DirecTV Revolution Report

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I live in a MDU building , MFH2 system. With all this talking about MRV over coax, I wonder how can it be done in a condo where SWMs are shared. As far as I know, all I have inside my unit is a SWS-4 splitter that somehow is connected to a SWM somewhere in the building . We only have 1 dish shared by 180 units !

No idea how MDU differs, but my speculation is without the SWM, the HDDVRs must use a B band converter for each tuner, that might cause problems for the coax-MRV.

Otherwise, coax-MRV is just that, coax-MRV, as long as you have a coax ready to go without some band converter in the way.

Pure speculation though.

Last edited:
Only those with issues actually post.
Many with issues who happen to have SatelliteGuys accounts post. None of my coworkers with DIRECTV have accounts here and they have all sorts of different problems. We had to watch the Superbowl OTA over Comcast in one case.

Then there are those who don't bother with the me too posts.

They key is that those that don't have problems rightly aren't compelled to add insult to injury by posting that they are lucky.

Many with issues who happen to have SatelliteGuys accounts post. None of my coworkers with DIRECTV have accounts here and they have all sorts of different problems. We had to watch the Superbowl OTA over Comcast in one case.

Yep:)

How exactly can you connect a Hr20 to a H21 VIA coax for MRV?
Cat 5 or 6 is real cut and dry. But my H21 only has 1 coax input.
So how does this work?

How exactly can you connect a Hr20 to a H21 VIA coax for MRV?
Cat 5 or 6 is real cut and dry. But my H21 only has 1 coax input.
So how does this work?
Using MoCA through one of the tuners. No additional cables are thought to be required.

I agree. Technology in electronics has outraced the consumers ability to use it. I cite the new Dish 922 receiver as an example.
For techies, it's a snap. But this box is unmarketable to people over the age of 40. Imagine trying to get a 55 or 60 year old customer to understand a touchscreen remote.

I think both satcos should perfect what they have now.
By that I mean, make them simpler to use and understand. Fewer buttons on the remote, and clear plain English instructions.

Wow, as dumb a statement as I have ever read. I am over 55 (a huge tech nut-always have to have the latest) and my hobby is setting up friends and family home theaters. And you know what is strange -- it has been easier to set up systems for those over 50 then under 50. And you know why? Because those under 50 THINK they know what they are talking about and they have not a clue. The younger they are the more the think they know and the more misinformed they have become. I find that younger people just do not do their homework.

And by the way, every time I set up a touchscreen remote for someone -- no matter the age -- they always meantion how much easier it is to use. Your idea that someone over 50 or 60 is not tech savvy just shows how out-of-touch you are. There are people, both old and young, who resist new product ideas just as there are those who no matter their age soak in new tech like it is fresh water in a desert. Age descrimination ideology needs to be thrown out the window if we are every to advance as a civilization.

They key is that those that don't have problems rightly aren't compelled to add insult to injury by posting that they are lucky.
So. That does not change the fact that more people do not have problems than do have problems. If you want to go the anecdotal rout, then I know 5 people personally whom have DirecTV and many others not so personally and none of them have brought up an issue with their receiver. The five I know personally, I know for sure have never had a problem at all either, like myself.

Last edited:
The speculation is that SWM is required for MRV over coax.

That may be true, but I like to speculate that it is really the elimination of the band converters/filters that is the key. In the case of the MDU situations, even though there is no SWM even close to his unit, a coax MRV should still work as long as a proper switch is installed, and no band converters/filters are in the way within his own MRV network. Outside of his unit, who cares as far as his MRV is concerned?

That may be true, but I like to speculate that it is really the elimination of the band converters/filters that is the key. In the case of the MDU situations, even though there is no SWM even close to his unit, a coax MRV should still work as long as a proper switch is installed, and no band converters/filters are in the way within his own MRV network. Outside of his unit, who cares as far as his MRV is concerned?

Just to clarify my original question, there IS a SWM but not inside my unit or exclusive to my unit. The MDU MFH2 system works with SWM. There is no band converters and only one coax cable feeds the 2 tuners on the HD DVR receiver. All I have inside my unit is 4-way splitter and one coax cable to each of my 4 HD-DVR receivers . Most likely Directv will do something to avoid MRV between different accounts but this is just a guess.

Just to clarify my original question, there IS a SWM but not inside my unit or exclusive to my unit. The MDU MFH2 system works with SWM. There is no band converters and only one coax cable feeds the 2 tuners on the HD DVR receiver. All I have inside my unit is 4-way splitter and one coax cable to each of my 4 HD-DVR receivers . Most likely Directv will do something to avoid MRV between different accounts but this is just a guess.

I understood you correctly, which led to my speculation that the coax MRV should work for you.

Without SWM, not only each tuner requires its own dedicated coax cable, but a B band converter must also be added on to that cable. We know already the B band converter interferes with the OTA diplexing, it is not too difficult to think such interference will have serious impact on the coax MRV.

In the case of the MDU situations, even though there is no SWM even close to his unit, a coax MRV should still work as long as a proper switch is installed, and no band converters/filters are in the way within his own MRV network.
If you're talking about MPEG4 capable MDUs, your almost always talking about SWM. In an SWM installation there are never any BBCs.

Proximity may well be an issue. Preventing neighbors from being able to access your HR2x is also an issue.

The WB68 stack plan is just plain incompatible with the current MoCA standards as it consumes all manner of lower frequencies. MoCA needs a more-or-less direct connection between receivers to work.

Obviously MFH3 provides for its own data channels.

...The WB68 stack plan is just plain incompatible with the current MoCA standards as it consumes all manner of lower frequencies.

Which explains why the need for the B band converters and why OTA diplexing had problems.

...MoCA needs a more-or-less direct connection between receivers to work...

As long as the lower frequencies are available?

Surely SWM does not eliminate high frequencies in the coax.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)