Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Unified DIRECTV Brand – Launching April 6, 2023

Overview

DIRECTV is streamlining the brand to create a simpler and more seamless customer experience.

In the current state today, DIRECTV’s products are divided by their method of delivery: DIRECTV is a Satellite product and DIRECTV STREAM is a Streaming product.

As DIRECTV’s Marketing teams have learned more about the STREAM customer base, they’ve seen different behaviors and values between those who are BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) DIRECTV STREAM customers and those who have DIRECTV STREAM using the Osprey Device. STREAM with Device customers are often coming from a Cable provider, and they’re looking for a service that aligns with what they’ve had in the past, with similar pricing/offers, but with a better experience overall.

New Unified Brand

To solve for the needs of these customers and to create a more unified DIRECTV brand, as of April 6, 2023, Device customers will both fall under the “DIRECTV” Brand. DIRECTV Satellite will become a sub-brand called, “DIRECTV via SATELLITE”, and DIRECTV STREAM with Device will become a sub-brand called, “DIRECTV via INTERNET.”

BYOD STREAM customers will stay with the “DIRECTV STREAM” brand.

UNIFIED-directv-brand.png

With the rebrand, DIRECTV (both via SATELLITE & via INTERNET) will align in price, they’ll both come with a 2-year price protection for 24 months, and they’ll both offer an included device for the customer at no additional cost.

One major benefit with Satellite is that there is still a larger variety of content available, and more channels available for the same price. The customer channel lineups will be available online for the customer to compare. Sales agents will also receive training that there is more content available via SATELLITE.

DIRECTV STREAM for BYOD will continue to be a month-to-month offer as it is today. DIRECTV via INTERNET will also be month-to-month, but will offer a new price lock for 24 months.

What Customers Can Expect – As of April 6

New Customers with Equipment

• Customers ordering any type of DIRECTV service with equipment will experience one DIRECTV ‘umbrella’ brand.
  • There will continue to be two technology delivery options for DIRECTV service.
  • Based on the type of technology delivery method, service will be called via SATELLITE or via INTERNET.
New Customers Without Equipment (BYOD)

• New customers that do not order DIRECTV service with equipment (BYOD) will be directed to com for the DIRECTV STREAM service.
  • DIRECTV equipment gives customers the BEST experience & customers should only be referred to directvstream.com after DIRECTV via SATELLITE and/or DIRECTV via INTERNET have been offered as a solution.
Existing Customers

• Existing DIRECTV STREAM customers with & without a DIRECTV STREAM device will continue with services under the DIRECTV STREAM name for now.
  • Account management functions on com will continue.

I was saying they should do this five years ago, but I assume AT&T wanting their name to be on "AT&T TV" was what prevented it being launched like that from day one.

So, they won't be offering a DTV Stream box when new customers sign up? I guess they are not going to be selling that 4k DTV Stream dongle? DTV Stream will lose customers who like the cable like experience. I wonder what the new DTV via the Internet will look like? I wonder if existing DTV customers can have both DTV over Satellite and Internet for one price?

Last edited:
My guess is that the new DTV streaming dongle will be rolled out on April 6 exclusively as part of the "DIRECTV via INTERNET" service (and it will never be made available to customers on the existing "DIRECTV Stream" service). And if pricing is truly going to be the same for this new "via INTERNET" as for the "via SATELLITE" version, then that means the first dongle will cost $15/mo and additional ones will rent for $7/mo.

But you get fewer channels and no 4K content on the streaming version. Main benefits of getting service via internet are to avoid the initial 2-year contract and to have a better all-in-one TV box that runs streaming apps in addition to DirecTV. I assume that since DTV via Internet won't have the up-front contract, then that means not getting a Visa gift card worth a few hundred bucks like you do with satellite, so your effective cost is actually higher.

Are they really going to try to sell DTV via Internet's Entertainment package for $80/mo and the Choice package for $114/mo, price locked for 24 months, after which the prices go up another $10-20? Those are the current prices for those packages via satellite with a single receiver included.

I just can't see many people going that route. You'd have to *really* value that DTV streaming dongle versus getting the service via an app on your own streaming device to pay that much more.

DTV Stream is already massively losing to YouTube TV and Hulu Live in the race for subs. It has two main things going for it, though, that help set it apart from those two. One is the availability of their custom streaming device that's reasonably priced, which you buy and own, not rent. The second is that they offer everyone's local RSN(s) on the Choice package while YTTV and Hulu lack all or nearly all RSNs.

But now it looks like DTV may be set to sabotage that first differentiator. Meanwhile, who knows what's going to happen with RSNs as that whole business model looks unsustainable with Diamond (owner of the Bally Sports RSNs) now in bankruptcy.

What if DTV over the internet has the same channels that DTV has along with the same PQ? I really don't see why they need DTV over the Internet and DTV Stream? Why not just drop the Stream name?

