Directv & Sunbeam Reach Agreement!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DIRECTV Reaches Agreement for Sunbeam to Restore Boston and Miami Stations

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DIRECTV released the following statement today:

"We are pleased to have reached an agreement to end the Sunbeam blackout, and regret that any of our customers were forced into the middle of a business dispute where they should never have been in the first place. We believe, like many, the public interest is best served by allowing customers to keep their local broadcast stations as we negotiate future agreements, rather than being denied access by broadcast stations and used as leverage in what should be a private business matter."

That's good for most people and I'm happy about it. Thing is, I'm going to miss NBCNY as they had become part of my morning routine.
WHDH Boston is bush league compared to those guys.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

That's good for most people and I'm happy about it. Thing is, I'm going to miss NBCNY as they had become part of my morning routine.

Reason Number 47,234 why EVERYONE should be able to subscribe to the DNS channels. If some of the crappy locals out there had some competition, maybe they wouldn't be so awful. People shouldn't be "punished" for where they live. If they subscribe to TV, they should be able to subscribe to a channel that someone else gets - in HD - a county or two away. Also for those who have an affiliate of a network that looks like it was put together by a low-budget highschool AV club.

Of course well never here what the hold up was as in the numbers bargined with and just what that 300% ended up being in the long run.

That said, it's done, ironically in time for the Pats Super Bowl .... imagine that !

Glad it's done, lets hope D* didn't get screwed.

Fiachra said:

Agreed. WHDH is pretty much a local version of TMZ with some news and whether mixed in. In my opinion of course.

They seem to care more about entertainment news over the rest. Also, what's up with zooming out from a full shot of the newscasters' faces to show that big useless "7" logo that they have above their heads. We're not stupid, we know we're watching channel 7. That little bug on the side of the screen is sufficient. One of the guys looks like a school student trying to sit as strait up in his chair to get the teacher to notice him.

Last edited:
Actually it is Reason #1, and no other reason is needed, as to why the Fortnightly case was rightly decided by the Supreme Court, and how Congress messed up by changing the law.

Local TV should simply be free. Your cable or DBS provider of chocie should have the freedom to retransmit any signal receivable in a local area, without paying anyone anything.

I am one of the lucky ones. The "DMA" I am in (Greensboro NC) is weird shaped and I live in one of the counties that sticks out into another DMA (Raleigh NC). OTA, I reliably receive Fox, CW, Ion, and CBS (ABC, TCT, and My are hit-or-miss and PBS and NBC are no-go's) for my "home" DMA but receive ALL of the other DMA's channels reliably OTA. With the help of an AM21 and "moving" to a county in the southern end of my "home" DMA which gets the ABC from Charlotte NC courtesy of SV, I have channels from 3 DMA's. With effort and a 2nd antenna, and if the AM21 was able to add channels from a 3rd DMA, I could also add Roanoke VA to the list, but I don't want to be greedy...

Actually it is Reason #1, and no other reason is needed, as to why the Fortnightly case was rightly decided by the Supreme Court, and how Congress messed up by changing the law.

Local TV should simply be free. Your cable or DBS provider of chocie should have the freedom to retransmit any signal receivable in a local area, without paying anyone anything.

Soooo true. Further, any area in the DMA not receiving an OTA signal should be eligible for a Distant channel if they want, as it used to be. (Satellite can not give a Distant channel anywhere in the DMA if they carry the DMA network.)

ejb1980 said:
Reason Number 47,234 why EVERYONE should be able to subscribe to the DNS channels. If some of the crappy locals out there had some competition, maybe they wouldn't be so awful. People shouldn't be "punished" for where they live. If they subscribe to TV, they should be able to subscribe to a channel that someone else gets - in HD - a county or two away. Also for those who have an affiliate of a network that looks like it was put together by a low-budget highschool AV club.

I totally agree on this...stupid FCC...grr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)