DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I highly doubt that 99% of the country has an unobstructed view, don't live in an apartment building or with co-op boards restricting what you can put on your house.
HOAs also, I know the FCC has certain rules that says you can put up a Dish, but HOAs are notorious for making your life hell to prevent it.

I remember looking for Houses here on Zillow, wanting nothing to do with a HOA, with the filter on to avoid them, the options decreased from the Hundreds to the teens.

Sounds great but what happens when you go on vacation...or move..or change internet providers
What would change?
Nothing, go to Netflix’s account page, they have there under Devices-Location, IP Address and what type of device and Serial Number.

Even if your IP address changed, they would still know where you are and what device, so if they see a device activated, like a Roku outside your normal location, they will know you are password sharing.

Nothing, go to Netflix’s account page, they have there under Devices-Location, IP Address and what type of device and Serial Number.

Even if your IP address changed, they would still know where you are and what device, so if they see a device activated, like a Roku outside your normal location, they will know you are password sharing.
So you buy a new roku..then what?.. spend hours on the phone

So you buy a new roku..then what?.. spend hours on the phone
At your Home location, just like it is now.

If you are in a different location then your home, I assume there will be options, as Nash said, charge a extra $5 per device outside your home that is not mobile.

You are not supposed to use Dish/DirecTV outside your Home, for example at a Vacation/Cabin/Second Home, but I know many do.

At your Home location, just like it is now.

If you are in a different location then your home, I assume there will be options, as Nash said, charge a extra $5 per device outside your home that is not mobile.

You are not supposed to use Dish/DirecTV outside your Home, for example at a Vacation/Cabin/Second Home, but I know many do.
Oh but thats not been the rule with netflix ever

Sounds great but what happens when you go on vacation...or move..or change internet providers
I believe DTV lets you change your "home network" once or twice per year in case you move or something. I guess changing internet providers (or possibly even gateways/modems/routers) could count as a changing to a new home network too? Anyhow, it wouldn't be hard to make the system lax enough to allow for those sorts of very infrequent situations. When you're sharing your account with a separate household, there's going to be an ongoing back-and-forth of TVs in each location using the service, and sometimes both even using it at the same time. Shouldn't be too hard to structure the rules to prevent that unless you pay a little extra for that option.

Oh but thats not been the rule with netflix ever
Right. But as streaming increasingly replaces traditional pay TV (cable/sat), we'll see it held to tighter rules, more like we see with traditional. Up until now, streaming has been the hungry underdog looking to grow subscribers more than anything else, and has been willing to turn a blind eye to account sharing so as not to offend customers. (Plus, hey, sharing means more folks are sampling your product and getting hooked on it.) But now the streaming industry, starting with Netflix, is entering a more mature era. Free rides are coming to an end.

Reactions: SamCdbs

Not gonna happen ... with all the people out there, they don't check every person every minute of the day.

Thats like the chances of getting caught with D* at a bar (personal account) you May get caught, some day .... D* does spot check bars for that during the season, but rarely will they walk in and find someone.

I believe DTV lets you change your "home network" once or twice per year in case you move or something. I guess changing internet providers (or possibly even gateways/modems/routers) could count as a changing to a new home network too? Anyhow, it wouldn't be hard to make the system lax enough to allow for those sorts of very infrequent situations. When you're sharing your account with a separate household, there's going to be an ongoing back-and-forth of TVs in each location using the service, and sometimes both even using it at the same time. Shouldn't be too hard to structure the rules to prevent that unless you pay a little extra for that option.
WAIT a minute .....
Whats this DTV and your Home Network ?

The Internet is NOT required to have D* service, never has been.

Not gonna happen ... with all the people out there, they don't check every person every minute of the day.
Oh, Netflix *definitely* has systems in place that know at any given moment which devices (e.g. iPhone vs. Roku TV vs. web browser) are accessing a given account, and where those devices are located (geo location and IP address). All the SVODs do. It's not hard at all for them to suss out when an account is being shared between households.

WAIT a minute .....
Whats this DTV and your Home Network ?

The Internet is NOT required to have D* service, never has been.
If you look at that in context of my earlier posts on this thread today, you'll see I'm referring to DTV Stream. I was just a bit lazy and only typed "DTV" in that most recent post. (At this point, they use "DIRECTV" to refer to the overall brand and specify their two services as "DIRECTV Stream" and "DIRECTV Satellite.")

