DirecTV tips

Status
Please reply by conversation.

enricong

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
I use to have DirecTV but switched to comcast because I moved to an apartment facing the wrong way. I will be moving again to one with a SW view so I should be able to get DirecTV. I actually wanted to get Dish so I could get R5000 but it looks like I will be blocked. The apartment building does not allow dishes to be attached to walls but I have seen people have them on poles attached somehow.

I will likely get the Choice Extra with HD DVR service. I actually currently only have an SD TV. I plan to get an HDTV after I move. I know DirecTV does not have multi-TV receivers, but can I connect an SD and HD TV to the same receiver. I don't need to be able to watch different shows on each TV. I currently watch OTA HDTV on my computer screen.

Are there any deals out there other than what DirecTV has on their site? I saw the Plasma concepts $100 deal however I move in 3/14 and it says that ends the week before. Any tips for what to ask for when I order, or should I expect them to provide me with everything I need.

Yes, all of the outputs on the HD DVRs are active. You can connect an SD TV to the composite outputs. There's no RF out, so if you have a TV that only has coax in, you'll need an RF modulator from walmart/radioshack/etc.

For the $100 off deal, just order it now and schedule the installation in the future. AFAIK the pricing is based on your order date, not the install date.

ok. The thread says "3 months of free HD access". However, I don't seem to see the "3 months of free HD access" All I see is the $23 credit and the 3mo HBO.

Choice Extra with HD DVR is $72.99. So (Choice Extra 57.99 + HD $10.00 + DVR $5.00)
$23 credit for 12mo = $49.99 for 12mo then $72.99 last 12mo

Since I once had DirecTV, should I try to reactivate that account, or just create a new one?

Reopen your account

From past experience, I would think they'd be glad to have you back as a subscriber. In fact, if you get a friendly csr, they'd probably give you the moon (in HD, of course). I'm a former Dish subscriber and they have tried to get me back with some pretty nice perks over he past eight years, but I'm more than happy with D*.

From past experience, I would think they'd be glad to have you back as a subscriber. In fact, if you get a friendly csr, they'd probably give you the moon (in HD, of course). I'm a former Dish subscriber and they have tried to get me back with some pretty nice perks over he past eight years, but I'm more than happy with D*.

Hmm, would you suggest I just try calling them up and seeing what they can offer me? I guess worst case, I can turn them down and go with the $100 off offer.

for an apartment you need a tripod just Google direct tv tripod dish you'll find lots starting at around $15

I use to have DirecTV but switched to comcast because I moved to an apartment facing the wrong way. I will be moving again to one with a SW view so I should be able to get DirecTV. I actually wanted to get Dish so I could get R5000 but it looks like I will be blocked. The apartment building does not allow dishes to be attached to walls but I have seen people have them on poles attached somehow.

I will likely get the Choice Extra with HD DVR service. I actually currently only have an SD TV. I plan to get an HDTV after I move. I know DirecTV does not have multi-TV receivers, but can I connect an SD and HD TV to the same receiver. I don't need to be able to watch different shows on each TV. I currently watch OTA HDTV on my computer screen.

Are there any deals out there other than what DirecTV has on their site? I saw the Plasma concepts $100 deal however I move in 3/14 and it says that ends the week before. Any tips for what to ask for when I order, or should I expect them to provide me with everything I need.

This is the deal i get!! PLUS HD DVR LOCALS included 72.99
I get showtime free for one year!

01/20 02/19 PLUS HD DVR Monthly 72.99
01/20 02/19 DIRECTV on DEMAND Tune to Ch. 1000 for more info 0.00
01/20 02/19 DIRECTV DVR Service $5.99/mo Included in Base Pkg 0.00
01/20 02/19 HBO, STARZ!, and SHOWTIME Monthly 35.00
01/21 Leased Receiver 4.99

01/21 Primary Leased Receiver -4.99 Credit
01/18 HD Access Free for 3 months -9.99 Credit
01/18 HBO/STARZ/SHOW for 3 Mos -35.00 Credit
01/18 12 Month Redemption -18.00 Credit 01/21 Primary Leased Receiver -4.99 Credit

AMOUNT DUE$53.98

This is the deal i get!! PLUS HD DVR LOCALS included 72.99
I get showtime free for one year!

01/20 02/19 PLUS HD DVR Monthly 72.99
01/20 02/19 DIRECTV on DEMAND Tune to Ch. 1000 for more info 0.00
01/20 02/19 DIRECTV DVR Service $5.99/mo Included in Base Pkg 0.00
01/20 02/19 HBO, STARZ!, and SHOWTIME Monthly 35.00

01/21 Primary Leased Receiver -4.99 Credit
01/18 HD Access Free for 3 months -9.99 Credit
01/18 HBO/STARZ/SHOW for 3 Mos -35.00 Credit
01/18 12 Month Redemption -18.00 Credit 01/21 Primary Leased Receiver -4.99 Credit

AMOUNT DUE$53.98

This is what you got with the plasma concepts offer?
I guess they gave you two receivers for free?

for an apartment you need a tripod just Google direct tv tripod dish you'll find lots starting at around $15

What do I need the tripod for? I wont be provided with what I need with the "free professional installation"??

This is what you got with the plasma concepts offer?
I guess they gave you two receivers for free?

What do I need the tripod for? I wont be provided with what I need with the "free professional installation"??
For my Dish install, the guy used the railing on my balcony and put it on a standard clamp, which didn't cost me.

For my Dish install, the guy used the railing on my balcony and put it on a standard clamp, which didn't cost me.

I see several dishes around my complex. some are on tripods, some are tied to railings. Eitherway I would expect to not have to pay for anything if they offer "free professional installation". Its not like I'm asking the guy to climb up on the roof or wire outlets.

Although, I plan to put my current non-HD tv in my bedroom. I'm not sure if I will just use one of the outputs or get another receiver. If I did get another receiver, will the installer run a cable over to my bedroom at no cost? I probably have enough coax laying around but my connectors are the screw on kind. They may also be using better shielded coax. If I can get them to do it, I might as well get the receiver, I can always cancel it later if I don't want it I guess. I assume the 2nd receiver doesnt count towards the 24mo commitment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts