Directv RV Wiring Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BigDogDad737

Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Reno, NV and points east
I have an HD DVR in my RV, with two TV's attached. The main TV is connected directly to the DVR with HDMI and Fiber Optic Sound. The bedroom TV is connected with analog connections through my RV wiring on RG-6 cables with stereo jacks on the ends (red/white/yellow). The problem with this wiring is my new Samsung bedroom TV is sending signals to my Directv DVR that it is not connected to HD, so the Directv DVR keeps switching to 480P. I'd like to change the wiring in the rear to be able to get HD all around.

I can change the wiring around to use the DVR component connections, still using the 3 RG-6 cables, for the video feed but then I won't have any audio feed. I still have one additional RG-6 cable that runs to the rear, attached to the rooftop batwing antenna, which I never use. My thought is to use that cable to run from the Digital Coaxial Output on the DVR to the bedroom TV. However, the bedroom TV does not have the same style input. Instead there is a blue plastic port, about a half inch square, that is labeled "HDMI/PC/DVI-D Audio Input". My Samsung manual does not explain what type of cables or attachments this port requires. It appears to be a 3.5mm jack style input, probably designed for using a PC or Laptop to connect to the TV??

My question... Does anyone know if I can adapt an RG-6 coaxial cable to connect the DVR and TV using the Samsung input? I have the stereo jack for the DVR end, but how can I connect to the HDMI/PC/DVI-D port, and will it work??

I'm seriously trying to avoid having to run new cables over the rooftop and drilling holes in the roof to install them.

I have an HD DVR in my RV, with two TV's attached. The main TV is connected directly to the DVR with HDMI and Fiber Optic Sound. The bedroom TV is connected with analog connections through my RV wiring on RG-6 cables with stereo jacks on the ends (red/white/yellow). The problem with this wiring is my new Samsung bedroom TV is sending signals to my Directv DVR that it is not connected to HD, so the Directv DVR keeps switching to 480P. I'd like to change the wiring in the rear to be able to get HD all around.

I can change the wiring around to use the DVR component connections, still using the 3 RG-6 cables, for the video feed but then I won't have any audio feed. I still have one additional RG-6 cable that runs to the rear, attached to the rooftop batwing antenna, which I never use. My thought is to use that cable to run from the Digital Coaxial Output on the DVR to the bedroom TV. However, the bedroom TV does not have the same style input. Instead there is a blue plastic port, about a half inch square, that is labeled "HDMI/PC/DVI-D Audio Input". My Samsung manual does not explain what type of cables or attachments this port requires. It appears to be a 3.5mm jack style input, probably designed for using a PC or Laptop to connect to the TV??

My question... Does anyone know if I can adapt an RG-6 coaxial cable to connect the DVR and TV using the Samsung input? I have the stereo jack for the DVR end, but how can I connect to the HDMI/PC/DVI-D port, and will it work??

I'm seriously trying to avoid having to run new cables over the rooftop and drilling holes in the roof to install them.
Would you seriously drill holes to run cables in the ROOF of your RV ?
I wouldn't ....

Can you get to the basement ? Running your wiring underneath ?

The reason the DVR keeps changing to 480 is the Composite connections your using doesn't handle HD. (sounds like you already knew that .)

Yes, I would seriously run the cables over the roof. (I don't have an open basement, just side cabinets.) My TV's are both mounted in cabinets at the ceiling level, so to run cables I'd have to run them inside the ceiling (which I can't get to because it's glued on) underneath along the frame which would necessitate drilling up through the floor (also not a good idea) or across the rooftop. If someone made a 50 foot long HDMI cable I'd truely be tempted to do just that, I'd even put it inside conduit to protect it. But, as I said, since I already have 4 perfectly good RG-6 cables running between the TV's, why not just use them if possible?

There's a lot of internal wiring inside my RV that will be impacted if I'm not careful about what I do. My television system connects to 2 different internal junction boxes that control switching between the DVR, DVD, VHS, BatWing antenna, Outside cable connection, Outside satellite connection, the rooftop satellite dish, an A/B switch, and both televisions. One of the switch boxes has both analog and component connections, but no audio connections so that doesn't help much. And, I've installed Sirius radio, a GPS and a Wilson cell phone booster all with an external antennas. I managed to run all these connections through an already existing hole in the roof, but I had to make it bigger to accomodate the additional cables. There is an excellent product called Dicor that was made to seal holes in RV roofs, and it works very well. I'm not worried about going through the roof if I have to.

Well guys, PROBLEM SOLVED.
Stopped by Radio Shack today to pick up some new cables, and walked into an AUVIO Wireless HD Transmitter Kit sitting on the shelf right next to the cables. According to the box, it "Wirelessly transmits a 1080p picture and digital sound so you can enjoy your HD television or BluRay movie in two rooms without having to run cables."

Works very well too!! The unit was listed as $199.99 but was on close-out for 99.99. Saved a hundred dollars AND fixed the problem!

Thanks for all your input.

Whew! I've been watching this thread just waiting to see "well, I drilled through the roof"! Glad I never seen that and you got your issue worked out!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ESPN U Gone?

Just ordered the HR34!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)