DirecTV to Offer Live 4K in Early 2016

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You said Finish something before you fix it ....
Who is responsible for finishing it ?
4K is something that is being done by everyone, not an individual company.
There is a 4K alliance that was suppose to establish standards.

The last I heard the screen dimensions standard was still not establish.

So there will be slight screen distortion among say, a bunch of supposed 60" screens. I don't know if our eyes can see the distortion if we select stretch, but I suspect some screens would have those annoying narrow black or worst white borders on sides or top if you select do not stretch.

There are a few channels ready to go that have already made those changes / upgrades.

I don't think we will see 4K live channels grow as fast as we did for HD.

I am hearing the first 2 4K channels we will see on DIRECTV is DIRECTV's own Audience Network and ESPN 4K.

I kind of wish they would pick up NASA in 4k as well, and finally update to an HD version of NASA. This is long overdue.

My speculation on what we may see coming (this is only speculation) is that we will see

Audience Network in 4k
ESPN 4k
NASA 4k
Some sort of live events in 4k associated with PPV in 4k and a...
Dedicated 4k PPV channel.

Isn't there some sort of regulation that they have to have a percentage of public interest channels versus normal channels. Maybe NASA in 4k can help fill that void! :D :) LOL I know Discovery and HBO are doing 4k channels as well but I haven't heard anything on a launch date.

There is a 4K alliance that was suppose to establish standards.

The last I heard the screen dimensions standard was still not establish.

So there will be slight screen distortion among say, a bunch of supposed 60" screens. I don't know if our eyes can see the distortion if we select stretch, but I suspect some screens would have those annoying narrow black or worst white borders on sides or top if you select do not stretch.

Screen dimensions standard wasn't even being discussed. The standard has been 16 by 9 and the resolution's that 4k is already at 4096 x 2160. 3840 x 2160 is a lower resolution version of it and is like running 1440 x 1080. This was already adapted into the standard.

I think I heard/read somewhere that Discovery has been filming in 4K for the last year or so?

I can't recall specifics, but I want to say I've seen that somewhere. It also could have been a dream.

Screen dimensions standard wasn't even being discussed. The standard has been 16 by 9 and the resolution's that 4k is already at 4096 x 2160. 3840 x 2160 is a lower resolution version of it and is like running 1440 x 1080. This was already adapted into the standard.
So is this gonna be caller 4k Lite ? :eeek

I kind of wish they would pick up NASA in 4k as well, and finally update to an HD version of NASA. This is long overdue.

My speculation on what we may see coming (this is only speculation) is that we will see

Audience Network in 4k
ESPN 4k
NASA 4k
Some sort of live events in 4k associated with PPV in 4k and a...
Dedicated 4k PPV channel.

Isn't there some sort of regulation that they have to have a percentage of public interest channels versus normal channels. Maybe NASA in 4k can help fill that void! :D :) LOL I know Discovery and HBO are doing 4k channels as well but I haven't heard anything on a launch date.
NASA in 4k on rdbs to fill that.

May need 2 4K PPV / event channel if just for RSN like needs where you will need 2 feeds.

I wonder how difficult it would be to implement wide color with 4K?
I know standards(I believe broadcasts are currently working on this) will not be the same as uhd blu ray. I know Rogders? Cable in Canada will be doing 4K HDR baseball and hockey starting sometime within the next month or two.

Those saying they're no noticeable difference between HD and 4K have clearly never seen a 4K TV or if they have it was a poorly set up unit. Even the upconversion on a 65" Samsung is absolutely stunning. The 4K content from Amazon is beautiful.

Comparing 4K to 3D is simply grabbing at straws in this debate.

Reactions: joed32
I wonder how difficult it would be to implement wide color with 4K?
I know standards(I believe broadcasts are currently working on this) will not be the same as uhd blu ray. I know Rogders? Cable in Canada will be doing 4K HDR baseball and hockey starting sometime within the next month or two.

I dont think its going to be that difficult as they have been working on that with the HDR standard. I dont know the technicals but HDR is something that is being implemented even on the ATSC 3.0 broadcast side. The nice thing is that the standards so far have flexibility built in for the changing of compression methods, especially on the ATSC 3.0 side. It was just tested as well as immersive audio. http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/0002/sinclair-demos-hdr-4ktv-over-atsc-30-in-vegas/277546

It looks like they were able to get a full 4k signal with HDR and 7.1.4 audio in half of a 6 Mhz channel. So does this bold that they could technically get in 2 4k channels per 1 RF channel as that included overhead, or even 1 4k, and 4 HD's. I can see some broadcasters in Dualoplolies, doing a Fox and a CBS in 4k on one RF channel and doing an 8 channel HD package on their other RF. Broadcasters are going to like that aspect of ATSC 3.0.

It's not really 4k lite, its just the native resolution of some of the content coming out. UHD would be 3840 * 2160 while true 4k is a step above. Either or, your still getting a really good picture.
That's exactly what 4K lite is.
If it's not full Res.
Just like HD lite is not a full 1920x1080

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: ejb1980
Yep 1440x1080.

That's exactly what 4K lite is.
If it's not full Res.
Just like HD lite is not a full 1920x1080

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Aka Dish HD

No you have it wrong.. It's about screen size formats. Sizes are broken down into formats: video or NTSC (1:33:1, 4:3), HDTV (1:7:1, 16:9), widescreen 35mm cinema film (1.85:1).

2000px-Filmaspectratios_svg.svg.png

UHD is not the same as 2k and 4k which are Cinema Standards. 2K and 4k officially have 1:9:1 resolution structure at 4096 X 2160. When you watch this content on your 16:9 screen, you will still see black bars on the top and bottom because 1:9:1 is not a true 16:9 format. It's more of a 35 mm format for digital screens. Cinema standards are 4k and 2k period. UHD does not fall into this category but has been lumped into it by coming out at the same time. Guilt by association and confusion of the new standards. So when you say UHD is the same as 4k it really isn't, even though it is. I'll explain later.

HD stadards are: 1:7:1 (16x9)
UHD
1080P/I
720P

HD lite is the 1080 standard resolution with horizontal lines taken from 1920 to 1440. This is done to lower the amount of data for retransmission. IE: You don't have a fat enough pipe to support full 1080 transmission and all of the data associated with it. 3840 X 2160 is a true 1:7:1 (16:9) format and no bits are taken out to for true 16:9 transmission unlike HD lite where the aspect ratio is reduced. Also HD lite is reducing from 1:7:1 to 1:66:1. So where as people are calling UHD lite, they are actually misinformed as the lower resolution of UHD (Quad HD) is the correct resolution to maintain the 1:7:1 standard, unlike HD lite where that 1:7:1 standard is reduced to 1:66:1.

Now with that said.... UHD often gets called 4k because it still has 4 times the resolution of an 1080P HD signal. Meaning you can fit 4 1080P signals into one 4k screen. I know it's confusing.

Actually for HD Lite formats like 1440 x 1080i used by Dish HD, the aspect ratio is still 16:9. As the pixel samples per horizontal line are less, but spaced further apart to cover the same active video line length, thereby creating the digital equivalent of the "rectangular pixels" of the analog video era transmissions. Longer horizontally than vertically.

When decoded by the receiver it is then up to the TV set to upscale the 1440 horiz. line pixels to the native resolution of the display like 1920 for a standard 1080P HDTV though interpolation.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

Reactions: I WANT MORE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)