Directv smart cards

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Claude Greiner

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Detroit - The Paris of the Midwest
So over the years I have noticed that Directv has like 5 or 6 versions of access cards that they are using.

So are all these cards identical as far as chips are concerned, or are they upgraded versions to enhance security?

I haven’t seen a Directv card swap in years, where Dish has done 2 maybe 3 complete card swaps.

Just curious.

I think each card has better security features, but since none have been hacked there is no point doing a card swap.

Some of the older cards won't work in newer receivers, they will show up as all 0s if you insert them. I don't know how many generations there are exactly though. I know this was true with cards in D10s & H10s that didn't work in H20s/H24s.

For most people it doesn't matter since residential customers can't move cards around anyway.

They make you get a new card most of the time anyways.

I'm gonna guess that theres been about 5-6 different ones out there over the years, but I think they probably only have 2 maybe 3 that are working now.
I would imagine all the older ones have been shut down.

I haven't looked at the card in years.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
I checked today, I've got two kinds, one like these in the H20s:

81JBUOnSOBL._SX425_.jpg
81JBUOnSOBL._SX425_.jpg

Others like these in the H24s:

HTB1f4KMPVXXXXa8XFXXq6xXFXXX7.jpg

The ones in the H20s won't work in the H24s. There were an even older card I can't remember what they looked like in the H10s/D10s, they didn't work in the H20s or H24s, so when I sold those receivers I left the cards in them since they'd at least be of use to a buyer with a commercial account.

I checked today, I've got two kinds, one like these in the H20s:

81JBUOnSOBL._SX425_.jpg
81JBUOnSOBL._SX425_.jpg

Others like these in the H24s:

HTB1f4KMPVXXXXa8XFXXq6xXFXXX7.jpg

The ones in the H20s won't work in the H24s. There were an even older card I can't remember what they looked like in the H10s/D10s, they didn't work in the H20s or H24s, so when I sold those receivers I left the cards in them since they'd at least be of use to a buyer with a commercial account.
My current card in the HR44 has picture of a Sat on it and say ... The HD Leader ...

My old HR24 has one that looks like your 2nd picture.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
To my knowledge the cards have been upgraded over the years mostly for security issues from hackers. There might have been a point they were upgraded due to needed receiver functionality, but that may have been for the DTVLA Latin American service. I forget the exact cost per card, but I think it was in the $10 to $15 range per card with shipping. Multiply that by 20 million or so customers with multiple receivers and its a very expensive exercise.

I also remember the cards were property of NDS at the time and they may have had to foot some of the bill for card upgrades due to hacking of their stuff. NDS is more than rumored to be behind the huge hack of Dish a number of years ago and is now part of Cisco.

So over the years I have noticed that Directv has like 5 or 6 versions of access cards that they are using.

So are all these cards identical as far as chips are concerned, or are they upgraded versions to enhance security?

I haven’t seen a Directv card swap in years, where Dish has done 2 maybe 3 complete card swaps.

Just curious.

I think each card has better security features, but since none have been hacked there is no point doing a card swap.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)