DirecTV to Launch Significantly Viewed DMA service

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
The SV List splits Solano County (just east of San Francisco) into two areas, east and west. Here a list of stations for those locations:

Solano East
KCRA-TV, 3, Sacramento, CA
KXTV, 10, Sacramento, CA
KOVR, 13, Stockton, CA
+KMAX-TV, 31, Sacramento, CA (formerly KRBK)
KTXL, 40, Sacramento, CA
+KQCA, 58, Stockton, CA (formerly KSCH)
KTVU, 2, Oakland, CA
KRON-TV, 4, San Francisco, CA
KPIX-TV, 5, San Francisco, CA
KGO-TV, 7, San Francisco, CA

Solano West
KTVU, 2, Oakland, CA
KRON-TV, 4, San Francisco, CA
KPIX-TV, 5, San Francisco, CA
KGO-TV, 7, San Francisco, CA

The way it looks I will pick up KTVU-2, KRON-4, KPIX-5 and KGO-7. I sure would have liked to have picked up Channel 36 out of San Jose as they carry alot of Oakland A's games which I can not get otherwise. It will be interesting to see which channels we will actually see...

carwashguy said:
I live in Baton Rouge, LA and it shows that we will get Jackson, MS ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS. We are already getting the Jackson NBC, CBS, and PBS. I thought this was because of the recent hurricanes and all the displaced people, but know I see why it is happening. Will Baton Rouge not get the Jackson FOX since it is not listed and will the ABC come in November since it is not working yet?

Significantly viewed is the reason for receiving these Jackson channels. Amite and Wilkinson counties were all but named in a specific portion of the SHVERA act that gives us the SV channels.

The reason that the Jackson FOX won't be added is because it is does not hold 3% of the total viewership in Amite and Wilkinson counties. In all likelihood FOX 44 Baton Rouge does. Although not in the original list, WAPT ABC 16 in Jackson may have proved 3% viewership there.

Also, keep in mind that WUFX FOX35 Jackson does not broadcast in MTS stereo. If you have a home theater system, it doesn't sound as good as a FOX station with stereo. Having said that, I am not sure if WGMB FOX44 does or not.

carwashguy, if you have or knows someone who actually has access to the dealer site, could you look up zip 38922 and see which of the Memphis locals that Coffeeville, MS is getting (for my mother). I am sure about the following:

WREG CBS3 Memphis
WMC NBC5 Memphis
WHBQ FOX13 Memphis
WABG ABC6 Greenville, MS (not available throught DirecTV yet)

I am wondering if WPTY ABC24 or WLMT UPN30 will get added to that list.

Kentstater72 said:
Mine shows no real gain exept for the Canadian station in Windsor.

And even then, D* doesn't have to carry it. I'd be surprised if they did start carrying Canadian-based stations.

jollyrgr said:
Please excuse my ignorance on this subject. Is this for the over satellite "locals" that are spot beamed to certain areas?

Yes. SHIVERA gives D* and E* the option of delivering some out-of-market stations if they're already providing LIL.

jollyrgr said:
I live eight miles outside the coverage area to get the Chicago locals.[...]Does this mean I can say I want the Chiacago locals and get them over satellite?

Maybe. It depends on which county you're in, which Chicago stations the FCC says are SV in your county, and whether D* decides to offer all of them. (I'm curious about that since E* hasn't been offering everything the SV list allows them to, at least where they've rolled out SV).

Kentstater72 said:
Mine shows no real gain exept for the Canadian station in Windsor.
O well I'll get to see reruns of the Red Green show.
Actually, if they did manage to get you CBC, you'd get first run episodes of Red Green :D

moonman said:
It's not populated yet...keep checking back often here........
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/SvChannels.do
:)
(note from Scott - this is where consumers will be able to check channels available, I dont expect it to be active until late October)

The SV lookup page was taken down from the D* website (or moved) overnight, as have several other pages.

I assume this is a sign that the dealer site is being updated...?

Could any kind dealer poke around and share what's in store for some of the locales mentioned earlier (e.g., 03431, 06460, 08829, 11978, 18042, 21403, 54703)? :D

moonman said:
It's not populated yet...keep checking back often here........

:)
(note from Scott - this is where consumers will be able to check channels available, I dont expect it to be active until late October)

the url in message posted by moonman been change by directv change the .do to .jsp

Yippee! Looks like I'll finally get the NY stations I lost when I switched from cable many moons ago (based on the PDF someone posted). No luck on the D* site yet, though. Looks like it's still unpopulated.

Is this still scheduled to go into effect on 11/9?

Another question: will this affect sports subscriptions? Right now I'm technically considered Philly market, even though I'm directly between NY and Philly. This means Yankee games are blacked out on Yes. Will that continue, or will I now be privy to some sort of quasi-NY status?

Maphisto's Sidekick said:
The SV lookup page was taken down from the D* website (or moved) overnight, as have several other pages.

I assume this is a sign that the dealer site is being updated...?

Could any kind dealer poke around and share what's in store for some of the locales mentioned earlier (e.g., 03431, 06460, 08829, 11978, 18042, 21403, 54703)? :D

Maphisto's
on that link that moonman posted just change the end extention from .do to .jsp and the page come backup

I'm just hoping over the last year there have been a lot of changes to the original documents I saw. For example we're in Northwest Indiana, half way between Chicago and South Bend. It appeared a year ago we would not get the South Bend stations here in Porter County. What's really aggravating about that is that I'm a Colt's fan and South Bend has the Colts games. We don't get them via Chicago.

