LOL).

1- yeah that's what it looks like. the way D wants to do the mrv sounds even better than what we're doing now.

Better or not, will it make the CAT5 MRV CE program a joke?

2- not a word on tivo because as you probably know there was a statement released mentioning to expect this Dtivo in 2010. no reason to release any other statements regarding this issue for now :)

There was no such statement from DirecTV, only TiVo has been beating this drum. DirecTV's continued silence on this subject is very telling.

My point was DirecTV had not uttered a single word about this new TiVo thing since the initial press release on 9/3/08, exactly one day before TiVo and E* went to the court hearing on 9/4/08:)

Better or not, will it make the CAT5 MRV CE program a joke?

I don't think so. I don't have a SWM setup currently and I have 3 non SWM compatible DVRs that I don't want to have to spend major $$$$ to replace with R22s. Plus my daughters who use them don't want to lose their saved recordings. So the CAT5 solution (I will probably use a powerline solution instead of wireless) will be my way of doing MRV.

I don't think so. I don't have a SWM setup currently and I have 3 non SWM compatible DVRs that I don't want to have to spend major $$$$ to replace with R22s. Plus my daughters who use them don't want to lose their saved recordings. So the CAT5 solution (I will probably use a powerline solution instead of wireless) will be my way of doing MRV.

But if DirecTV in the end only makes the coax/SWM MRV available as a supported feature, this CAT5 MRV CE will be a joke. Not saying it will happen this way, but correct me if I am wrong, DirecTV never showcased a working CAT MRV demo before, yet they managed to showcase the SWM/coax MRV in front of the retailers without any CE.

But if DirecTV in the end only makes the coax/SWM MRV available as a supported feature, this CAT5 MRV CE will be a joke. Not saying it will happen this way, but correct me if I am wrong, DirecTV never showcased a working CAT MRV demo before, yet they managed to showcase the SWM/coax MRV in front of the retailers without any CE.

i agree with what you're saying. i don't see why they would continue to support MRV over CAT5 and at the same time support MRV over coax. could be wrong.....

i don't see why they would continue to support MRV over CAT5 and at the same time support MRV over coax. could be wrong.....
As conventional LAN setups will always be needed for VOD and PPV, it isn't going anywhere. The fact that it doesn't require any special adaptation or implementation doesn't hurt either.

Why would they drop ethernet networking in favor of SWM? It's likely that they would simply support both, allowing customers with ethernet networks to enable MRV without having to upgrade to SWM, but also allowing the enabling of MRV on SWM setups without any additional hardware or truck rolls or technical support.

I don't think we are saying DirecTv will not support both MRV formats, only that it is interesting they only showed the retailers the SWM MRV, not the CAT MRV. It showed the direction they are going.

I don't think we are saying DirecTv will not support both MRV formats, only that it is interesting they only showed the retailers the SWM MRV, not the CAT MRV. It showed the direction they are going.
:up

We have issuses here D* has to deal with. The 72.5 locals swap switching over to the 99. One we are switching everybodys recievers for IRD KA/KU. When you punch in a channel number that is offered in HD, it will take you to the HD Channel number and channel not purchased. so you have to channel one up to get to the standard duplicate channel. We have a way to hide the Standard Channels, but not the HD Channels. If the tech does not go into display and show Standard. Customer gets no Programing with Channels offered in HD. Confuses the elderly and alot of other customers too. Had a service Call the other day where some of her tv's were not getting her programming from this. CSR's did not help her. By the time I got there, she was so fedup with her new system that she would not even let me explaine everything too her and get everything working correctly for her. She just wanted to cancel her service. I'm all for advance, but we are shoving these HD recievers down standard simple people with standard tv's and have no clue what the tv input button is for. And that alone creats enough service calls in itself. D* Where is the software up date to hide the HD duplicate. That would help alot. Or we can just throw the simple peaple down the drain and let R* have them. TWO. Swaping the DVR's with the R22's. I've never seen so many pissed off customers in my life with these new dvr's. Gray bars on the top and bottom of the picture on the local channels. They dont like it. We take away thier old DVR that has alot of stuff on them they dont want to lose and than throw those gray bars in thier face to boot. We need the HD resolutions enabled on these recievers or just throw more customers at R*. Tech 96335

Last edited:
Communicating over coax seems to be just about the only thing new in this presentation. I don't think it is a sign of direction as much as it is a sign of options and thinking outside the box.

Communicating over coax seems to be just about the only thing new in this presentation. I don't think it is a sign of direction as much as it is a sign of options and thinking outside the box.

