DIRECTV SD / HD Changes coming

I kind of remember HD ran in the 8mb/s range before I retired with five channels per 36MHz Ka transponder and I thought they were running 8-PSK back then. I have the data somewhere but I'm sure many here have old and new rates if they have changed.
They do run 8-PSK modulation on some of the Ka band local spotbeams, since they have a higher PFD. Such as the ones covering the LA market here (A1BB and A4BB from 103W).

But never for the Ka CONUS ones.

As those are always QPSK at a 2/3 FEC as slice noted earlier. ....

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

The modulation raises the bitrate of the transponder, it doesn't cut the bit rate for a given HD channel - it lets you fit more channels in the transponder.

They use 8PSK 2/3 on a few Ka spotbeams, that bumps the bit rate up from 40 Mbps to 60 Mbps. You pay for it with a lower signal margin (i.e. it would show up with a lower number in the "signal strength" screen than if it was configured as QPSK 2/3) so rain fade would affect that transponder before one using QPSK 2/3.

Unless things have changed, they have always used QPSK 2/3 on all Ka transponders. There has only ever been one DVB-S2 Ku transponder (on 119) so I don't know we can use that as a guide for what modulation they'd use. They can't use QPSK 6/7 since that isn't part of the DVB-S2 spec.

If they used 8PSK 2/3 on that Ku transponder they'd get the same 40 Mbps the Ka transponders have. It would be affected by rain fade a little earlier than the DSS/MPEG2 transponders but still be more resistant to rain fade than Ka transponders. IF (and its a big if) they plan on adding more DVB-S2/MPEG4 transponders to 101 that would make the most sense, as their Ka and Ku transponders would have the exact same data rate and effectively be interchangeable.
Got it, thanks ...

I should have said earlier would using 8-PSK mod. roughly "half the required bandwidth?" and not the "data rate" which would be the same of course.

Since going to a higher level modulation reduces the necessary symbol rate and therefore the bandwidth for a given data rate. At the cost of a less robust signal to noise and interference of course.

Oh, and the 8-PSK LiL spotbeams on Ka use either 2/3 or 3/5 FEC.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Just as a heads up, Direct is killing the SD units already. We did not get the e-mail that was mentioned in the first post. One of ours died sometime Sunday. The other died Monday at 1230. Then came the purging of equipment in the My Equipment list. And e-mail came before this happened saying there is no need to return the equipment, please recycle. Today's email was for new billing. With a CS number different than the one on screen. Which Monday was feeding calls to a DSL rep. And you could not get to a real CS person. DSL tech or Sales, that was it.

Too change out from SD to HD, there should be a Tech involved, its more than just swapping out the recvr.

Also, there should be no charge on your part.
Dish, wiring, and receivers. I installed the very first DirecTv units when we bought them back when you bought them instead of leasing the equipment. Yes, we've been a customer that long. We started in 1995. Wiring shouldn't require changing as I already have Direct 6 series wiring. Will know when the tech shows up to drop off the new stuff in the morning.

Too change out from SD to HD, there should be a Tech involved, its more than just swapping out the recvr.

It depends on whether it is a customer that's still MPEG2 SD only or has some HD (or R22) receivers currently. For the latter, they can just ship out an H24/HR24, BBC and instructions and let the customer replace them.

There will be a few (mostly older) customers who are unable or unwilling to do it, but sending an installer for that 2% or whatever of customers is cheaper than sending them for 100%.

For customers that are SD only obviously you're right, since a new dish will be need, PI, splitters and so forth along with the new receivers.

Reactions: Jimbo
It depends on whether it is a customer that's still MPEG2 SD only or has some HD (or R22) receivers currently. For the latter, they can just ship out an H24/HR24, BBC and instructions and let the customer replace them.

There will be a few (mostly older) customers who are unable or unwilling to do it, but sending an installer for that 2% or whatever of customers is cheaper than sending them for 100%.

For customers that are SD only obviously you're right, since a new dish will be need, PI, splitters and so forth along with the new receivers.
I forgot the possibility of the Sub already having the correct dish due to another recvr.

