DIRECTV Transponder Map ~ Data 4/24/2024

For preservation reasons, here are Gary's Reconstituted/Recreated/Remastered TPN Maps from the old Edgecutter forums.
  • July 18, 2012 (First attempt)
  • July 18, 2012 (Second attempt, _C variant)
  • August 9, 2012
  • January 2, 2013
  • January 2, 2014
  • January 7, 2015
  • January 6, 2016
  • January 4, 2017
  • July 5, 2017

Attachments

• TPN_Map_Domestic_170705_B.xlsx
    1.6 MB · Views: 94
  • TPN_Map_Domestic_120809.xlsx
    1.4 MB · Views: 83
  • TPN_Map_Domestic_120718_C.xlsx
    1.4 MB · Views: 78
  • TPN_Map_Domestic_120718.xlsx
    1.3 MB · Views: 111
  • TPN_Map_Domestic_170104.xlsx
    722.9 KB · Views: 184
  • TPN_Map_Domestic_160106.xlsx
    693.7 KB · Views: 101
  • TPN_Map_Domestic_150107.xlsx
    675.6 KB · Views: 82
  • TPN_Map_Domestic_130102.xlsx
    671.4 KB · Views: 127
  • TPN_Map_Domestic_140102.xlsx
    657.8 KB · Views: 75
this is exactly where we need to get back to. Sports was getting crowded out of OTA so RSNs became necessary. Now there's so much capacity on OTA that sports just makes sense.
Most RSNs actually have their origins as cablecast channels in the 1970s. The big thing that froze OTA out of local sports was HBO vs the FCC in the 1970s which struck down the FCC's antisiphoning rules that limited how much movies and sports could be cable only, followed by certain companies who created a bidding war by dangling the offer of team specific RSNs to jack up the costs each time they were up for renewal.

The Suns and Mercury are kind of a unique situation since the Phoenix DMA takes up most of the state, and Gray has (or will soon have) stations in the neighboring Tucson and Yuma DMAs. They also have a much smaller TV territory compared to the Diamondbacks, although that will probably change after the Oakland A's move to Vegas and claim exclusive rights to most of Nevada like what happened to the Coyotes, Ducks, Kings and Sharks after the Golden Knights arrived.

It can't really work for other major market sports cities like LA, San Francisco, NYC or Philly where most of the stations are network O&Os which don't have stations in all the DMAs that make up the teams' territories. i.e. the NYC teams include Binghamton, Utica, Elmira and Watertown, and those DMAs are so small that some of the Big 4 along with CW, MyNet and Ion are only available as subchannels, and on really busy nights when NHL, NBA and MLB overlap, between MSG, MSGSN, YES, SNY and their overflow "2" feeds, they need 7 channels to air all the live games. Plus once you get outside of the home DMA of the team, you deal with overlapping territories, like the Buffalo Sabres are also available in all of New York State except for the NYC DMA, most of Connecticut can also get Boston's teams, and much of northern and eastern PA can also get Philadelphia's and Pittsburgh's teams.

Reactions: Gary Toma
Tonight’s UFC Fight Night was supposed to air on ESPN+ Business channel 9522 but now it was taken off the program guide… is the Apple MLS package, MLB EI fox feeds and any RSN overflows for NHL playoff games have anything to do with DTV not having enough CINEHD feeds available to air UFC fight night?
It's because UFC Fight Night was moved to ESPN2 after the Golden Knights/Jets ended in Game 5. (ESPN2 would have carried the start of Game 6 if the XFL game didn't finish in time)

Channels 9520 to 9529 are for commercial customers only, not regular DirecTV customers. so we don't spend a lot of time following them. But, I just took a look at the current guide. There are several PIDS allocated to Cinema HD channels, not sporting events at the moment, so the bandwidth is there, if they scheduled it.