Last edited:
Reactions: navychop
I guess their definition of "streamlined" is different than mine. :rolleyes:

This is all they really did which in effect is to split their Internet offering into two and put half under a different umbrella.
UNIFIED-directv-brand.png

I wonder if this is DirecTV's way of turning it into a cable company for when the last Satellite runs out of fuel? They would also get rid of DTV Stream and just have it down to DTV via the Internet with the same channel lineup as DTV over Satellite but with the cloud DVR that would have all the same features as the HS-17?

With the rebrand, DIRECTV (both via SATELLITE & via INTERNET) will align in price, they’ll both come with a 2-year price protection for 24 months, and they’ll both offer an included device for the customer at no additional cost.
So does this mean us with the Osprey boxes will have our package prices jumped up as high as the satellite prices are now?
Sounds like it. Only with less channels than satellite.

This is, well, stupid.

Many people don't even know that DirecTV has a streaming option. DirecTV Stream was a good way to advertise that it does, although I would have come up with something a bit more flashy, like DirecTV Megaplex, or DirecTV The Next Generation, or some other nonsense. I have never heard of "BYOD", but what does it matter? If you have a STB or you have a smart TV, what does it matter? Its the same service.

But just read the threads here. "Is that channel on DirecTV?" "Well, its on Stream, but not the satellite yet." But now they are going to have two totally separate services delivered in totally different ways with some, and at least some significant, differences in channel lineups, both called the same thing; and a third thing called something else, but which is actually just one of the two other services, just that you download an app for it and not a STB. Further compounded by the fact that "regular" DirecTV also uses the internet (optionally) for many things; and the fact that any DirecTV customer, of either delivery method, can download the app, to a TV or to a tablet or smart phone, and use it for travel, weather, extra TVs (w/o paying for extra boxes), or whatever.

Dumb.

This is, well, stupid.

Many people don't even know that DirecTV has a streaming option. DirecTV Stream was a good way to advertise that it does, although I would have come up with something a bit more flashy, like DirecTV Megaplex, or DirecTV The Next Generation, or some other nonsense. I have never heard of "BYOD", but what does it matter? If you have a STB or you have a smart TV, what does it matter? Its the same service.

But just read the threads here. "Is that channel on DirecTV?" "Well, its on Stream, but not the satellite yet." But now they are going to have two totally separate services delivered in totally different ways with some, and at least some significant, differences in channel lineups, both called the same thing; and a third thing called something else, but which is actually just one of the two other services, just that you download an app for it and not a STB. Further compounded by the fact that "regular" DirecTV also uses the internet (optionally) for many things; and the fact that any DirecTV customer, of either delivery method, can download the app, to a TV or to a tablet or smart phone, and use it for travel, weather, extra TVs (w/o paying for extra boxes), or whatever.

Dumb.
Best ting I have read all day. Great explanation. LOL!

I guess their definition of "streamlined" is different than mine. :rolleyes:

This is all they really did which in effect is to split their Internet offering into two and put half under a different umbrella.
View attachment 161239

Yeah, just seems like a way to preserve the satellite pricing model via streaming service. They have to keep the Stream service to compete with similar competitors though. A lot of words but relatively simple change, outside of charging some people more most wont notice.

I wonder if this is DirecTV's way of turning it into a cable company for when the last Satellite runs out of fuel? They would also get rid of DTV Stream and just have it down to DTV via the Internet with the same channel lineup as DTV over Satellite but with the cloud DVR that would have all the same features as the HS-17?
Don't worry, this will all change a few more times before the Sats run out of fuel ...
The company might not even exist by then.

So, they won't be offering a DTV Stream box when new customers sign up? I guess they are not going to be selling that 4k DTV Stream dongle? DTV Stream will lose customers who like the cable like experience. I wonder what the new DTV via the Internet will look like? I wonder if existing DTV customers can have both DTV over Satellite and Internet for one price?
what's the point of the dtv stream box when the genie switches over to the internet when signal is lost??

Don't worry, this will all change a few more times before the Sats run out of fuel ...
The company might not even exist by then.
i wonder if dtv stream will be around if people arer thinking with there wallets looking ofr cheaper options and watching everything on demand. and there getting another price hike

But the Ospry IS a Streaming device ... just like a Roku or a Firestick as far as I have been able to tell.
Just D*'s version of one.
The osprey box gives you the feel of cable/satellite as it has a legit remote so you can type in 206 and get ESPN instead of scrolling through the guide to get to ESPN
You can use on demand on it and load apps.
That was my gripe with Sling. If I wanted to go to say Vice or USA I had to press down arrow numerous times on my roku to get to USA (as the guide was listed alphabetically)

Reactions: I WANT MORE
Status
Please reply by conversation.