DirecTV Slimline to FTA Ku

MattFL

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 24, 2022
South Florida
I’ve been thinking about doing a proof of concept project; converting a DirecTV slimline to FTA. I finally came across a trash pile pickup last week and set about the conversion. This setup is just a temporary test bed. After a little trial and error I was able to zero in on the elusive AMC21 at 125W. Q87 on the PBS mux!!! Now I just need to find a 2” j-mount for its permanent home. This is joining my 90cm Ku on an H-H motor. Total spent - $18 for the LNB mount and a DISEqC switch.

Attachments

• 94C7E5CC-1654-4771-BB69-072092063EDE.jpeg
    94C7E5CC-1654-4771-BB69-072092063EDE.jpeg
    404.5 KB · Views: 385
Update… dish is now permanently mounted on the house and is performing well. I have found that it works best with vertical transponders. PBS feeds on 125W come in very well with a Q of 88 steady, only slightly less than my 90cm. Horizontal transponders, such as Reuters on 129W, don’t lock as well. The Q bounces from 72 to 90 but there was no pixelation.
My HH motor setup doesn’t like to stop on vertical transponders on the first attempt (returns to reference and then back) so I decided to fix the slimline modded dish to 125W so I have no frustration tuning in PBS. This is one of the few sats with vertical only transponders I directly go to on a regular basis. Other sats have a horizontal transponder I usually hit up first. I believe the HH motor lock issue has to do with the lower voltage the receiver is sending for the vertical transponders.

Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking what are you measurements for mounting the LNB? I have one mounted on dish hill but I haven't had the time to play with it much but would love to get 125 locked in using it. My motor seems to not want to move to 125 sometimes, and it's a new motor go figure lol

Thanks

Reactions: c-spand
I used the old Directv LNB and a speed square to give me a reference point for the new lnb. I just tried to mount the lnb in the same position as the old one. I found that there was a little leeway in positioning the new lnb. I didn‘t have to be as precise as I was expecting. If you don’t have an old Directv lnb, try temporarily attaching the lnb bracket with a clamp and experimenting with the position. Also, I did not skew the dish. I skewed the lnb.
See my post above about the motor issue. I believe that is your problem. The solution is to first tune to a horizontal transponder, which I believe would be channels HD04 and HD05. Try that.

Thanks for the info! In your photo it looks like mine is relatively in the same place as yours. I'll play around a little more with the lnb mount and hopefully I'll find the sweet spot.
Thank you again for the help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts