DirecTV to Launch Significantly Viewed DMA service

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Brewer4 said:
The other burning question, will this have any impact on Blackouts (sports come to mind) to either the significantly viewed channels or the ones in the primary DMA?

RSN's and networks are different. Your RSN wouldn't change for this...

However - network sports are in play. For example:

I live in Fairfield County. On an NFL Sunday, adding WFSB (for example) would get me Pats games where I am. No blackouts. This would also open me up for the national doubleheader, if applicable, as NY tends to be blacked out more due to the rights overlapping for 2 teams.

Iceberg said:
per SHVERA, only the Big 4 (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) are eligible

You sure about this? Wouldn't it be the SV list that predicts what is coming? If I can't get WTXX (CT's WB affiliate), especially seeing as it's on my county's SV list, this is a BIG downer for me.

Brewer4 said:
Here's the real important question. When D* goes HD LIL with MPEG4, will the HD network channels follow as well or does this stuff only apply to SD channels?

I'm also interested in this :)

hancox said:
You sure about this? Wouldn't it be the SV list that predicts what is coming?
That's my understanding. Of course, only WTNH (ABC 8) and WTXX (WB 20) are on the Fairfield County SV list, not WFSB (CBS 3).

Maphisto's Sidekick said:
No chance of New York. SV allows some folks to get some locals from neighboring markets, and the last time I checked, New York isn't a neighbor of L.A. :)

Potential additions would be:

Inyo County: KOLO 8, Reno

Eastern Riverside County: KTVK 3, KPHO 5, KSAZ 10, KPNX 12 all from Phoenix, and KYMA 11, Yuma

...and some Los Angeles locals could potentially be made available in other nearby counties.

Thank-you! Maphisto. I'm going to look up each one of those stations just out of curiousity. BTW, you wouldn't happen to be the father of Eric Cartman? ;) :D

I'd hope a UPN station will be available to DIRECTV subscribers in the Duluth/Superior area sometime in 2006?

I live in Baton Rouge, LA and it shows that we will get Jackson, MS ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS. We are already getting the Jackson NBC, CBS, and PBS. I thought this was because of the recent hurricanes and all the displaced people, but know I see why it is happening. Will Baton Rouge not get the Jackson FOX since it is not listed and will the ABC come in November since it is not working yet?

bradhasbrouck said:
I'd hope a UPN station will be available to DIRECTV subscribers in the Duluth/Superior area sometime in 2006?

all they need to do is sign an agreement with KBJR since they own it :)
Since its a digital channel, it doesnt qualify for must carry but Dish/Direct could carry it at any time :D

Simple question

Are the new locals over satellite or antenna?

If they are on Satellite, Will a SV north of Detroit will be added the entire DMA?

Example Toledo Stations will be added for viewers in Dearborn and Ann Arbor Stations could be added for viewers on the Ohio border.

Kentstater72 said:
Are the new locals over satellite or antenna?

If they are on Satellite, Will a SV north of Detroit will be added the entire DMA?

Example Toledo Stations will be added for viewers in Dearborn and Ann Arbor Stations could be added for viewers on the Ohio border.
The SV provision of SHIVERA allows DBS operators to offer certain out-of-market locals via satellite in the generally the same manner that they are today allowed to offer locals.

The catch is that the list of which out-of-market stations may be delivered is governed by a list of SV stations published by the FCC.

For Dearborn (Wayne County), no Toledo stations appear on the SV list. So, D* can still only offer just the Detroit locals to Dearborn subscribers.

However, in Monroe County, WTOL (CBS 11), WTVG (ABC 13), WNWO (NBC 24), and WUPW (Fox 36) are on the SV list, so D* has the option of delivering those stations via satellite to subscribers in that county in addition to the Detroit locals.

I live in Eau Claire Wisconsin and the cable company carries Mpls/St. Paul Locals. Does this mean Dave will now carry these locals with this new thing? and it would be sweet if they also carry the HD channels when they come to fruition.

can someone look and see what I would get for zip code 18042?? Im out of the philly market, but when i had cable i got philly and NYC??

Joewee said:
I live in Eau Claire Wisconsin and the cable company carries Mpls/St. Paul Locals. Does this mean Dave will now carry these locals with this new thing? and it would be sweet if they also carry the HD channels when they come to fruition.

Look up your county on here. Cable offers you channels dependent on where their headend is located and not where you are located. They also have the ability to carry channels that may not be available where you are located.

For instance, in my county, cable (MediaCom) carries WCTV (CBS) from the Thomasville, GA/Tallahassee, FL DMA and WSB (ABC) from the Atlanta, GA DMA, along with WRBL (CBS) and WTVM (ABC) from the Columbus, GA DMA, but according to this list, satellite (Dish offers LIL, but not DirecTV) can only offer me (if DirecTV were to start offering LIL) WRBL (CBS) and WTVM (ABC). Hence the reason why it's best to check the list! :)

~Alan

Mine shows an Abc affiliate (who previously owned the local translator, and purchased the Station originally) from El Paso, Texas and the Same for Nbc from Lubbock, Texas... I liked them better than the current all Albuqurque(300 miles to the north) lineup...

Please excuse my ignorance on this subject. Is this for the over satellite "locals" that are spot beamed to certain areas? I live eight miles outside the coverage area to get the Chicago locals. The city I live near does not have a WB or UPN station. Yet their ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX stations went on Dish and DirecTV last summer. My "local" WB station had their tower blow down over a year ago and I can't get them over the air. UPN is non existent. Thus if I wanted to get the locals via satellite I'd get four more stations for $6/month. If I lived eight miles closer to Chicago I'd get a dozen or more of the Chicago stations.

Does this mean I can say I want the Chiacago locals and get them over satellite?

It worked great as I could get ABC and sometimes CBS on the C-Band and for a long time NBC and FOX. FTA DVB opened up a whole lot more of all of these plus the UPN and WB stations. While this is good, I'd still like the Chicago stations. Any ideas?

Kentstater72 said:
Mine shows no real gain exept for the Canadian station in Windsor.
O well I'll get to see reruns of the Red Green show.

As I said in my earlier post, DirecTV still doesn't serve me with locals, so the ability to get my OWN locals, plus the ABC and CBS from Columbus (we don't have an ABC or CBS in our DMA) as well as a "regional" WB would make me happy.

However, I still think it sucks that the satellite companies can't offer WCTV or WSB to my county even though cable carries it here.

~Alan

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts