DirecTV to get Sunday Ticket until 2010

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ken

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
NFL gave DirecTV the Sunday Ticket package for another 5 years, it cost D $3.5 Billion.

It means no one else can have the NFL sunday ticket - no DISH, no VOOM, no cable.

just weird cause bell and sc have sunday ticket
they also say nascar in car only available on digital cable, but bell offers this as well, and with dish and bell being very similar, why would say dishnetwork canada get it and not dishnetwork usa? weird

i guess we could argue bout that all day things don't make sense with nfl
tv rights dtv bell and sc
radio rights sirius available on dishnetwork
why give 1 radio and the other tv rights why not give all providers access to your programming?

Because the NFL is a business and there is more money in exclusivity, making it more appealing for all parties involved. DTV gets subs based on their posession of it, and NFL gets more money just to keep it exclusive.

bell and sc? I know that SBC and Qwest can offer Sunday ticket - since the service (TV) is provided by D*

I'm just not too sure who bell and sc are

The NFL has a grandfathered clause that allows them to be exclusive without having to use fiber so that is number one. Secondly cable and sat companies in Canada can get NFL Sunday Ticket because they go by different laws than the USA does.

Also I don't always agree that making it exclusive is a good thing because I think the NFL would be better off but I can see what the issue is. First off its quite a bit of money for the NFL and the broadcasters don't want all providers to have the NFL Sunday Ticket because that would greatly hurt their advertising even if customers watch it on their local stations. People will not watch ads but will switch to other games going on. So by keeping it with DirecTv only they can get more money to offset the loss even with more customers. Now that isn't whats best for the consumers but I can see why this is so. If the NFL ST became available on all providers it could hurt local stations so much that they could start taking huge losses on it and as such it could very well go to a PPV only system so even those with cable or satellite couldn't get one free game without paying money for it.

So at least die hard fans can get the NFL Sunday Ticket package while everyone else can still get free games with what they have. This is a balance issue and its not as onesided as people may think. Making it availble to everyone does have impacts on other things.

I think it kinda sucks..........They won't add the networks FOX HD now. I hope they do, if so I have no need for ST

I don't know who is moving this thread but FYI this doe's not just affect D customers. In fact one of you thinks its so important that you have it on the satelliteguys home page under another author (if I broke the news last then excuse me but I don't think so).

According to the timestamps the other thread was posted five hours earlier than this thred.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts