DIRECTV Transponder Map ~ Data 4/24/2024

Weekly Analysis for 5/3/2023

Attachments

• Weekly_Analysis_230503.xlsx
    11.9 KB · Views: 109
Reactions: starchild
The main changes since this past Saturday involve the targetted offers:
9580 GIFT (Extra Innings on Us) was removed
9583 SIGNAL is in test mode and being repurposed for a 12 months of Sports Pack on Us GIFT
9584 Gemini is now live

The VOD channels DPLUS, AMCPLS, MGM+ are also now mapped to their logo_ids

You can say the same with Estrella TV.
Estrella TV 442 has logo_id 61, which until February last year, was the Estrella TV logo. After last February, logo_id 61 was wrongly changed to the logo for one of their sister stations, Estrella News.
DirecTV would add Estrella News in July last year (I think), on channel 473, but it has no logo at all and would just show the channel name in place of the logo if you tuned in.
They should assign logo_id 61 to Estrella News 473 and give Estrella TV a new id, or change logo_id 61 back to Estrella TV and give Estrella News a new ID.

Reactions: Nate.O’Brien
There's a bunch of others that need to be updated:
330 BET Her needs to be mapped to logo_id 78
454 Univision Tlnovelas needs to be mapped to logo_id 429
459 AtresCine needs to be mapped to logo_id 265
469 TyC needs to be mapped to logo_id 561
628 NESN needs to be mapped to the NESN logo (778) instead of the NESN National logo (177)
635-1 MSG Western New York HD and 635-3 MSG2 need to be mapped to the MSG logo (73) instead of the MSGSN logo (811)
687 Root Northwest needs to be mapped to logo_id 109 or 110
800 Music Choice TV needs to be mapped to logo_id 107
1253 LMN needs to be mapped to the LMN logo (136 HD or 320 SD) instead of still pointing to logo_id 418 which has since been repurposed for FanDuel
1610 BTN needs to be mapped to the current BTN logo (767) instead of the old BTN HD logo (842)
1922 Hallmark Movies Now needs to be mapped to logo_id 215
1924 Up Faith & Family needs to be mapped to logo_id 40
1928 Acorn needs to be mapped to logo_id 377
1930 HISTORY VAULT needs to be mapped to logo_id 214
1942 ALLBLK needs to be mapped to logo_id 375
1945 Revry needs to be mapped to logo_id 41
1960 Fox Nation needs to be mapped to logo_id 336
2039 Little Saigon Radio needs to be mapped to logo_id 717
9478 and 9479 MLS Season Pass need to be mapped to logo_id 84 like the rest of the channels
9521-9525 should be mapped to one of the ESPN logos (2 SD or 544 HD) as they are dedicated to ESPN+ for Business events

Even though they're mapped to logo_ids, ShopHQ (173), FM (48), Channel Neco (201) and Nippon (202) are missing their logo assets.

Some of the LIL Ion channels still need to be mapped to logo_id 423. (It would also be nice if they start mapping the LIL MeTV, Bounce, Grit, Estrella, CTN, SBN, TCT and ShopHQ stations to their logo_ids)

The logos for Golf Channel, Sundance, WHT, Living Faith, Videorola, Bandamax, De Pelicula, De Pelicula Clasico, ForoTV, Next Level Sports, NBC Sports Bay Area and Stingray Karaoke are outdated.

Grit and Bounce need to be replaced by their darkbg/negative variants so they can be visible.

I would disagree on the need for 9521-9525 to have a logo_id but they do have an actual “ESPN+ for Business” logo on the DTV business website that they could assign a logo_id if they want to go that route

Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016

I could have sworn those all had logos. I'm guessing they were at one point mapped to those IDs and then unmapped so no logo shows?
1610 BTN needs to be mapped to the current BTN logo (767) instead of the old BTN HD logo (842)
That was a recent change. I remember seeing it and mentioning it on a Weekly Analysis over at the old site.
Even though they're mapped to logo_ids, ShopHQ (173), FM (48), Channel Neco (201) and Nippon (202) are missing their logo assets.
Weird.....
Some of the LIL Ion channels still need to be mapped to logo_id 423. (It would also be nice if they start mapping the LIL MeTV, Bounce, Grit, Estrella, CTN, SBN, TCT and ShopHQ stations to their logo_ids)
I agree with you, I like consistency!
The logos for Golf Channel, Sundance, WHT, Living Faith, Videorola, Bandamax, De Pelicula, De Pelicula Clasico, ForoTV, Next Level Sports, NBC Sports Bay Area and Stingray Karaoke are outdated.
I did not realize since I watch none of those channels let alone subscribe to most of them, lol
Grit and Bounce need to be replaced by their darkbg/negative variants so they can be visible.
I noted that on the old site as well.

I could have sworn those all had logos. I'm guessing they were at one point mapped to those IDs and then unmapped so no logo shows?
It looks like 454 UNTL and 469 TYC were mapped to their logo_ids back when they and all the other Spanish package channels were still on D7S 119°W satellite. And it seems like when they moved them to D15 103°W they did not map the D15 versions of those 2 channels to their logo_ids.

