Directv to limit viewing to 24 hour window? on PPV movies

Is 24 hour PPV's policy OK with you?

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I went with "Don't care" both because I rarely rent PPV, and if I did, I will have watched it within that 24hr period easy anyway.

Sounds like it is exactly how AppleTV works. Once you begin to watch a downloaded movie (you have 30 days to start) , you have 24 hrs. to complete it. I agree w/Charper, not a big deal. :cool:

It would kill about all pay per view ordering for me from either sat provider. DISH charges to much for an hd pay per view at 4.99 - 6.99 for an hd movie. If Directv limits the time to 24 hours , I will definately stop buying any pay per views from them too.

Agree that 24 hours is too short

Not that I order very many PPV movies, but a 24 hour time limit would probably cause me to eliminate any orders. How many times have you started to watch ANY movie, and something comes up (i.e., long telephone calls to the wife; get started too late and can't finish until the next day, but the next day doesn't work for watching TV; you get the idea). What's wrong with a 72 hour window?

Yea that does suck! But Oh well. I think I may have bought 4 PPV movies in the last 3 years. Most of the time I just wait untill it comes out on the premium channels ,and record them from there.

Sounds like it is exactly how AppleTV works. Once you begin to watch a downloaded movie (you have 30 days to start) , you have 24 hrs. to complete it. I agree w/Charper, not a big deal. :cool:
Once you start the movie, when 24 hours is up, the AppleTV box is locked from doing anything else unless you finish the movie or delete it.

If this is in fact being forced by the movie companies I think it is a very stupid move. They are already on slippery ground with all the options that are on the market. Why would you pay that much for a PPV with a 24 hour window when you can pay just as much (or less) at blockbuster or netflix and keep it as long as you want. I wonder how much of a kickback D* gets from PPV movies?

If this is in fact being forced by the movie companies I think it is a very stupid move. They are already on slippery ground with all the options that are on the market. Why would you pay that much for a PPV with a 24 hour window when you can pay just as much (or less) at blockbuster or netflix and keep it as long as you want. I wonder how much of a kickback D* gets from PPV movies?

With NetFlix or Blockbuster, the studio gets paid per DVD and not per rental as far as I know. They generally get a bit more off of the DVD initially because of the pricing. They make less money per PPV but get more views. Their primary concern is probably people getting a permanent copy (like a DVD) without them getting the DVD percentage.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)