Oh, Netflix *definitely* has systems in place that know at any given moment which devices (e.g. iPhone vs. Roku TV vs. web browser) are accessing a given account, and where those devices are located (geo location and IP address). All the SVODs do. It's not hard at all for them to suss out when an account is being shared between households.
Of course they do ... but that doesn't mean they are going to do a sweep of everybodys account at one time and shut anyone down that isn't at home.

If I have an account at home, I sure as hell better be able to go to my 2nd location and watch My Service there.
And not on some 6" cell phone.

If you look at that in context of my earlier posts on this thread today, you'll see I'm referring to DTV Stream. I was just a bit lazy and only typed "DTV" in that most recent post. (At this point, they use "DIRECTV" to refer to the overall brand and specify their two services as "DIRECTV Stream" and "DIRECTV Satellite.")
Sorry ...

Of course they do ... but that doesn't mean they are going to do a sweep of everybodys account at one time and shut anyone down that isn't at home.

If I have an account at home, I sure as hell better be able to go to my 2nd location and watch My Service there.
And not on some 6" cell phone.
Note that the hypothetical rules I outlined earlier are what *I* think would make sense. It's not a description of what Netflix (or any other SVOD) is going to implement. All we know with regard to Netflix is that they've been testing an account sharing plan in certain LatAm markets this year and it appears that they're going to bring it -- or something similar -- to the US next year. I do think that what they've been doing in test markets aims to account for subs who travel a lot but I'm not sure of the specifics of how it's implemented. I don't think it necessarily distinguishes between TVs vs. smaller screens.

Right. But as streaming increasingly replaces traditional pay TV (cable/sat), we'll see it held to tighter rules, more like we see with traditional. Up until now, streaming has been the hungry underdog looking to grow subscribers more than anything else, and has been willing to turn a blind eye to account sharing so as not to offend customers. (Plus, hey, sharing means more folks are sampling your product and getting hooked on it.) But now the streaming industry, starting with Netflix, is entering a more mature era. Free rides are coming to an end.
I just dont the rules will be accepted

Even a service I use that I won't go into here has an easy solution for password sharing. I can stream to 2 IPs concurrently (any number of streams from that IP). If more than 2 stream at one time all are locked out for 15 minutes.

None of this hardware management stuff w/ the streamer is necessary, get out of the cable / satellite box mindset. Your credentials do that work, not mac IDs, etc.

Youtube and others have solved the region stuff too, if I watch YTTV over my work VPN sometimes i'll be prompted to confirm my DMA.

All very quick and painless, it's their value proposition / problem to solve, I wouldn't stress over it until they put it forward for your consideration.

AppleTV+, Amazon and Google all explicitly support family sharing in different ways, via their own dedicated accounts.

Long story short, you'll be able to get your content wherever you login from. The details behind that should be prompted / transparent from there. Anyone pushing limits will hit guardrails and steered in the right direction.

Thats like the chances of getting caught with D* at a bar (personal account) you May get caught, some day .... D* does spot check bars for that during the season, but rarely will they walk in and find someone.
This is a bit different though because games play at 1 and 4 PM... on Sunday. Spotify and Sling knows how to deal with this. Limit the number of streams. 1 or 2 hard wired, 1 or 2 wireless. Go above that, no go. And this actually works, because unlike Netflix, the games are at two specific times, so overlapping usage is guaranteed.

The larger problem is the commercial side. DirecTV is a physical object, has a binding contract with its customers, and is well secured. There are over one million bars in the USA. There is very little reason for a quiet neighborhood type place with a regular local customer base, to pay the commercial rate for ST. I know the place I frequent the most, we just watch ESPN+ or the Apple baseball or whatever on somebody’s password.

There are not enough ASCAP spies to enforce it.

ESPN probably doesn't care too much if a bar is showing ESPN+ - because they will already be paying them commercial rates for ESPN via Directv or their cable company. Apple is just starting to show baseball so they probably haven't even thought about enforcing this, and may end up making a deal with Directv that covers it if they get NFLST and can throw this in and maybe MLS too.

But your local bar is taking a tremendous risk because all it takes is one person to report them - maybe they got kicked out some night and hold a grudge, or they own the bar down the street that follows the rules and are pissed that their regulars are going to the place that doesn't.

Then someone is sent to check it out, and they get sued for six figures. Few bars survive those lawsuits, most close. It may not be policed for ESPN+ but it has been will continue to be for NFLST. And it would be easy to tell if Apple overlays their logo on the NFLST stream they provide, but not on the NFLST that's shown on Directv.

Status
Please reply by conversation.