Directv through Condo association?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jk0723

Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
My sister lives in a condo that provides Directv service as part of the association fee (i think). She bought an HDTV set a couple weeks ago so now she's looking into getting an HD receiver or HD DVR preferably. What I don't know, is how that works exactly. Would HD programming be something extra not already included? I've seen the posts where people have gotten the HD DVR for $199 after rebate by calling retention, but I don't know if that would be possible when your account is through an association. Do people still have individual directv accounts?

The Directv website doesn't seem to have any information on this kind of thing so I'm not sure where to find out exactly what her situation is. I've never really dealt with directv or through an association before. Anyone here get there Directv through a multi-unit association like that and if so how hdtv/dvr would work?

Thanks.

I think the main thing she should be concerned about is if the system the condo has set up is able to recieve HD at all. Hope she checked before buying the HDTV cause your post just mentions "Directv service". I personally don't know how the Acct. would be set up but I wonder if the Asso. acct is flexable enough for each tenant to subscribe to different packages. Hope so but I have no clue as to how that would work but I'm sure someone in here will shed some light on the subject. Good luck.---Ray

There's different kinds of DTV service at condos. Some are like regular cable in that there's a cable headend where a limited number of Direct channels are received and transformed into regular cable channels. The other is where all the Direct channels are sent down the cable and each tennant has a direct receiver and chooses what DTV package to subscribe to. If your sister has a Direct TV receiver in order to get premium service she has a fighting chance, if she just plugs her tv into a cable jack and gets Direct channels it's unlikely she will get HDTV unless there's been a very recent upgrade to her cable system. If she lives say 25 miles or less to the transmitters she might be happy with an indoor antenna to receive HDTV. If you go to http://antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx and enter her zipcode you can get an idea if an indoor antenna will bring in HDTV. A great indoor UHF indoor antenna is a Zenith Silver Sensor. Google will find them online for around $20.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)