I agree. Everyone knows ethernet networking is already out there, and as far as "directions", I don't think they will stop development on ethernet networking to focus on SWM. Likely what will happen is that MRV will be developed independently of the networking methods used, and the SWM networking will be improved upon on it's own. It's pretty clear that ethernet networking is pretty stable (VOD, etc) so this is just another option. Ethernet isn't dying, what other solution would they have for VOD? I would not be surprised to see a coax-ethernet adapter coming soon to enable VOD over SWM, though it all really depends on how they're using the coax to network. If they're simply doing IP over Coax that would work, but if they're simply using an unused video stream on the coax then there would need to be another solution. People who get paid more than any of us are thinking all of this through, though :)

... Everyone knows ethernet networking is already out there ...

I hope you really meant "every retailer" not everyone, certainly not everyone is already aware of the CAT5 solution, a lot of people don't even know VOD exist.

... and as far as "directions", I don't think they will stop development on ethernet networking to focus on SWM ...

Again, I don't think anyone is saying they will stop developing ethernet solutions. The only thing is, DirecTV as I recall never truly officially emphsized ethernet as the MRV solution, only in the CE programs. Yet they apparently had no problem showing the retailers a working model of their SWM MRV, without any CE programs. It most certainly diminished the importance of the CE programs.

I hope you really meant "every retailer" not everyone, certainly not everyone is already aware of the CAT5 solution, a lot of people don't even know VOD exist.
Whether everyone actually knows or not doesn't matter. What I meant is that DirecTV has publicly announced and marketed ethernet networking for their receivers. VOD is out in the mainstream and is not in testing and requires ethernet IP networking to function. The CEs aren't a secret either.

Again, I don't think anyone is saying they will stop developing ethernet solutions. The only thing is, DirecTV as I recall never truly officially emphsized ethernet as the MRV solution, only in the CE programs. Yet they apparently had no problem showing the retailers a working model of their SWM MRV, without any CE programs. It most certainly diminished the importance of the CE programs.
I'm not sure how this 'diminishes' the CE program. The networking technology doesn't necessarily have to be coupled with the MRV code that we have been and are starting to test now. DirecTV doesn't have to throw out the work they've already done or start over in order to enable MRV over SWM. In fact, the SWM networking is very likely simply an addition to the existing MRV solution and will probably be tested through the CE program at some point in the future.

Whether everyone actually knows or not doesn't matter. What I meant is that DirecTV has publicly announced and marketed ethernet networking for their receivers. VOD is out in the mainstream and is not in testing and requires ethernet IP networking to function. The CEs aren't a secret either.

I'm not sure how this 'diminishes' the CE program. The networking technology doesn't necessarily have to be coupled with the MRV code that we have been and are starting to test now. DirecTV doesn't have to throw out the work they've already done or start over in order to enable MRV over SWM. In fact, the SWM networking is very likely simply an addition to the existing MRV solution and will probably be tested through the CE program at some point in the future.

But you are missing the point I was making, I was refering to the DirecTV MRV effort, not the ethernet effort. DirecTV had not officially announced and marketed an ethernet MRV.

Yes, they did carry out, and still are doing an extensive ethernet MRV CE program, which is not an official implementation. Yet at the same time, without any need of CE testing, DirecTV actually managed to showcase a working model of their SWM MRV before the retailers.

IMHO, it diminishes the importance of the current ethernet MRV CE program. I am not talking about anything else, only the MRV.

a better dvr

directv needs to start making thier dvr receivers more reliable,i hear customers complain about them constantly.dish networks dvr receivers "722,622" is still a all around much better receiver.thats just what i hear on a regular basis.

directv needs to start making thier dvr receivers more reliable,i hear customers complain about them constantly.dish networks dvr receivers "722,622" is still a all around much better receiver.thats just what i hear on a regular basis.

And that is my own experience as well, after switching from E* to D*.

Who knows, maybe D* is working on a more reliable way to do MRV, with coax MRV I can see a less complex network system dedicated to MRV. Frankly I am glad I stopped participating in the MRV CE program a month ago, and if D* can just make a reliable SWM MRV available soon without all the CE nonsense, I will be one of the first to call them to add the SWM and MRV for me.

Only those with issues actually post. Most subs have no issues at all. The most common complaint is how slow some models are compared to others. For the most part the DVRs are reliable.

Only those with issues actually post. Most subs have no issues at all. The most common complaint is how slow some models are compared to others. For the most part the DVRs are reliable.

i'll second that;) they are slow but reliable. lots of features too.it'll get better.........

I live in a MDU building , MFH2 system. With all this talking about MRV over coax, I wonder how can it be done in a condo where SWMs are shared. As far as I know, all I have inside my unit is a SWS-4 splitter that somehow is connected to a SWM somewhere in the building . We only have 1 dish shared by 180 units !

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts