Directv stream 4k live channels added

I WANT MORE

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
"Middle of Nowhere"
Channel 104 4k HDR just showed up on one of my Ospreys.
The video is extremely choppy. It acts like the box does not have enough memory to display the video properly.
Also, it is a royal PIA to have to change setting to enable HDR if you would want to watch the channel. Leaving HDR enabled makes the non-hdr channels look awful.

Reactions: longhorn23
They need to button up some software development, as the box should be able to handle it fine. It can play 4K in Netflix, Amazon, and other apps without issue I assume, as I haven't read of issues (I do not have the box personally). That said, any box with HDR should offer support for native HDR/SDR. It's ok to offer a setting for always on or always off, but the default should be to match the original content. I have to think the first experience with 4K stream is a result of the app software versus the hardware but time will tell.

The bandwidth demands for 4K VOD and linear 4K are very different. With VOD they can use multipass encoding to get the bitrate down, they don't have that option with linear content.

Is your Gemini/Osprey connected via ethernet or wifi, and if it's wifi how far away is it from the router? The support page says the live 4K streams require at least 25 Mbps, but the further away you are from the router, the slower the actual throughput. Some default QoS and "fairness" settings on routers might also throttle the traffic if it assumes that the high bitrate stream is a large software download that can be given low priority.

The bandwidth demands for 4K VOD and linear 4K are very different. With VOD they can use multipass encoding to get the bitrate down, they don't have that option with linear content.

Is your Gemini/Osprey connected via ethernet or wifi, and if it's wifi how far away is it from the router? The support page says the live 4K streams require at least 25 Mbps, but the further away you are from the router, the slower the actual throughput. Some default QoS and "fairness" settings on routers might also throttle the traffic if it assumes that the high bitrate stream is a large software download that can be given low priority.

I am using Wi-Fi. I get higher mbps via Wi-Fi vs ethernet. I get 500 down and 35 up. I have zero issues with the multiple devices that I have connected. Thanks

Any word on when the android tv app will be updated for 4k?

Attachments

• IMG_0260.jpeg
    IMG_0260.jpeg
    206.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0259.jpeg
    IMG_0259.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 74
Reactions: longhorn23
I added Stream to the 4K chart (sticky post)

according to users on other forums 4K sports are "in market" only.

which is different from SAT, with SAT if you have MLB EI you get Red Sox and Dodgers 4K games

which is different from SAT, with SAT if you have MLB EI you get Red Sox and Dodgers 4K games
DIRECTV Stream/Internet doesn't have Extra Innings. The only out of market package on Stream is NBA League Pass Premium, which uses seperate team specific feeds supplied by the NBA Content Command Center instead of RSN remaps, along with bonus streams for things like post game media scrums.

It also only applies to RSN games. Things like Fox's FIFA 4K telecasts are available nationally.

However, there are no streams of the CINE4K channels that get repurposed for extra live sports. Like tonight's NESN 4K Red Sox game is on 107 CINE4K which is not available to stream.

Satellite customers need to use the league's TV Everywhere app (NBA.TV, MLB.TV, NHL.TV) as the RSN streams you get on DIRECTV's app are tailored to your zip code and don't include out of market games. The streams for Bally and YES are the same hyperlocal feeds that cable viewers get with national filler programming on their out of market feeds, the rest of the RSNs like SNY, MSG, MASN, NESN, NBCS, Marquee, ATTSN, Root, Altitude and Spectrum redirect out of market viewers to blackout slates during games.

Reactions: Gary Toma
I added Stream to the 4K chart (sticky post)

Is that right ????

I have MLB EI's and if I happen to see the Red Sox or Dodgers in 4k and go to the 105 or 106 channels, its Usually Blacked out.

Tonights Red Sox game on 106 is Blacked out, however, more than likely its because they are playing Detroit, which is my Local area (which is whole other issue).
I'll check next week when they play someone else, but I've seen a few games from time to time, but most are being blacked out.

Reactions: AkaDoubleG
Is that right ????

I have MLB EI's and if I happen to see the Red Sox or Dodgers in 4k and go to the 105 or 106 channels, its Usually Blacked out.

Tonights Red Sox game on 106 is Blacked out, however, more than likely its because they are playing Detroit, which is my Local area (which is whole other issue).
I'll check next week when they play someone else, but I've seen a few games from time to time, but most are being blacked out.
Ok,
Tonight, the Dodgers game IS coming in in 4k ... 106

Is it a Red Sox channel / agreement ?

Last year I could get them from time to time ... really no way to know if they would be on, till tuning in.

Reactions: AkaDoubleG
Might vary based on where you live /local blackouts

If Dodgers or Red Sox play Os or Nats im.blackout but I get all other Dodgers and red Sox 4k games no problem via sat.

It was also said that since D* streaming does not offer mlb EI is the reason why its local/in market only (source tvanswerman.com)

This past weekend there were live 4K sports on DTV Satellite chs. 107 & 108.... but DTV Stream did not get them because the 4K channels on Stream stop at Channel 106.

Is this a technical glitch that the Stream engineers need to fix ?

Their server doesn't currently have any streaming feeds for CINE4K 107 and 108.

As a workaround for NESN's 4K events that are bumped to 107 or 108, in market viewers can also get a 4K stream by logging into the NESN 360 app on compatible devices, but unfortunately the NBC Sports app doesn't currently offer 4K streams for the White Sox, while the Spectrum SportsNet app is mobile/tablet only. In the rare event that a FOX Sports event is bumped to 107/108 you can also stream those in 4K via the FOX Sports app.

Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016
Their server doesn't currently have any streaming feeds for CINE4K 107 and 108.
Thanks, did not know.....

I do see a PR issue when higher profile events, like some simultaneous World Cup games get the overflow channels 107 and 108. But yeah, I know that's way in the future.