Channels 9520 to 9529 are for commercial customers only, not regular DirecTV customers. so we don't spend a lot of time following them. But, I just took a look at the current guide. There are several PIDS allocated to Cinema HD channels, not sporting events at the moment, so the bandwidth is there, if they scheduled it.
A friend of mine did send me this photo (and before you ask, he's not on this forum so you can't question him about it) that he took last year of the 721 error on a commercial channel at a commercial establishment. Which is honestly weird.
IMG_9470.jpg

A friend of mine did send me this photo (and before you ask, he's not on this forum so you can't question him about it) that he took last year of the 721 error on a commercial channel at a commercial establishment. Which is honestly weird.
IMG_9470.jpg
I work at a bar that pays for ESPN+ Business, what happens is about 30 minutes before each scheduled sporting event on those channels there’s a 721 code instead of showing a “PPV slate” or even the ESPN+ message “event starting soon” of what’s coming up at the scheduled time

Same thing happened last Friday with Apple TV baseball, instead of the pregame show on both 9528 and 9529, they had the 721 code up until 7pm before each game

"Weird" = not what you expect.

Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016
Last evening (Saturday) just before 9:30pm eastern, I ran a full capture of the APG data while validating the changes I had made for postings in this forum.
The analysis sheet gives an insight into the amount of Cinema/Sports remappings that take place on a regular basis. This was just an ordinary weekend, many of the Cinema channels stayed up.

Attachments

• Analysis_230429_vs_230426.xlsx
    18.3 KB · Views: 94
Some other changes happened since Wednesday:
KNGF/27 Grand Forks is in test mode for the Fargo DMA, this is one of the new stations created as part of last year's vacant allotment auction

Targetted Offers:
9579 will be a targetted $120 credit ($20 for 6 months) to slightly offset the cost of a Sunday Ticket subscription
9584 will be a targetted free Gemini offer promoting how you can also view your Sunday Ticket subscription on it with the YouTube app

The subchannel relabels hit Reno, Rochester, Rockford and Salisbury

In addition to the NSCAHD logo change, they also corrected the logo for one of the Bally Sports Southeast Extra channels and for whatever reason reassigned the dead NBCSN Alternate to logo_id 139.

The subchannel relabels hit Reno, Rochester, Rockford and Salisbury
For Salisbury they only renamed their CW subchannel (WMDT 47.2) and not also their Fox subchannel (WBOC “Fox 21” 21.2, but it’s carried as channel 17 so it can be right below the main WBOC CBS channel’s 16). Unless I’m missing something.

Do we know how the $120 credit offer works? I haven't seen any context reported on any of the other forums. Seems odd to give credits to people to buy something someplace else.

It will probably only be given to former long time Sunday Ticket subscribers to try to retain them as satellite customers. The credit more than covers the difference between the YouTube standalone and YouTubeTV subscriber Sunday Ticket pricing.

Do you know what logo that points to? I would guess it's some other NBC channel's logo since NBCSN already has two logo_id's, 321 and 486 (although 321 is now the ESPN College Extra logo_id)
These logo_id's are only database keys. When you remove an object from a relational database, that key becomes free to assign to whatever the next thing you put in the database is. NBCSN has been shutdown. It's logo has been removed. If there is a file that wasn't erased laying around laying around with that logo, it is only leftover trash. Expecting long term association between the key and logos no longer in use is foolish.

Didn’t think it wouldn’t make sense to you. I guess I meant to say NBCSN already had two logo_id’s, 321 and 486. And yeah because it shutdown one of it’s logo_id’s, 321, began to be used for something else, that is, the ESPN College Extra package. But I’m not sure what 486 is used for or will be used for.
As an FYI, in the old app’s files, 321 is the NBC Sports Network logo that it had during its first couple years on air after being rebranded from Versus (who in turn had logo_id’s 669 for SD and 754 for HD)
486 is the logo where it’s simplified to just their initials, NBCSN.

If Diamond Sports doesn't make a payment by the end of the grace period next week, a Cincinnati Reds channel will go live on 5/6 for next week's series against the White Sox. (The 5/5 game is an AppleTV+ game)
Diamond made the payment this week, so the Reds will remain on Bally Sports Ohio's Cincinnati feed.

