DirecTV Triplexer?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cgearhar

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2006
I just ordered DirecTV and after I hit the "Buy" button I thought of some things that I wish I'd have thought of beforehand. First of all, AFTER ordering, I discovered that my local channels are NOT available in HD in my area. However I do have an attic antenna that picks them up just fine. So I'm assuming that the installer could use diplexers to give me access to both the DirecTV dish and the attic antenna, right? Now for the complicated part: I also have a FTA dish that I want to continue using. Is there such thing as a "triplexer" that will give me access to all three sources? If so, is it likely the installer would have them on hand?

you do realize you need a AM21 to access your OTA channels on the Directv receiver?

and no there is no triplexer.....Directv and FTA run on the same frequencies so they cannot be combined

you do realize you need a AM21 to access your OTA channels on the Directv receiver?

I have a separate dish and receivers for FTA. I'm just trying to avoid running two sets of cable.

But what exactly is an AM21?

I have a separate dish and receivers for FTA. I'm just trying to avoid running two sets of cable.

But what exactly is an AM21?

AM 21 is an OTA tuner for D*, D* decided to remove the OTA tuners in thier current D* branded recvrs.
Now you need a AM21 to get OTA .

AM 21 is an OTA tuner for D*, D* decided to remove the OTA tuners in thier current D* branded recvrs.
Now you need a AM21 to get OTA .

I see. So I'd still need to use diplexers to get both the OTA and D* signals to each TV, correct?

Yes, you will need Diplexors if you want to use one Coax cable to carry OTA signals from your Antenna as well as DirecTV Satellite signals. Be aware if you get a Whole Home system so you can share DVR content to other DirecTV receivers in your home you can NOT use a Diplexor to combine OTA and Satellite signals. The reason is because DirecTV uses the OTA spectrum to transmit the DVR stream to other receivers in your home.

Be aware if you get a Whole Home system so you can share DVR content to other DirecTV receivers in your home you can NOT use a Diplexor to combine OTA and Satellite signals. The reason is because DirecTV uses the OTA spectrum to transmit the DVR stream to other receivers in your home.

Well that's a major bummer. :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

no icons on anything

YES Network Being Dropped? (Agreement reached 4/7)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts