DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
They are also talking about going to 18 games but only allowing players to play in 16 of the 18 each year as a way to address injuries. Not sure if they can get the players union to go along with it but I kind of hope they do as that would be a very interesting addition - you'd have to think about when you want to sit your stars. If they do that it will add inventory to NFLST. Otherwise spreading the season across 18 weeks instead of 17 means even fewer NFLST games. I wonder if Directv has anything in their NFLST contract to adjust pricing if they have fewer or more NFLST games due to NFL scheduling changes?
I would HATE to see that happen ...
Play a game without your best players ?
Who is to determine whose the teams best players, Goodell ?

I would HATE to see that happen ...
Play a game without your best players ?
Who is to determine whose the teams best players, Goodell ?

The team's coach and GM would figure this out. It is no different than the need for pitching rotations since you can't start your best pitcher every day.

The question becomes whether you sit them in "easy" games, sit them the week before a "big" game to rest them up like it was a 'bye', or try to hold their off games in reserve in case they become injured - though if you wait too long and they don't get injured they have to sit the last two games which you might need to win.

You wouldn't have to sit ALL your best players in the same game. You might sit offensive players in a game against a team with terrible D, pass rushers against a team that mostly runs, and so forth. It is really not much different than a player getting a sprained ankle and having to miss a couple weeks, except it is something you have at least a modicum of control over.

It would be especially interesting if you don't have to let anyone know ahead of time like you do with injuries, so the opponent doesn't know for sure who they are preparing against. And of you course you don't know for sure who you have to prepare against.

Do you even watch football?
The team's coach and GM would figure this out. It is no different than the need for pitching rotations since you can't start your best pitcher every day.

The question becomes whether you sit them in "easy" games, sit them the week before a "big" game to rest them up like it was a 'bye', or try to hold their off games in reserve in case they become injured - though if you wait too long and they don't get injured they have to sit the last two games which you might need to win.

You wouldn't have to sit ALL your best players in the same game. You might sit offensive players in a game against a team with terrible D, pass rushers against a team that mostly runs, and so forth. It is really not much different than a player getting a sprained ankle and having to miss a couple weeks, except it is something you have at least a modicum of control over.

It would be especially interesting if you don't have to let anyone know ahead of time like you do with injuries, so the opponent doesn't know for sure who they are preparing against. And of you course you don't know for sure who you have to prepare against.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Vegas would pull thier hair out.

From the report:

“AT&T may not want to pay $1.5 billion per year for Sunday Ticket, but it also surely doesn’t want to endure the mass exodus of DirecTV customers if/when DirecTV no longer is part of the package.”

NFL Sunday Ticket is No. 1 reason people have subscribed to DirecTV. So, AT&T needs it. If the television part of AT&T gradually dies out over the next few years, as some have suggested in their writings, then this can be looked at as AT&T biding its time with DirecTV. But, still, AT&T likely figures it has to have NFL Sunday Ticket.

I personally don’t subscribe to DirecTV because of NFL Sunday Ticket. I subscribe because of programming. That it is the best choice for me, and my family, for linear HD. But, I don’t think too many people are motivated to subscribe to DirecTV for that reason. They choose it as No. 1 because of NFL Sunday Ticket.

Reactions: navychop
NFL Sunday Ticket is No. 1 reason people have subscribed to DirecTV.

That's not true. They'd have to have a lot more NFLST subscribers for it to be the 'No. 1 reason' people subscribed to Directv. A few years ago it was reported that three million Directv subscribers get NFLST, which included both the people paying for it nad the people who are getting it as a freebie for like when signing up as a new customer.

There are probably a couple million people who subscribe to Directv ONLY because of NFLST, and will have no reason not to choose another provider if they can get NFLST elsewhere. Probably safe to assume they'd lose most of those since they can get cheaper prices from other providers, especially with new customer deals.

Vegas would pull thier hair out.
Bigger issue would be the fan experience. It'd cause a lot of issues with fantasy football and some fans that go to one game end up not seeing their favorite players on the field? That's not going to work, it's just a starting point.