NBCSN already had two logo_id’s, 321 and 486
As an FYI, in the old app’s files, 321 is the NBC Sports Network logo
486 is the logo where it’s simplified to just their initials, NBCSN.
486 was the vertically stacked NBCSN logo, for whatever reason 139 never made it to the app's assets, but it was the horizontal style NBCSN logo.

NBCSHD, NBCS and NBCSa (the SD alternate) were mapped to logo_id 139 from the week of 2/18/19 until the find us on USA, CNBC and Peacock promo loop was removed the week 1/12/22. NBCSaHD was the only channel still mapped to 321, but 2 weeks prior to the shutdown it was put into test mode during the week of 12/22/21 so the INFO slate that replaced NBCSa would be visible when hide SD duplicates is enabled.

The old app replaced 321 with the ESPN College Extra logo in the March 2022 update, and the png image file on the website has a last-modified date of February 3rd 2022 in the server response. They just didn't change the ESPN College Extra channels from logo_id 544 (ESPN HD) to 321 until the week of 4/19/23

Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016
NBCSHD, NBCS and NBCSa (the SD alternate) were mapped to logo_id 139 from the week of 2/18/19 until the find us on USA, CNBC and Peacock promo loop was removed the week 1/12/22
Thanks for clarifying my last response. However, I did tune to NBCSN quite a bit in those years, especially the days leading to the shutdown, but did not see the horizontally stacked logo in the top right info bar. Instead, it was the NBC peacock logo with “Sports” (in their proprietary script font) written underneath in black causing it to be hard to see because the UI is of course, black.

Some logos have been added to D* servers since the last logo_ID library update on April 7th, Gary Toma KyL416
010 - Discovery Channel SD
318 - ESPNews SD
452 - Lifetime SD
462 - ESPN Deportes HD
515 - EarthX TV
707 - ESPN Deportes SD
769 - ESPNews HD
862 - Disney XD
Those are the new additions I found while comparing your library to D*s. Add these and any other new additions I might be missing when you can.

Last edited:
The resources library uses the "large" images you see on the channels pages and not the "medium" images you see on the guide. For whatever reason "large" is missing 000 (DirecTV), 010 (Disc SD), 452 (Lifetime SD) and 862 (DXD SD), while "medium" is missing 257 (DXDHD), 449 (LIFEHD), 499 (GOLF) and 728 (DSCHD)

The additions made since the previous grab were already mentioned in the other thread back when they were added in mid-April, and so far DirecTV hasn't made any additions since then. He only does the grab once a month, so they'll be included whenever he does the May grab:
KyL416 said:
EarthxTV will have logo_id 515 when it goes live, which used to be the Telefutura logo.

They also uploaded a few more logos today:
000 - DirecTV ("Large" only has this as 0)
595 - LifeS (previously used for ETV Bangla)
598 - Family Movie Classics (previously used for Sky TG24)
604 - DirecTV 4K Channel (previously used for Fox Soccer Channel)

EDIT: A few more were added on 4/14:
318 ESPNEWS SD
462 ESPN Deportes HD
707 ESPN Deportes SD
769 ESPNEWS HD

DirecTV Satellite Transponder Updates for May 03 2023

Comparison of Transponder Data for May 03 2023 vs Apr 26 2023:

No changes in system tables for any transponder tuning parameters.

Stream (PID) counts:

LIVE Streams​
National​
Spot Beams​
Count​
Change​
Count​
Change​
4K​
4​
HD​
277​
-1​
1444​
SD mpeg4
137​
198​
SD mpeg2
402​
-1​
440​
RB​
Audio​
89​
Push​
31​
Slate​
20​
1​
TEST Streams​
National​
Spot Beams​
Count​
Change​
Count​
Change​
4K​
HD​
1​
1​
SD mpeg4
2​
SD mpeg2
RB​
Engr Work​
51​
3​

The PID count Excel workbook provides much more count detail.

Newly updated tables of Streams on each transponder are available in the DataDigesters TPN Grids

More details of changes in individual channels will follow in the Weekly Analysis
and Gary Toma's Domestic TPN Map Excel files

Minimal Changes
Weekly Analysis soon
Enjoy here at new site
Doctor j