Directv subscription required to enable OTA tuner?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pakbackr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I have a Samsung SIR-TS360 Directv HD tuner with an OTA tuner built in. I recently switched to Dish and am trying to sell this unit on eBay. I had a question from a potential buyer that I cannot answer. He wants to know if a Directv subscription is required to enable OTA tuner? Or does the OTA act independent, allowing him to possibly just buty this to serve as his OTA tuner. Anyone know how this technology works?

Depends on how old the receiver is. I have an old (we're talking 6 year old generation receiver) Hughes E-86 which *does* work fine OTA without a DirecTV subscription. But in the past few years DirecTV closed that loophole because they didn't like people buying their receivers and then not getting a DirecTV subscription.

FYI it's easy enough to test it since I'd assume you have it inactive now. Plug in an antenna and see if you can get OTA.

I did a google search (google is your friend) and the first hit I got was a sale at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SIR-TS360-DirecTV-High-Definition-Receiver/dp/B0001OHHI8

One of the reviews stated this:
I don't even have this hooked up to my directv account, it works standalone with OTA signal. Now THAT'S A NICE FEATURE.

Yes, you need to make sure you choose "No Dish". Get the PDF product manual, its very simple.

But after that, it works well. I have OTA HD signals coming in. And the "option" to add it to my directv account if I choose.

But again, this is a good as any standalone OTA unit I've found.

I have this receiver, SIR-TS360. Yes it works for OTA without being activated on a D* account. As a bonus, without being activated it can receive OTA guide info from D* sats if hooked to a dish as well as an OTA antenna. I am using it this way myself.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)