All of the cable systems in this county and even the next county closer to Chicago (Lake, Indiana) provide most of the South Bend stations and have for years. So with cable, people get the South Bend market stations but with DirecTV I'm betting we won't get them.

I do realize it's not DirecTV's decision but they need to fight for us on the borders like that. I like to watch my local news in Indiana, not Chicago news. Mileage puts us slightly closer to Chicago but with a decent antenna I can get all of the South Bend stations. But through the antenna I can't Tivo stuff, it's of course not as clear but acceptable.

One of the reasons some people won't switch to DirecTV in my area (my dad included) is that they would loose the South Bend stations they watch so much.

Oh well I'll get off my soap box and wait to see what happens. I think the rules should be equal. If DirecTV and DISH are not allowed to offer then, the cable system should be forced to pull them as well. That would get some people up in arms.

crowe1130 said:
Yippee! Looks like I'll finally get the NY stations I lost when I switched from cable many moons ago (based on the PDF someone posted). No luck on the D* site yet, though. Looks like it's still unpopulated.

Is this still scheduled to go into effect on 11/9?

Another question: will this affect sports subscriptions? Right now I'm technically considered Philly market, even though I'm directly between NY and Philly. This means Yankee games are blacked out on Yes. Will that continue, or will I now be privy to some sort of quasi-NY status?

RSN's aren't in play here. Networks only.

Fgsilva said:
but it still doesn't list anything at this point, at least for my area (and a few others I have tried to check). anybody got anything for their area at this point?

i don`t belive they got that site active yet. when i check for my area it don`t show anything yet either.

I've posted before about my frustrations over locals... And I tried to read through this thread, but apparently I'm pretty dense when it comes to this stuff.

Can anyone explain to me, in 1st grade English (heh!), what all of this means?

I'm currently recieving DMA because D* doesn't carry the Erie, PA channels. Checking out the link above, though, it says that Warren County, PA has a SVC of Erie plus WGRZ, WIVB and WKBW from Buffalo (which is what I wanted in the first place). Does this mean I'll start recieving my beloved Buffalo channels?

If so, just like a 1st grader, I'm going to start drooling all over myself!

Thanks for the help, by the way.

warrenpa said:
Can anyone explain to me, in 1st grade English (heh!), what all of this means?

Short Summary: For people between two major metropolitan areas, they might now be able to get channels from both of those cities, not just one.

Longer Version: In the past DirecTV has been limited by law, not by their choice to serve only a single set of local channels to subscribers. In other words I live in the Chicago television market and that's all they can give me are Chicago locals.

But I don't really live in Chicago. I live outside of Chicago between Chicago and South Bend Indiana. With an decent antenna I can receive both Chicago and South Bend (Elkhart) stations. To make things worse (for customers and DirecTV) cable systems in my area ever since they started service have been offering both Chicago and South Bend channels to the subscribers all across the area. The term "Significantly Viewed" derives from that. The South Bend Channels are "significantly viewed" by antenna and cable in my area. With South Bend we get Indiana news, not Chicago, Notre Dame football, Indy Colts football etc...

In areas like mine DirecTV will now be allowed to give the customer two and in some cases even 3 markets of local channels.

I hope I didn't go over board with an explanation there but that's basically what it means.

This is a fantastic plus for DirecTV since this has been one area they couldn't compete with local cable systems on a fair basis. Cable always had an advantage in this area. In fact I have the very basic cable package to get the South Bend stations. Hopefully I'll be able to get South Bend soon off of DirecTV. Unfortunately the first maps I saw of this last year had the area DirecTV could offer South Bend stations in ended far east of me. It just needs to be fair and if cable can offer then, DirecTV should be able to as well.

As always... If I misunderstand myself or anyone else has insight, please feel free to correct anything I've said incorrectly.

Thanks and I hope this helps!

I understand how SVC works in your situation, but am still a bit lost in mine.

D* doesn't carry my locals (Erie, PA) - which is why I qualify for NY and LA - but does carry Buffalo, NY (which are available through our cable provider). Does this mean, in theory, I will be able to recieve the Buffalo channels (as per the link supplied by Alan Gordon)? Or will I still just recieve the distants because D* doesn't carry locals in my market?

warrenpa said:
I understand how SVC works in your situation, but am still a bit lost in mine.

D* doesn't carry my locals (Erie, PA) - which is why I qualify for NY and LA - but does carry Buffalo, NY (which are available through our cable provider). Does this mean, in theory, I will be able to recieve the Buffalo channels (as per the link supplied by Alan Gordon)? Or will I still just recieve the distants because D* doesn't carry locals in my market?
\

I would hope (but have no honest idea) that they would be allowed to provide you the "closest" market, especially if it's significantly viewed. I'm not sure if anyone has the documents on significantly viewed that I saw before or if they have been updated. It would be common sense to do that but as we know the government is involved here (FCC) and sometimes very little common sense comes out of Governement..... :D

I can't answer your question but hope it works out for you. Perhaps Scott or someone else here has access to some early info that might answer your question.

My argument with D* (also with the FCC) was just that - Buffalo, while not technically local - has always been available through our cable providers. And therefore I couldn't understand the logic behind not allowing it to be offered here - but this was long before I ever heard any utterings of significantly viewed.

I'm wondering if this will be a slow rollout or a country-wide thing... I would think this wouldn't be too difficult to do, but who knows?

warrenpa said:

I'm not positive, but I believe SHIVERA requires Local-into-Local service as a prerequisite to offering Significantly Viewed. I'd suspect that, unless D* is rolling out Erie locals in addition to everything else, the SV change doesn't affect you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)