• Wow
In addition to the targetted offer updates from last week

KNGF/27 is now live for the Fargo DMA

The NBA and NHL auth/offer channels have been removed

The subchannel relabels hit the rest of Salisbury, along with San Diego and Santa Barbara

*LifeS is now pointing to its logo_id 595, NSCA (SD) is also pointing to logo_id 233 (stacked NBSCA logo), BSGLe and BSGLeHD are now pointing to logo_id 942 (Bally Great Lakes Extra) instead of 884 (Bally Great Lakes Plus)

DirecTV Satellite Transponder Updates for May 10 2023

Comparison of Transponder Data for May 10 2023 vs May 03 2023:

No changes in system tables for any transponder tuning parameters.

Stream (PID) counts:

LIVE Streams​
National​
Spot Beams​
Count​
Change​
Count​
Change​
4K​
4​
HD​
277​
1445​
1​
SD mpeg4
137​
198​
SD mpeg2
402​
440​
RB​
Audio​
89​
Push​
31​
Slate​
20​
1​
TEST Streams​
National​
Spot Beams​
Count​
Change​
Count​
Change​
4K​
HD​
-1​
SD mpeg4
2​
SD mpeg2
RB​
Engr Work​
51​

The PID count Excel workbook provides much more count detail.

Newly updated tables of Streams on each transponder are available in the DataDigesters TPN Grids

More details of changes in individual channels will follow in the Weekly Analysis
and Gary Toma's Domestic TPN Map Excel files

Weekly Analysis soon
Enjoy, updated by DataDigesters
Stay Safe

BSGLe and BSGLeHD are now pointing to logo_id 942 (Bally Great Lakes Extra) instead of 884 (Bally Great Lakes Plus)
Speaking of this update, several new logos were added/updated on DirecTV's server yesterday:
361 NBC Sports Bay Area (vertically stacked)
713 NBC Sports Bay Area+ (now horizontal style)
718 NBC Sports California+ (now horizontal style)
721 NBC Sports Chicago+ (now horizontal style)
725 NBC Sports Washington+ (now horizontal style)
921 San Diego Padres (last used for TV Colombia)
931 Cincinnati Reds (last used for FS Florida HD)
942 Bally Sports Great Lakes Extra (last used for Lifetime HD's 2008 logo)
955 MAX (last used for Galavision)

Weekly Analysis for 5/10/2023 :

Attachments

• Weekly_Analysis_230510.xlsx
    12.2 KB · Views: 83
Reactions: starchild
Do you know what DirecTV does for customers who live in DMAs but are specifically outside of the contours on the beams meant to cover those DMAs?
Asking since I've been to the DC DMA a few times and I did some research earlier and found out some counties aren't within the inner white-colored contour (the one with the most dBw) on the Earth footprints.
Part of one county in the DMA, specifically St. Mary's County in MD, as you can see, is just flat out not in the contours.
This is specifically the D11 A2B4 Washington Richmond spotbeam.
I would assume they either give customers only the SD versions of the locals or just flat out not give them anything.

Attachments

• 1683740433692.png
    1683740433692.png
    696.7 KB · Views: 74
There are several issues at work here. In general, when they install DirecTV service the installer looks at the signal levels, and with consultation with their supervisor decide on the spot what is feasible. The beam contours in our library for most satellites are from engineering evaluations of the antenna patterns of the satellite on the ground before launch. The antenna reflectors aim can be tweaked, as can the power output of the transponder. The dB levels of footprint contours were calculated from the peak power shown in the FCC filing and the contours were specified in the FCC filing as contours of -2dB, -4dB, etc. down from the peak. The contours are polygons, with just the vertices specified, and a straight tline between them, when in real life they are a smooth curve. And it is a gradient between the contours. So the point you are showing is probably getting more than a -51dBm signal, which is sufficient, if you could believe those contours...

But the real problem is that we don't have any real data for the beam contours for D11 (T11). They just were never filed with the FCC. They only filed four sample spot beams. All of the beam footprints for D11 in our library are an approximation derived by me from the D12 footprints, applying judgement and crude calculations on how the beams would translate from a satellite at 103W to a satellite at 99W, and how they would adjust the 4 main reflectors to make the spot beams land on the DMAs they serve. They are not precise enough to do the kind of analysis you are doing.

And look at the dBM values of those rings. Because different spot beam transponders have different peak power, the same color ifrom one footprint to another is not necessarily the same level. -51 dBm is good enough for Ka band, and reception is possible below that.

I need to make a couple corrections to the comments on the beam footprints above. I fired off the response when I was pressed for time, and got some details incorrect. I haven't visited these beam footprints in about 4 years, so the details are a little fuzzy. I referred to the value of the rings as dBm (dB relative to a milliwatt), when they are specified actually as dBW (db relative to a Watt). My mind was mixing up up units from some other technical work I have done. I also was using a minus sign with the values which is incorrect. So the statement should be 51 dBW should be good enough. Actually, most of the CONUS beam from D11 in the Western US is around 50 dBW.

Also, the 51.5 dBW line in that Washington beam footprint is supposed to be pink, not white. In other footprints I made the line for 8 dB below the peak more purple than pink, because the pink appears too close to white.