Status
Please reply by conversation.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
Just saw this while watching the Puppy Bowl. I haven’t seen anything announced prior to this.
IMG_0363.JPG

But the Ultimate package is required. I would rather it be Pay Per View than have to upgrade my package.

Where does it mention that ?

The Ultimate package was required in the beginning, but hasn't been required for 4k in quite some time now.

XXIII Olympic Winter Games PyeongChang DIRECTV 4K Viewing

Note: Limited programming available. 4K programming requires a Genie HD DVR (model HR54 or above) and a DIRECTV 4K Ready TV, or a 4K TV connected to a 4K Genie Mini. Additional & Advanced Receiver fees apply. 4K HDR compatible equipment is required to watch content in 4K HDR, minimum programming. If 4K TV does not support HDR, games will be viewable in standard 4K. ULTIMATE Package or higher, 4K account authorization and professional installation required.

XXIII Olympic Winter Games PyeongChang DIRECTV 4K Viewing

Note: Limited programming available. 4K programming requires a Genie HD DVR (model HR54 or above) and a DIRECTV 4K Ready TV, or a 4K TV connected to a 4K Genie Mini. Additional & Advanced Receiver fees apply. 4K HDR compatible equipment is required to watch content in 4K HDR, minimum programming. If 4K TV does not support HDR, games will be viewable in standard 4K. ULTIMATE Package or higher, 4K account authorization and professional installation required.
When was the Note part written, recently or was it copied and pasted from the old info ?

Well, this info didn't help in my question, but it did say that the 4k coverage on NBC would be 24 hours delayed ... what kinda crap is that ?

DIRECTV to Carry 2018 Winter Olympics In 4K - The TV Answer Man!

I see in the forum where it was mentioned that the Ultimate package was required, I'm wondering if that was in error as they did away with that awhile back .....
I'm sure a lot of the 4k users will be pissed if that IS the situation.
Well see.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
I just called Directv Customer Support. The representative told me there is no Ultimate Package requirement. I told him about the ATT Customer Support post to the ATT Forum and he said it was an error. It is being escalated to correct it.

4K (down converted from 8K feeds), HLG HDR, and Atmos. I hope that Directv is going to include all that NBC is making available.

Blogs | Sports Video Group

“We are taking the 8K feeds with HDR from NHK and downconverting them to 4K in the HLG [format]. We have a couple of circuits going home to route the signals to Mobile TV Group’s Flex 39 truck, which is in Stamford. It receives the two feeds, and we have two announce booths in Stamford.”

The Dolby Atmos experience, which adds a more immersive sound field by adding in channels that deliver audio from above and more positions than the traditional 5.1-channel setup, will make use of additional microphones.

“OBS was kind enough to put out some height mics,” says Mazza. “We will send those home along with the 5.1 channels for a 10-channel mix that can be fed into the Atmos encoders.”

On channel 106 now in HLG HDR and Atmos.

HR54 Genie and C61K 4K client.
C61K -> Denon x6400h -> LG OLED B7A.

My LG reports HLG HDR.
My Denon AVR reports Dolby Atmos.
Signal format is 4K60 4:2:0 BT.2020 12-bit.
C61K Audio Settings for Dolby Audio reports Dolby Digital Plus / Dolby Atmos (Auto-Detected)

On channel 106 now in HLG HDR and Atmos.

HR54 Genie and C61K 4K client.
C61K -> Denon x6400h -> LG OLED B7A.

My LG reports HLG HDR.
My Denon AVR reports Dolby Atmos.
Signal format is 4K60 4:2:0 BT.2020 12-bit.
C61K Audio Settings for Dolby Audio reports Dolby Digital Plus / Dolby Atmos (Auto-Detected)
Soooooo ... are you watching it ?
Anything worthwhile on ?

Atmos audio was a bust for the opening ceremony rebroadcast. At least until I disconnected my center channel speaker and turned up the volume to reference level. Otherwise all you can hear are the NBC talking heads.

Just saw a Comcast commercial advertising Xfiniti 4K during the Olympics. I was unaware Comcast had any 4K ability.

Well they are offering it on-demand only, but it's most likely on a 24 hour delay just like DTV. So really watching on DTV is no different as it's a playback in 4K and not a truly live broadcast. I am guessing it's the same old thing we deal with sports blackouts, can't have a national broadcast without local commercials.

Pure old school crap that has yet to change when advertising $ are involved , how many folks want to watch a delayed Olympics aside from enjoying the increased quality? Once that wears off how will the viewership stand?

Here is the info for Comcast / Xfinity

Ways to Watch the Winter Olympics in 4K UHD with X1

Reactions: whitewolf8214
NBC paid a ton of money to carry the Olympics. To watch live you need to watch ads. Just be thankful that the ad free delayed UHD is available at all.

...Pure old school crap that has yet to change when advertising $ are involved , how many folks want to watch a delayed Olympics aside from enjoying the increased quality? Once that wears off how will the viewership stand?...

Reactions: longhorn23
NBC paid a ton of money to carry the Olympics. To watch live you need to watch ads. Just be thankful that the ad free delayed UHD is available at all.
I am thankful, don't get my post wrong, I was just wishing they were simulcast that's all.

I just wish NBC would not tape delay anything. Found out Red won gold 15 minutes before NBC aired it.

Reactions: Jimbo
Why is the 4K Olympics on DIRECTV so limited? DISH is airing them 24/7 which DIRECTV does not start showing them in 4K until 2 in the afternoon.

Does anyone know on a Samsung TV using RVU how you can tell if you are watching in HDR or not? If I hit the info button it jut pulls up the DIRECTV info screen.

Dish is offering the 4k Olympics also staring at 2PM. The feeds are the same. Neither Dish nor DirecTV has any control over it.

New episodes are shown starting at 2PM EST; replays continue on Dish until 2PM next day.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)