DIRECTV to Air 2nd NASCAR Race In 4K

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
DIRECTV has revealed at its web site that in May it will air a second NASCAR race in 4K.

The satcaster announced earlier this month that it would offer the Monster Energy Cup race from Martinsville Speedway in Ridgeway, Virginia on April 2, starting at 2 p.m. ET. That will mark the first NASCAR race ever broadcast in 4K.

And now DIRECTV says it will offer the Monster Energy Cup ‘Go Bowling 400’ race from Kansas Speedway in Kansas City in 4K on Saturday, May 13. (Start time to be announced later, but the race will be held at night.)

Both races will be offered on DIRECTV’s dedicated live 4k channel, which is channel 106.

https://tvanswerman.com/2017/03/18/directv-to-air-2nd-nascar-race-in-4k/

Reactions: Jimbo and rad
While it's nice seeing the increase in live 4K programming I wonder how going forward they're going to handle the loss of advertisement revenue? Watching last weeks NBA game when there was a break for ad's we didn't get any, just an feed from the arena. For an NF game, unless it's on a cable network, would the local stations allow the NFL to show a game on the 4K channel?

While it's nice seeing the increase in live 4K programming I wonder how going forward they're going to handle the loss of advertisement revenue? Watching last weeks NBA game when there was a break for ad's we didn't get any, just an feed from the arena. For an NF game, unless it's on a cable network, would the local stations allow the NFL to show a game on the 4K channel?

Eventually, we will see channels like FOX Sports One and HBO go dedicated 4K. Once that happens, the revenue will come. Some programs like Planet Earth have had commercials for them in 4K. I have seen MLB games have commercials in 1080I upscaled to 4K when MLB Network airs them. Some have been feeds from the truck.

I hope we start to see more 4K programming soon. This seems like an early dabble in 4K like what happened with HD before everyone adopted HD back in the day. So far from what I have seen the interest in 4K is there. Hell, I just bought my 2nd 4K set for 400 bucks for the kids room. (50 inch Samsung w/ HDR). Best Buy just had a 40 inch model for the same price and sold out over the weekend. Prices are coming down and when the deals are announced, they go quick.

4K will come along slowly but you can count on sports being the straw that stirs the 4K drink. Nature shows are nice but the advertising from sports, like The Masters will grab some attention. If they show The Super Bowl in 4K then the snowball will start to roll.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)