DirecTv SWn installation help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

defender007

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 9, 2009
Here
I just got my equipment and a friend's and needed help on wiring the whole thing. I have two swm 5lnb slimlines, 2 PI-21's and 2 SWS8 splitters. Now at one house there's a HR23 and in mine I have a HR23 and a R22. How do I proceed to wire these up? Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm used to DISH installs.

Assuming these are just 2 distinct installs, you don't even need the splitters. One RG6 will carry 2 tuners.

The 2-second-hook up:

LNB --> PI (inside, and not terribly far away) --> Port marked FTM or SWM on the HR23 or R22.

the swm lnb is powered like the dish lnb, to peak it, you must have the pi plugged in , and then run to the dish , the recievers cannot be plugged in ,
75 ohm term on the one splitter, the first one box install only needs the pi

just wire it like you would cable tv, you do a few things
for the one tv setup
Code:
IRD --> PI (behind tv or where a future splitter may go) --> LNB
or
IRD --> PI --> Splitter red port to IRD --> Splitter red port to SWM --> LNB
or
IRD --> Splitter any port --> Splitter red port to SWM --> PI --> LNB
for the two tv setup
Code:
IRD1 --> PI --> Splitter Red port to IRD --- > Splitter Red port to SWM --> LNB
IRD2 --> Splitter any port
or
IRD1--> Splitter any port
Splitter red port to SWM --> PI --> LNB

just wire it like you would cable tv, you do a few things
for the one tv setup
Code:
IRD --> PI (behind tv or where a future splitter may go) --> LNB
or
IRD --> PI --> Splitter red port to IRD --> Splitter red port to SWM --> LNB
or
IRD --> Splitter any port --> Splitter red port to SWM --> PI --> LNB
for the two tv setup
Code:
IRD1 --> PI --> Splitter Red port to IRD --- > Splitter Red port to SWM --> LNB
or
IRD1--> Splitter any port
Splitter red port to SWM --> PI --> LNB

So just to understand for the 2 tv setup:

TV1: LNB --> PI --> red SWM port --> red pass thru --> ird
TV2: splitter any port --> ird

Is this correct?

Also, I will be installing the dish on my shed in my backyard and have the wires go inside and the PI in there along with the splitter since I have underground wires going into the house and wanted to use them. My question is the PI sensitive to cold? It gets cold up here in winter and was wondering if it would be a problem. How do I hook up the dish to my birdog so I can find the signal?

So just to understand for the 2 tv setup:

TV1: LNB --> PI --> red SWM port --> red pass thru --> ird
TV2: splitter any port --> ird

Is this correct?

Also, I will be installing the dish on my shed in my backyard and have the wires go inside and the PI in there along with the splitter since I have underground wires going into the house and wanted to use them. My question is the PI sensitive to cold? It gets cold up here in winter and was wondering if it would be a problem. How do I hook up the dish to my birdog so I can find the signal?
Yes you can do it that way, if you put the PI is between the LNB and the splitter it doesnt matter what port the receivers are on as long as the line from the LNB goes into the port that says TO SWM
it shouldnt be sensitive to cold (unless its extreme), just keep it dry
if you have the newer birdog that supports SWM you can tune it with a power passing splitter passing power from the PI and the other side reading the SWM to the birdog, if you don't you will need whats called an ASL (or get a regular Ka/Ku lnb tune it with that and then swap it out (heheheh)

I have a 3.0USB, is that compatible? How do I use a reg LNB on the slimline? Sorry for all the stupid questions

I think SWM support starts with the 4.0's, what i mean by the other LNB is a regular Slimline LNB not the SWM, if you have one or have access to one you can point the dish like that and then swap the LNB, if not, you will need to get whats called an ASL

from birdog site:
To align the integrated SWM LNBs (SL5S or SL3S) with a Birdog meter, you must
use a single port power passing splitter, rated at least 2mHz to 2150mHz, or you
can use the DTV ASL tool. Connect the SWM power inserter to the power
passing port of the splitter/ASL, connect the Birdog to the non-power passing port.

Single port power passing splitter? So I can use the 8way?

Something other than an 8 port splitter would be in order for a two receiver install. DIRECTV offers a four port model that would be better.

Self-installing is overrated.

Well if dtv installed in Canada I would let them do it. Besides, I install bell for a living. So all I do is add the SVM files to my birdog and I can point this sucker? So the birdog plugs in after the PI, like this LNB I» PI -» Birdog, correct?

Something other than an 8 port splitter would be in order for a two receiver install. DIRECTV offers a four port model that would be better.

Self-installing is overrated.

Excume me Mr. Boy Scout. I'm using my US address and phone number to get service. Its not like I'm stealing it. If you can't help, don't post

If it were legal to receive DIRECTV in Canada, I might consider helping you. As such, I'm disinclined.

Not sure how far north you actually are but with an absolute plumb mount (the most important part of the install) you should be able to eyeball the whole setup. Having all the meters are great; should be easy once the PI is connected & the receivers all unplugged. As long as you pay for the service like the rest of us, most here could care less. If Canada is anything like other banned countries, it would not hurt to purchase a cover for your new toy depending on the mount type. You can also paint everything except the LNB & Caps.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)