And the tech refused to just leave the equipment. Tech can't enter house as mom is not able to take any of the vaccines and doesn't leave the house. But there is a way around it. I will do the install of equipment we will own. Just as was the case when we first started with D*Tv. So there will be a SL3T-SWM-B dish kit and an HR24 HD receiver on the way June 1st. I already have Direct 6 cables so that does not need changed. In fact, one will become a spare.

And the tech refused to just leave the equipment. Tech can't enter house as mom is not able to take any of the vaccines and doesn't leave the house. But there is a way around it. I will do the install of equipment we will own. Just as was the case when we first started with D*Tv. So there will be a SL3T-SWM-B dish kit and an HR24 HD receiver on the way June 1st. I already have Direct 6 cables so that does not need changed. In fact, one will become a spare.
This doesn't surprise me at all ...

We were definitely still going in homes to work thruout the Pandemic, at least up to the time that I retired.
I can't imagine they have restricted techs from going inside, thats half the job in some cases.

They have a slew of tests that need to be done and passing before leaving, so like I said, it doesn't surprise me.

you won't own the HR24...

Reactions: Jimbo
What’s the big deal with the tech installing the receiver?. As long as he is fully vaccinated or wears a mask there is nothing to worry about.

Reactions: trojan67 and Jimbo
Reposting as this forum doesn't get as much activity and I want to increase my chances of a response.

My 80+ year old parents are affected by this switch. One of their must have channels is GSN. They have an appointment set up this Friday to "upgrade" their SD-only service, but after I looked at their work order, they are getting a Genie + 1 Mini, which I know will not work for them. What they need is standalone HD receivers.(no DVRs). Will I be able to talk the rep into a non-Genie, non-DVR, HD setup order at all?

They are probably more likely to switch to Xfinity if not.

Its possible you might be able to talk them into, but they are going to wonder why anyone would not want a DVR. Given the age of H2x/HR2x hardware they might be resistant to installing them other than as a replacement or addition for someone who already has them.

Its possible you might be able to talk them into, but they are going to wonder why anyone would not want a DVR. Given the age of H2x/HR2x hardware they might be resistant to installing them other than as a replacement or addition for someone who already has them.
The house is already wired for standalone receivers and they take one of them with them on summer weekends to their vacation RV park (permanent site). If I hadn't intervened, they would have been extremely pissed that a Genie mini wouldn't work alone and be stuck with the situation for another year or a hefty ETF.

Yes, they already have the proper dish installed at the cabin.

The house is already wired for standalone receivers and they take one of them with them on summer weekends to their vacation RV park (permanent site). If I hadn't intervened, they would have been extremely pissed that a Genie mini wouldn't work alone and be stuck with the situation for another year or a hefty ETF.

As I replied in the other thread ... call them asap .
You should be able to let them know that one situation will not work while another will ...

The Genie and Client is the "Default" option as they would like to get everyone on clients, but it doesn't work for everyone.

Does D* already know about the one at the Cabin ?

Just tell them that you take one of your recvrs for Tailgating at the Football games in the Fall and need a Stand Alone for that purpose.

As for the DVR portion, I wouldn't worry about the DVR, the majority of the recvrs are DVR, just don't use it, no big deal.

Most set ups are already covered for them with the All in One pricing.

So DVRs would be fine, they just can't have a mini. You might have a better chance to convince Directv to give your parents a Genie and an H24 using the "tailgating" argument.

So DVRs would be fine, they just can't have a mini. You might have a better chance to convince Directv to give your parents a Genie and an H24 using the "tailgating" argument.
So, if they bought an H24 themselves (or if I found one cheap here) to use only a few months a year, DTV would activate it on a Genie account?

So, if they bought an H24 themselves (or if I found one cheap here) to use only a few months a year, DTV would activate it on a Genie account?
You can activate an H24 with an HR54 or HR44, but not an HS17. Also you will most certainly need to get it from Directv, not a third party.