Also not just going to add another bye, 18 game season is about maximizing revenues. If the suggestion or change doesn't do that then it's not realistic.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Amazon is in talks to acquire the rights for the National Football League’s “Sunday Ticket” package and is seen as the front-runner by others involved in talks with the league, according to people familiar with the matter.

This is good news, Sunday Ticket will be available to a lot more people then the 15 million that subscribe to DirecTV.

The best thing is you do not have to have a pay TV service to get it.

Amazon is in talks to acquire the rights for the National Football League’s “Sunday Ticket” package and is seen as the front-runner by others involved in talks with the league, according to people familiar with the matter.

This is good news, Sunday Ticket will be available to a lot more people then the 15 million that subscribe to DirecTV.

The best thing is you do not have to have a pay TV service to get it.
Nope, you'll have to have an Amazon Prime sub instead, more than likely ... they are not going to GIVE it away ... also you'll fine a over $200 price on the ST (in addition to the Prime membership) more than likely.

So, if you have no internet, OR internet issues, this will be very interesting.

Today marks the first time a Major School goes with a game on INTERNET only (that I know of) ...
Notre Dame and Toledo play on the internet only today.
Every other ND game forever has been on NBC Network TV .
What WAS a big chance for many Toledo fans to see thier local team on TV (before the MacAction faze of ESPN come in later in the year.
Nope, no Local TV available.

Instead, local TV gets a soccer game. Thrilling.

Toledo will get blown out over all in this game, but it take as prime opportunity to see the Home Team.

I'm sure Some will watch the game on the internet .... however, the internet and figuring out IF it will work on the TV will be an experience that many won't fight with and end up skipping the game.

You can watch network TV on any TV in the home, you can't watch Internet on many.

Reactions: AZ.
Nope, you'll have to have an Amazon Prime sub instead, more than likely ... they are not going to GIVE it away ... also you'll fine a over $200 price on the ST (in addition to the Prime membership) more than likely.
Ok, your battles against TV via the internet has continued, here are some numbers based on what I posted-

In the United States, industry sources estimated a subscriber count of 147 million in 2021.

So what has the most potential for more Sunday Ticket subscribers, Amazon with 147 million or DirecTV with 15 million.

Also strange you are against Prime members only ( which there is no evidence yet) having access to NFST, when right now only D* subs have access.

You can watch network TV on any TV in the home, you can't watch Internet on many.
What?

With a streaming device you can watch TV programming on any TV ( both paid and free ).

Reactions: AZ.

So, if you have no internet, OR internet issues, this will be very interesting.

Today marks the first time a Major School goes with a game on INTERNET only (that I know of) ...
Notre Dame and Toledo play on the internet only today.
Every other ND game forever has been on NBC Network TV .
What WAS a big chance for many Toledo fans to see thier local team on TV (before the MacAction faze of ESPN come in later in the year.
Nope, no Local TV available.

Instead, local TV gets a soccer game. Thrilling.

Toledo will get blown out over all in this game, but it take as prime opportunity to see the Home Team.

I'm sure Some will watch the game on the internet .... however, the internet and figuring out IF it will work on the TV will be an experience that many won't fight with and end up skipping the game.

Before espn..very few college games were on tv..

I wouldn't be surprised if it actually ends up costing bars less if Amazon NFLST happens. Many likely already have the internet service, just a matter of a solution to get it to the TVs. Wouldn't be able to drop their other service entirely, but no longer relying on DirecTV for the NFL could be a big hit to commercial subs as they opt for local cable options where it makes sense to do so.

So how would sports bars handle ST on Prime? Would there still be a wired option?
Good question. Same holds for Thursday Night Football starting next season, when it's exclusively available on Prime Video (with the exception that a local OTA station in each playing team's home market will also carry the game). Maybe Amazon does commercial licensing for sports bars, etc. but still delivers it to them only via OTT streaming (same as for residential viewers). Maybe they also offer an option for those establishments to access the games via satellite (e.g. by paying DirecTV for carriage on their system). Or maybe those games are simply unavailable (legally, anyhow) for screening in commercial establishments.

Will be interesting to see what Amazon does with TNF a year from now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.